Chest Hair

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by wyatt., Mar 28, 2004.

1. wyatt.

wyatt. New Member

ok so something i've been wondering about for awhile is chest hair.

i'm only 17 and therefore have none yet the idea of getting it doesn't really appeal to me.

and then you look at the media and there are guys who are like 40 without it.

what do they do to get rid of it? just shaving? and is it...i dunno. bad or fake to get rid of it?

2. tott

tott slightly dizzy

Wax/shave... It's very common nowadays to get rid of it, I don't see a problem with it!

Otoh, a bit of chesthair can be really sexy. As long as it's not a rug.

3. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

im with you totally B)

4. tgp

tgp New Member

agree-I know a lot of men who use a trimmer to keep it short and neat

5. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Waxing has become pretty popular... I, myself, prefer guys w/o chest hair, but a lot of women (as in my mother, but keep in mind she's a generation or two ahead of me) find hair to be sexy and "manly".

6. gruveechik

gruveechik New Member

Glad you're asking this before you start sprouting :p

In my opinion, and in the opinion of most of my girlfriends, chest hair is very very sexy - it is utterly masculine. That being said, it all depends on your own personal hair distribution factor. i have discussed this a lot with me gals, and we tend to agree:

1) It's super sexy to have your chest and tummy covered with downy hair, or with hair that's a little coarser. If the hairs are of a pubic-type coarseness :blink: then er.. not good. You may be able to get away with super coarse hair if it's kept less than 1.5 inches long.

Good examples of hairy men are: Alec Baldwin, Sean Connery, and i think Mel Gibson, but i can't recall if he's got a fuzzy chest or not. If your hair's too long/too coarse, then trimming would be the best option.. NOT shaving - EVER!

2) i personally dislike a chest that has 6 straggly little hairs trying to make a presence... uhm.. that's after you've sprouted over the years... sometimes it takes a while. If after you've thoroughly sprouted and you've got this little poor patch, then you're better off w/out them - it's not manly - i think it'd be best to just wax/pluck them off.

3) If you're smooth, then you're smooth - there's nothing wrong with that at all, in fact, on the right body and at the right age it is highly appealing. What i dislike is a man who HAS hair but chooses to shave - very VERY gross! :sick: The guy ends up looking and feeling like a plucked chicken, and there's nothing grosser than running your hands along a stubbly chest - actually, there is: having the skin grated off your face as you try to nuzzle.

4) on the other end, while i'm at it, back and shoulder hair ain't happening ... this is where i'd condone waxing.

5) word of advice: when you start sprouting, even if grow quite a patch and you get alarmed.. please don't ever ever ever shave - each time you shave you will end up making your hair coarser and on the way to becoming that icky pubic-hair level of coarseness.

good luck and may you be blessed with perfect hair distribution.

7. tott

tott slightly dizzy

When will this "knowledge" disappear from public consciousness?

8. gruveechik

gruveechik New Member

When will this "knowledge" disappear from public consciousness? [/b][/quote]
    eh? whadja mean?

i'm speaking from personal experience - some spots i've shaved on my own body have ended up coarser. i know technically speaking, this isn't supposed to happen,
    that it seems coarser b/c the hair has been cut, but i swear the regrowth is thicker.

also, my hubs had finer hair on his body, and the bug SHAVED it while we were dating - aaaugh! the full regrowth is definitely coarser than what he had before. he's observed the same thing happened to his bro, who shaves every month and each time it gets coarser and coarser. my BFs before - same thing when they shaved. i don't know why it happens, it may be an 'old wives tale' but for some reason there is some semblance of truth to it.

i also felt moved to 'warn' our 17yr old pre-sprouter about shaving impatiently b/c i've heard so many times from men that they went ahead and shaved their faces or chests, before they should have, and that it affected the growth and consistency of their hair. Here's one story: one bloke comes from an eastern country where the men have various traditions and teach their sons how to shave or what to do about getting a good hair distribution. His dad told him to that when he was ready to shave, his dad would show him how to do it right, otherwise if he did it too early and incorrectly, it'd be mucked up. Sure enough, my pal went ahead and did it anyway, and his growth is totally screwy. yup, i'm not a guy, but i think if there are such male practices/traditions, there must be something to it.. just wanted to share this tale. i've also heard that they've been warned not to shave their chests.

9. banana

banana New Member

Don't shave your chest hair. It makes it all prickly to touch and that's not appealing. :yuk:

10. tott

tott slightly dizzy

OK, here's how it works: When you're born, your skin cells have the *potential* to grow hair practically all over your body.

Body hair usually starts growing when you hit puberty, how much and where is individual. Your body can/will continue to "activate" hair growth on body parts until you're around 40-45; after that it's unlikely that hair will begin to sprout anywhere on your body.

Let's say you have your leg hairs removed by laser at the age of 25: This will kill the hairs that grow from active cells, not the "unactivated" dormant ones... So you may end up still growing hairs on your supposedly hair-free legs.

Soo, if you for instance start shaving your legs at 14, you can practically bet that they will be hairier when you're 25. Not because you shaved, but because your body produced more and probably coarser hair as well. As we grow older, the hairs often get a bit coarser as the hair growth matures because of hormones and stuff. This has nothing to do with shaving itself.

I can compare with my facial hairs, my would-be beard unless I shaved it. I had very light growth from 12-25, then it slowly started getting heavier and coarser for a few years. I had shaved for 13 years with no effect on the growth...

11. gruveechik

gruveechik New Member

aha - very interesting... i appreciate the scientific explanation for this.
    thank you for clarifying.

uhm.. i'm going to remain a bit stubborn and hold to the recommendation to please please don't shave your chest hair. ;)

12. tott

tott slightly dizzy

As far as I know, there aren't any universal traditions when it comes to learning about shaving...

It's just some shaving soap/cream/gel and a razor. You can't "muck it up" by shaving the wrong way, unless shaving the wrong way means slicing off thick chunks of skin... No offence, but I'm totally mystified by this notion.

Some people have "strange" patterns of hair growth, some don't have full growth until they're 35, some never do; it's very individual.

13. ahhGucci

ahhGucci Active Member

As far as I know, there aren't any universal traditions when it comes to learning about shaving...

It's just some shaving soap/cream/gel and a razor. You can't "muck it up" by shaving the wrong way, unless shaving the wrong way means slicing off thick chunks of skin... No offence, but I'm totally mystified by this notion.

Some people have "strange" patterns of hair growth, some don't have full growth until they're 35, some never do; it's very individual. [/b][/quote]
    You can apparently. If you use a razor that pulls the roots out, or shave it so close that you pull out or expose the roots beofre you should, it screws it up.
    A bit of advice. When shaving for the first time, never use a razor, and don't cut it too close. Don't shave parts of your face that arent in the beard region (beleive me, I know a few who have)
    Never NEVER use someone elses razor. You literraly get a beard of spots. (beleive me, I know a few who do)

And it is better to trim with scizzors before you start shaving I hear. (beleive me, you can still cut it close with a pair)

You don't beleive me :innocent: (How many times did I say beleive me? :lol:)

14. tealady

tealady New Member

I think a chest without any hair is too boyish. I prefer a "manly man" with lots of chest hair! :heart:

15. tott

tott slightly dizzy

To never use someone elses razor is just common sense to me. Like sticking to your own toothbrush.

For the other stuff, never heard it before. Maybe we don't get the same kind of information in different parts of the world... :p

16. metal-on-metal

The whole coarser regrowth thing is a myth, I believe.

When hair grows naturally, the ends taper off smoothly. But when you shave hair and it regrows, the ends are blunt and the hair feels much coarser. Simple as that!

17. saad

saad New Member

as long as its not a rug, im fine with it.
    im 19 and i've got some.. sometimes i wish i hadnt, but then i hear all the people who think its sexy to have a little chest hair and i go :rolleyes:
    :shock:
    :lol:

18. Mask OF Life

Mask OF Life New Member

*gets distracted*
    i luv ur avator chickon. patsy is so funny :lol:

wax no shave :rolleyes:

19. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

A bit of chest hair is sexy. A little "treasure trail" down the stomach makes me want to follow it... :brows:

If your body hair is soft, it can feel very good to somebody who is snuggling up to you (or doing other things...) ;)

Right. I will stop being all dirty now.

I think shaving/waxing/plucking is incredibly naff. That stuff grows back, you know, so there will be stubble which would not be attractive. Also, it could look pretty unnatural if you have quite a bit of hair on your arms and legs. We *are* mammals, you know. Hair's natural.

Granted, I am not into super-hairy dudes, but I think I would probably be kind of freaked out by a guy who actively removed his body hair. Then again, I'm not exactly religious about shaving my own legs, and I don't shave my armpits (OMG, the itching, the itching!!) so what do I know. I'm a hippie that way.

20. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V.R

I don't grow any visible hair, thank God :heart:

Sorry Tea :lol: