Christian Dior 1996-2002 : John Galliano's Early Days

Discussion in 'History of Style : A Remembrance of Things Past' started by j´adore dior, Aug 8, 2005.

1. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

Yeahhhhh....lol it's true.

Funny how any time this thread pops up in my notifications, it's a thrill...it's like...what surprise will we get now?! Galliano's Dior still manages to excite more than anything else that's been coming out for the last 10 years.

2. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Wow! I haven’t seen this video since the 2000’s literally!
    Such a fabulous collection and still to this day my favorite ever he did for Dior!
    It’s a monumental show!

I hope one day the real full video (with John’s full bow) will come out!

I think the person who posted the video edited it and added the soundtrack from JH’s musical library.

Someone in John’s camp must post his whole Dior tenure on YouTube/Vimeo. I’ve never seen the FW1999 RTW entirely!

3. Mr-Dale

Mr-Dale Unveil Yourself....

Lol yes, I think they filmed it off a tv screen...but still!! So many highlights, I got chills from the sheer drama and elegance brought by Oluchi, Erin, Anastassia - GOD those headdresses are still just so beyond. And I never realized how gorgeous and long Alek’s skirt was, I don’t think I’ve ever seen it from a side angle. I love how modern most of it still feels and I’m stoked to finally see it all in motion.

4. FashionMuseDior

FashionMuseDior Well-Known Member

Yeah it's pretty weird because the person could easily just upload the DVR recording but still, better than nothing!

I totally forgot about that one... we only have one very short clip from the AP Archive, with Gisele saying bye to the photographers as she walks away and a Jolene by Dolly Parton remix soundtrack.

It feels really greedy but now that you think about it, both Haute Couture FW 97 and 98 are not complete, just short clips here and there. I would love to see those two as well.

5. dior_couture1245

Ok...it’s true. It’s one of John’s absolute best Couture collections...hence the decades long anticipation we all had to see the full video.

Watching it, I was struck by how truly original the whole thing is. You see all the references...Kate Moss, Mexican Catholicism, Aztec Paganism, Hollywood starlets like Jean Harlow and Marlene Dietrich, American road trip Mad Max...and yet it still manages to come off in its complete form as an absolutely unique thing. And it’s really moving. The music, the production, the models, the hair and makeup...it’s so deep and fabulous and magical and real.

Frida and Mr-Dale like this.
  6. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting @Mr-Dale ! Can't remember the last time a fashion show gave me goosebumps. The emotional effect and sheer force of great fashion in John's early Dior shows is just unparalleled (completely unbiased here :lol:).

aracic, Frida and dior_couture1245 like this.
  7. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

8. FashionMuseDior

Don't forget those two iconic dresses blowing up as wind comes underneath the runway, like a modern day Marilyn Monroe's "The Seven Year Itch". Absolutely magical.

He also took a lot of inspiration in a region of South America called "Los Andes", I love the fact that some models looked and acted like exotic birds from that place.

Frida likes this.
  9. FashionMuseDior

Remember when Destiny's Child wore that iconic Lauryn Hill collection?

[​IMG]
    pinterest.com/irvrsbl

10. velvetandsilk

velvetandsilk Member

It is very problematic because copyright law is very specific and we don't know the exact provisions of the contract with Dior. Sometimes artist when work for somebody all waive your rights.

11. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

Most of the shows are out there anyway, just in bad quality / not official version.

I tried retrieving some of them from FTV but no reply.

12. velvetandsilk

velvetandsilk Member

Private company never share own archives common people. FashionTV always changed music and edited shows. Sometimes you can use some scene for example if you want make fashion document, but it is not for free. Watch official version old fashion shows on the Internet is very hard due to music copyright. Today very often fashion houses change music on the official youtube chanel few hours after livestream. Prada make shows on the webside available, but of course without music.

YohjiAddict likes this.
  13. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

14. dior_couture1245

^^I will never get over that enormous fur coat being worn just by the hood by Karolina with a little baby tee and mini skirt and Eskimo boots. Truly fabulous.

Lola701 and avonlea002 like this.
  15. MagFan

MagFan Well-Known Member

Anne Bass in a suit from that collection
    [​IMG]
    us vogue august 2001
    archive.vogue.com by burbuja8910

susseinmcswanny likes this.