Christian Dior F/W 2016.17 : Julia Nobis by Steven Meisel

Discussion in 'Ad Campaigns' started by sixtdaily, Jun 28, 2016.

1. zzzyao76

zzzyao76 Well-Known Member

more pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    weibo/JuliaNobisFanPage
    [​IMG]
    weibo/c-oli

2. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Yes, it was styled by Carine!

I like it. It has allure and strengh.
    The campaign looks a bit "budget restrictions". I believe that with a big stylist, big photographer, big model they couldn't find a more exciting set.

Dior has never looked more sensual in recent years and that's an achievement.

3. cocolette

cocolette Member

Styled by Carine Roitfeld.

4. MyNameIs

MyNameIs Well-Known Member

I love it. So chic and sophisticated. Love the poses. Best Dior campaign in a LONG time. I'm happy we're done with the clinical lab campaigns.

5. anlabe32

anlabe32 Well-Known Member

Ugh, i'm really pissed. This could have been good cause the mediocre clothes actually look really nice (thanks to Meisel and a little to Carine) but Julia ruins it all. She's such a bad model, truly overrated for what she's able to perform. Plus she's just unappealing.

6. Wolkfolk

Wolkfolk When in doubt, wear red.

Well kudos to Dior for choosing Meisel. Very smart move. He may not be what he use to be but he's still the only photographer capable of elevating a huge mess of a collection into striking fashion images. He does it with Moschino and he did it with Dior this season.

I love the simplicity of the shots and the movement. The styling is soooo Roitfeld but I actually love it. It's the good Roitfeld we have here: sensual, very parisian , very feminine. I never thought Carine and Steven would end up working so much together but they're doing really well together actually.

7. Creative

Creative Well-Known Member

That's true though. I agree. And she looks much better in the rest of the pics. And all of them have "energy" in a way.

But I also agree with this:

#27 Creative, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited by moderator : Jun 28, 2016
  8. MON

MON Well-Known Member

The new images are so good, especially the second one.

First time in a long long while that I liked a Dior campaign, and a CR styling.

9. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Julia that much but this is so good! The whole thing! and even the clothes look nice which is shocking.

10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean, Pricciao. But I mostly associate transition periods (in any sense) with a form of neutrality, like making a clean sweep. The last thing you want to do is bombard your audience with yet another overwhelming aesthetic. Probably Dior is trying to keep things as simple and inoffensive as possible, making it easier for a new leader to adapt her audience to her change. They've just about rid the brand of Raf's clinical flow, much like they did with Galliano. It's quite logical when you think of it. Raf took office immediately after Galliano left, and was compelled to take an entire 90° bend away from the previous term. Chiuri will actually be in a fortunate position. She might not have to go that far because as it is, the current mood is rather nondescript.

11. Kanna

Kanna ...

Sleek and chic. I even prefer this to the previous ads under Galliano that Meisel shot.

#31 Kanna, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited by moderator toohey: Jun 28, 2016
  12. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

The 2nd and particularly 3rd(so Carine...) spreads are very strong compositions. The 1st is so awkward: The capture looks like she’s tripping, the awful just-out-of-the-shower hair, and her expressionless face…

Wise to go with a grey seamless when you can't afford/ can't come up with anything more extravagant or interesting for a background, but still want to remain chic.

13. burbuja8910

burbuja8910 Well-Known Member

The campaign is fine, on these days, Carine made some good works & other are very bad.

14. dcmaike

dcmaike Member

So much better than the girl gang last season. I love it!

15. maxlinden

maxlinden Active Member

It does look a little editorial-ish. It looks like the ads you see when you're shopping online.
    At least the campaign matches the collection, "tired"

16. rockangel

rockangel Active Member

I love it❤️

17. testinofan

testinofan ███████████████

are good better of SS16

18. justaguy

justaguy Well-Known Member

Love it! Very Versace/Avedon 90's, but I'll take it.

19. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

That awkwardness is why the first shot is the only one that worked for me - she's falling over and it elicits a reaction, making me feel as if I have to do something, reach into the shot and balance her or catch her.

I thought it was a clever technique, until I saw the other two shots, and realised I was seeing something more than what was there.

20. rip_ian curtis

rip_ian curtis Active Member

I like that first shot beacse the pose/movement reminds me a bit of the campaigns Nick Knight did for them under Galliano (the ones with Gisele or Stella). And of course, also very 90's Versace - which I love!

The clothes are funny in the sense that I don't see anything Dior or even French about them. They are so Italian or something Dries could've done, but not Dior.