Christian Dior Haute Couture F/W 2004.05 Paris

Originally posted by softgrey+Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:04 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:04 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Lena@Jul 6th, 2004 - 1:44 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Mr-Dale
@Jul 6th, 2004 - 7:41 pm
r1762565558.jpg

This is very Dior....the real Dior I mean....I'm in love!

yes offcourse still friends helena and Lena!!! :flower: :flower: :flower:
I now understand what you ment...

to me this beautiful, still it is very Vivienne, down to the crown and the pose..

and of course we are friends mrDale :heart:

edited to add: i can't type :lol:
um...hello... :unsure:

isn't everyone ignoring this fact...???!?!?!!!!

this is a COMPLETE RIP-OFF!!!!!!!!!!........EVEN DOWN TO THE MAKE-UP...I FIND THIS ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE AND UNFORGIVEABLE AT ONE OF THE BIGGEST COUTURE SHOWS IN THE WORLD>>>!!!!!!!

what are people paying for here?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!.....it's supposed to be the incredible design along with the workmanship that justifies the ludicrous prices...

but this is just like H&M!!!!!!...........total KNOCK_OFFS!!!!./.....
so shouldn't they be H&M prices?!?!?!?!?!?!..... :P :rolleyes:

:innocent: :ninja: [/b][/quote]
Although I really don't like the similarities to vivienne westwood (it just doesn't make sense to use a british figure for a very french brand). I don't think it is a completely awful thing. I mean can one designer venture into anothers themes without being a copycat?

I dunno, it is too similar to VW for my tastes but I still think it is unique and and don't think the quality of the clothes is subject to debate.

Originally posted by slinky_vagabond+Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:10 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slinky_vagabond @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:10 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Salvatore@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:08 pm
I think the big shows sell. It entices people in my opinion. I'm pretty sure everyone just has to take a glimpse at Dior. Then that's when the discussion starts. It creates a buzz. It's genius B)
Good bussiness, yes. Genius, god no. You make it sound like the man invented 'hype'. [/b][/quote]
I'm just saying that he does it well B)

Originally posted by Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 8:57 pm
Mr Dale..........are these couture profits true though?
i can believe that the couture sales are ok.....but do you think enough to produce the show+clothes+pay workers???

im almost certain that LVMH must subsidize this wing of its brand somehow, which is fine of corse
Yes it's true....I've read it in this article, but that was Dutch so that won't prove anything for ya :P and do some research on www.fashionfile.com and you'll hear Tim Blanks saying it a couple of times...(I think it's said in the Chinese HC show-coverage....not sure though)

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:07 pm
It has an Elizabeth I influence...Vivienne has a monopoly on those now?
it's not the elizabethan influence...it's the whole presentation of the show...and since vivienne did it 10 years ago...and galliano will probably admit that she was his 'inspiration'...then there you go!!!>...

i forgave the menwear collection because it had that johnny depp twist which was a galliano original element...but this is an insult....

you can't just copy another designer and then call them your 'inspiration'...that's just a big fat load of you know what.... :angry:

even marc jacobs put his own white stripes twist to his collection...galliano hasn't added anything of his own...except the nude bodices...WHICH ARE STUPID AND SUCK!!!

:( ...i want the old galliano back............................................ :cry: :ninja:

Originally posted by slinky_vagabond+Jul 6th, 2004 - 9:10 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slinky_vagabond @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 9:10 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Salvatore@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:08 pm
I think the big shows sell. It entices people in my opinion. I'm pretty sure everyone just has to take a glimpse at Dior. Then that's when the discussion starts. It creates a buzz. It's genius B)
Good bussiness, yes. Genius, god no. You make it sound like the man invented 'hype'. [/b][/quote]
It's a smart trick....a very ingenious trick if you'd ask me.....and to me the guy still is a genius...allthough I'm very aware that he didn't invent the word hype :wink:

ok so the couture sales account for 4% of the brand's total
img008.jpg

i cant quite figure out wether they;re saying their net profit is
A ) 1.127 million euros............ or
:cool: 1127 million euros

img005.jpg

Originally posted by Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 9:17 pm
img008.jpg

img005.jpg
It looks lik 1127....otherwise it would've said 0,428......but that seems unlikely......But I'm not talking about the share HC has in comparisom to the grand total....just the rise of HC sellings....see my point? :flower:

Originally posted by Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:17 pm
img008.jpg

img005.jpg
wines and spirits?....what wines and spirits?.... :wacko: :blink:

is this all of lvmh?...or just dior?...

in that case it must be LVMH :lol:

but i find it VERY hard to believe that their couture sales are equal to their watch and jewellery sales :blink:

Originally posted by softgrey+Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:21 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:21 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:17 pm
img008.jpg

img005.jpg
wines and spirits?....what wines and spirits?.... :wacko: :blink:

is this all of lvmh?...or just dior?... [/b][/quote]
that's what I was wondering about. cause I guess this is just for Dior, not LVMH ... ?

Originally posted by Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:24 pm
in that case it must be LVMH :lol:

but i find it VERY hard to believe that their couture sales are equal to their watch and jewellery sales :blink:
dude...i think you could sell two couture dresses and equal the watch and jwlry sales...the watches and jewelry are costume...so not all that pricey...

it could be possible...

The real question is...how much do CD monogram rulers, ice-cube makers, back-massagers, cucumber-dicers and garlic-crushers make up of their profits?

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:27 pm
The real question is...how much do CD monogram rulers, ice-cube makers, back-massagers, cucumber-dicers and garlic-crushers make up of their profits?
hahaha....i thought that was just gucci....?... :lol: :woot:

Originally posted by Mr-Dale@Jul 6th, 2004 - 10:58 am
:D :D :D I LOVE it....the waiting has paid of!

capt.par10907061523.france_fashion_par109.jpg

capt.par11007061537.france_fashion_par110.jpg
i would just like to say that no self-respecting woman would be caught dead in this atrocity... :wacko: :yuk:

Originally posted by softgrey+Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:28 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:28 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:27 pm
hahaha....i thought that was just gucci....?... :lol: :woot: [/b][/quote]
Well...whatever 'selective retailing' is, it sounds pretty dodgy to me... :innocent:

By Joelle Diderich

PARIS (Reuters) - Screen sirens were given a royal makeover at the Christian Dior haute couture show on Tuesday, where bombshell gowns fit for a showgirl were paired with diamond tiaras and furs in a decadently opulent mix.

It looked as if British designer John Galliano had raided the crown jewels as he bedecked models with chandelier earrings, jeweled crowns and even a gold orb and scepter.

But these were no stuffy European royals. Rather, they brought to mind the type of consort played by Marilyn Monroe in "The Prince and the Showgirl."

With their hair piled into messy pompadours and their tiaras perched skew-whiff, models preened to a rock 'n roll soundtrack in bustiers with conical bras and nipped-in waists that made for a 1950s hourglass figure.

Guests including actors Val Kilmer and Elizabeth Hurley trekked out to a polo club outside Paris for the display, causing a traffic jam in the normally tranquil Bois de Boulogne.

Kilmer had a simple reason for attending his first ever fashion show. "Women. What else do you want me to say?" the laid-back actor told reporters as he arrived.

Feminine curves abounded, with hips emphasized by giant folds of fabric and exaggerated fishtail skirts.

Handpainted cherubs on a cream silk dress reflected Galliano's fascination for the 18th century, when excess was celebrated in the baroque paintings of artists like Fragonard.

With a shrinking number of practitioners, haute couture is a symbol of excess in a fragile economic climate.

Every outfit on the catwalk is a one-off requiring hundreds of hours of work by skilled seamstresses and embroiderers using techniques handed down from generation to generation.

The dresses will travel around the world to be photographed for glossy fashion magazines before ending up in private collections or museums.

In the meantime, Galliano will tone down his extravagant designs to suit the tastes and pockets of the handful of wealthy women who can afford his made-to-measure creations.

The formula nonetheless makes perfect economic sense for LVMH, the luxury group that owns Dior, Givenchy and a slew of other labels. The show will generate acres of publicity, allowing it to shift more low-cost accessories and perfume.

While Galliano continues to delight his bosses, LVMH has yet to find a replacement for womenswear designer Julien Macdonald, who left its Givenchy label in March. With nobody to bow for the cameras, it has decided not to stage a press show this season.

The value of a star designer was underlined on Monday, when LVMH threw a glittering party to welcome British designer Ozwald Boateng as head of Givenchy's menswear division.

Earlier, Boateng drew hearty applause when he kicked off his debut collection with an animated film depicting him as a "Matrix"-inspired hero slicing through reams of fabric with a gleaming samurai sword -- a perfect exercise in self-publicity.

From www.yahoo.com

Originally posted by softgrey+Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:29 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:29 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mr-Dale@Jul 6th, 2004 - 10:58 am
:D :D :D I LOVE it....the waiting has paid of!

capt.par10907061523.france_fashion_par109.jpg

capt.par11007061537.france_fashion_par110.jpg
i would just like to say that no self-respecting woman would be caught dead in this atrocity... :wacko: :yuk: [/b][/quote]
:huh: Maybe it's aimed more at socialite dragqueens?

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jul 6th, 2004 - 9:27 pm
WHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHA

Must be LVMH then....

Originally posted by Acid@Jul 6th, 2004 - 7:34 pm
but surely if you were trying to attract couture clients.......you would show them what you want to sell them, rather than rather bizarre versions

this would scare away possible clients rather than attract them :blink:
You know, some (very rich...) people more or less collect haute couture; the stuff doesn't necessarily have to work at the office christmas party or even a ball...

They buy into the "art angle".

And, like has been said, you can customize the stuff if you want it to be more wearable... As a couture client, you actually have the power to choose and decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anka xx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->