Christian Dior Haute Couture F/W 10.11 Paris

I wonder where I will see these images, could it be for the Haute Couture supplement for Italian Vogue? I hope so.
I hope it appears in VI and serves as a fun and light break from all the dreary black and white and "important" editorials and covers that they have been favoring in recent times. Anyhoo, I am looking forward to seeing the photos wherever they appear. Weren't pictures taken of the Cruise collection, I remember seeing outtakes of Charlotte di Calypso? I think they appeared in Vogue China.

Last edited by a moderator:
It IS a tad tacky. But I love it. It's so visually stimulating and some of the garments moved so gorgeously. .

Random thoughts on the collection and show:

What I liked:
The shoes were amazing!

I am not one of those who confuse spectacle with couture, but I do like spectacle and I appreciate the campy fun of a Dior by Galliano show up to and including John's finale walk. I was a wee bit disappointed that John was not more flamboyant, those little sprigs in his hat were not enough, I was hoping for the full Carmen Miranda.

I really liked the schizo-ness of the collection, yes the flower theme was clear throughout, but there was no gentle progression from one species or color scheme to another, rather we careened from one segment of the color wheel to the next. I also like how the flower references in the designs ranged from subtle to in-your-face literal.

I do think that the ball gowns were throw-aways - there was not a lot of design there just some nice fabric thrown over the same chassis / silhouette, but they were dramatic and pretty and I am a girl, so it's all good. Also, I am not completely dismissive of the talent that goes into textile design and selection.

Loved the hair and the cellophane.

I just flat out liked most of the dresses that walked down the runway, my favorites are this one, and this one, this one too, along with this one, this one, hmmm maybe this one and last but not least this one.

What I didn't like:
That big *** flower clashed with many of the dresses. It was tres distracting in the still photos - thankfully the video was shot at an angle that Audrey III did not dominate.

I liked the lipstick, but I am getting bored with the kabuki-dragalicious-makeup gun set on wh*re makeup; I am fine if it is part of the context, but it has become the default position for Dior - Galliano shows.

I liked the use of that wool / cashmere / fleece material, but more often than not I did not like how that material was paired with other materials, those particular clashes did not work, but still I wouldn't mind seeing how Galliano incorporates this material in future designs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k3lse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->