Chris Rock To Host Oscars

sugarpea

Reaction score
Chris Rock to Be Host of Academy Awards

By ANTHONY BREZNICAN, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES - The Oscars (news - web sites) have a piece of the Rock. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (news - web sites) on Thursday announced Chris Rock will host the next Academy Awards (news - web sites) telecast.

Rock, who's been in the films "Head of State" and "Dogma," is best known for his standup comedy specials "Bigger & Blacker," "Bring the Pain" and "Never Scared."

Rock, 39, has previously hosted the MTV's Movie Awards.

"I am a huge fan of Chris Rock," said Gil Cates, the producer of the Oscars telecast. "He always makes me laugh and he always has something interesting to say. Chris represents the best of the new generation of comics. Having him host the Oscars is terrific."

The one-time "Saturday Night Live" regular has won three Emmys for his TV programs and two Grammys (news - web sites) for his comedy albums. Rock currently is shooting a remake of "The Longest Yard" with Adam Sandler and recently provided the voice of the zebra in the animated feature "Madagascar," both to be released in May 2005. His other film credits include "Pootie Tang," "Bad Company," "Down to Earth" and "Nurse Betty."

The 77th Academy Awards telecast is set for Feb. 27.

Are the Oscars going to be funny now? I think they are more serious than any of the other award shows. I would think he would be more appropriate for the Globes or MTV awards, or People's Choice...

Why does every awards show have to be comedic?

I adore Chris Rock. I never watch those award shows, but I may this year, on account of him. He's damn hilarious.

Who hosted this year? Billy Chrystal? I love him but god he was boring. Hes so cookie cutter, Chris Rock should give it a little spice.

This year has been such a lame awards year. I miss the Micheal Moore outbursts and underdogs winning (I was 10000 percent for Daniel Day-Lewis and than Adrien gave his speech and he won me over I MISS THAT). And Hale Berry's sob story CLASSIC.

Anything unexpected is good. Last year I turned it off halfway through. Predictability sucks.

Wow, Chris Rock's cool. I like that guy. Very funny! :P

I've never been a fan of Chris Rock..but when I finally watched Bigger & Blacker on DVD, I found him hilarious.

i adore him ...one of my faves...
really smart and funny... (great to work with too... :wink: )

I think he'll be great, probably breathe some life into the ceremony
I love him, he's hilarious :lol: :flower:

:woot: softgrey, you've worked with him? I bow to you :blush: :flower:

I'm guessing there will be a lot of crack jokes - those are the majority of jokes I've heard from him :lol:

this is a very surprising and bold move from the oscars given recent events (janet, et. al)...i wonder how many seconds delay they'll put on the telecast...?

Nice choice for host. I certainly look forward to staying awake throughout the whole show.. ^_^

i'm tired of old hollywood jokes, maybe chris is a breath of fresh air but i wouldn't hold my breath

Originally posted by mdankwah@Oct 19 2004, 01:50 PM
i'm tired of old hollywood jokes, maybe chris is a breath of fresh air but i wouldn't hold my breath
[snapback]401871[/snapback]​

yeah...it's going to be more scripted than the republican national convention.

I love Chris Rock I was wondering the other day where he's been hiding :lol:

He is one of my favorite comedians. I bet this Oscar Ceremony is going to be edgy to say the least, lololol!:lol:

Chris Rock to Be Host of Academy Awards

By ANTHONY BREZNICAN, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES - The Oscars (news - web sites) have a piece of the Rock. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (news - web sites) on Thursday announced Chris Rock will host the next Academy Awards (news - web sites) telecast.

Rock, who's been in the films "Head of State" and "Dogma," is best known for his standup comedy specials "Bigger & Blacker," "Bring the Pain" and "Never Scared."

Rock, 39, has previously hosted the MTV's Movie Awards.

"I am a huge fan of Chris Rock," said Gil Cates, the producer of the Oscars telecast. "He always makes me laugh and he always has something interesting to say. Chris represents the best of the new generation of comics. Having him host the Oscars is terrific."

The one-time "Saturday Night Live" regular has won three Emmys for his TV programs and two Grammys (news - web sites) for his comedy albums. Rock currently is shooting a remake of "The Longest Yard" with Adam Sandler and recently provided the voice of the zebra in the animated feature "Madagascar," both to be released in May 2005. His other film credits include "Pootie Tang," "Bad Company," "Down to Earth" and "Nurse Betty."

The 77th Academy Awards telecast is set for Feb. 27.

I personally don't think Chris Rock is a great choice as a host but then again, this event somehow deserves a big turning point from being a boring show of long speeches & self-promotions.

i like last year's show though.

i think that's an old article non? from the first post..

anyways hugh jackman is hosting this year's oscars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->