Christian Dior F/W 2020.21 : Maty, Selena, Estelle, Maryel & Felice by Paola Mattioli

Meh.

I SAY I: Continuing her dialogue with feminist artists, Maria Grazia Chiuri, artistic director of women’s collections at Dior, has unveiled a fall advertising campaign inspired by Marcella Campagnano.

Shot by Paola Mattioli, the ads featured a mosaic of portraits of models, representing different feminine roles and identities. It references “The Invention of Femininity,” Campagnano’s photographic series from the Seventies in which she poses as female archetypes including a mother, student, prostitute, bride and pregnant woman.

Models re-create the feel of the series, but are shown instead wearing items from the fall collection, which was shown on a set aglow with neon signs spelling out statements including “Consent,” “Patriarchy = Repression” and “We Are All Clitoridian Women” — the work of feminist art collective Claire Fontaine.

The campaign features Selena Forrest, Maryel Uchida, Marty Fall, Estelle Chen and Felice Noordhoff. Some of the models pose in a T-shirt printed with the name of the show, “I Say I,” a phrase lifted from a manifesto by Italian feminist Carla Lonzi, who was one of the figures who inspired the collection.

The Dior campaign was art directed by Fabien Baron, who also lensed an accompanying film. It was styled by Elin Svahn, with hair by Paul Hanlon and makeup by Peter Philips. It marks Mattioli’s first major campaign for Dior, coming on the heels of several campaigns shot by Brigitte Niedermair.

wwd

The Sunday Times Style Magazine Digital Edition

When you strip all the MCB narratives away it's basically glorified lookbook photography.

Selena looks so bad omg. This whole campaign is a disaster. Does not sell anything but despair.

So these are actually NOT look book images reused as a campaign???

There are more inspiring yearbooks out there.

"Most likely to bring feminism in a conversation that's got nothing to do with it"

How in the hell is Selena Forrest still being booked?

In MGC's case, it's likely her personality. She's got a really cool sort of 'screw the rules' personality, and her backstory is interesting. That's the case with Ruth and Cara as well. Mary must have a 'type', lol.
Very often it's not a model's 'look' that secures a relationship with the designer. I once read that that Mica had a Juan Luis Borges book with her when she did a Miu Miu casting. It also happened to be one of Miuccia's favourite books so the two connected over that and afterwards got those Prada/Miu Miu jobs.

Another uneventful and utterly mundane Christian Dior advertising campaign to add to the list, under MGC's tenure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->