Christian Dior Haute Couture F/W 2020.21 Paris

I've got similar sentiments to most members here in that I think this is MGC's best collection yet. The music in the short film is very clearly inspired by Erik Satie's Gnossienne No. 1 and very fitting (if not as enchanting as the original). For the first time, ever(?) since MGC has come on board, the clothes are (finally!) the focus rather than being a forced and unconvincing fit to one of MGC's unnecessarily long-winded inspirations that accompanies each collection.

It would have been nice if the colour palette wasn't the same old palette we've seen repeatedly - I mean, with a theme like surrealism it would have been a perfect opportunity to explore colour in unconvential ways while keeping in line with the classic Dior silhouette.

That being said, it’s weird how big gowns and the idea of « dreaming » feels very much irrelevant now. There’s a sense of emergency that I think Dior, Valli and à lot of names in Couture don’t have for me lately.

In a statement by Dior Chief Executive Pietro Beccari in an interview with BoF he said that, "We decided to push forward when everyone else was stepping back, fearing for this crisis to last too long"
and I personally liked the underlying message of hope and resilience. Very few people can afford HC and I most certaintly will never be able to afford anything something so lovely, but the eternal optimist in me still really enjoys watching from the outside. There's a video up on Dior's instagram featuring the House's petites mains discussing how incredibly technical this HC project was and it gave me a renewed appreciation of how difficult their work is. The tiny scale on which these dresses were made, but still to perfection, blew my mind.

The dresses and garments are quintessentially MGC and there are some who stood out.

Yet this is MGC's most daring collection in terms of execution and probably her second best, nearing to her SS18 couture collection. The apparition of escapism and fantasy has been lacking throughout the industry and with this found medium, i'm very surprised and now to state that MGC has somehow revitalised couture's almost-forgotten ideal.

I've been out of the fashion game for so long. Who took over after Gatten?

I usually hate her stuff and find it stale and dated but this (although dated) is actually quite nice and a lot more Dior for me than any of her previous collections.

It's just a shame that while people are losing jobs left right and centre she couldn't hire people to model the clothes??? Unemployment is already rampant and now you decide to use mannequins instead of models? Bad bad look for the brand.

I don't think it's dated. It's very signature and classic. Predictable, maybe. But that's very different from "dated".

In a statement by Dior Chief Executive Pietro Beccari in an interview with BoF he said that, "We decided to push forward when everyone else was stepping back, fearing for this crisis to last too long"
and I personally liked the underlying message of hope and resilience. Very few people can afford HC and I most certaintly will never be able to afford anything something so lovely, but the eternal optimist in me still really enjoys watching from the outside. There's a video up on Dior's instagram featuring the House's petites mains discussing how incredibly technical this HC project was and it gave me a renewed appreciation of how difficult their work is. The tiny scale on which these dresses were made, but still to perfection, blew my mind.

I see that statement as a marketing tool, nothing else. This, while being MGC’s best collection, is not a departure from the usual offering of Dior.
It’s very linear and doesn’t challenge me or offer a new perspective on her work.

The problem with MGC is that she offers the same fashion every season but only change the statement and the communication. I wish the clothes reflected the message.

For a cinematic fashion presentation probably the best attempt sofar. So glad there was some decent acting and NOT Ruth Bell.
Wish the edit was way tighter tho and the music was just plain atrocious, if you consider their budget downright insulting.
Clotheswise decent I guess, at least there's no team femme slogan.

I see that statement as a marketing tool, nothing else. This, while being MGC’s best collection, is not a departure from the usual offering of Dior.
It’s very linear and doesn’t challenge me or offer a new perspective on her work.

The problem with MGC is that she offers the same fashion every season but only change the statement and the communication. I wish the clothes reflected the message.

Well I guess you can count me as one of the fools who has fallen for this marketing gimick :lol:
Apart from the actual craftsmanship, none of which can actually be accredited to her, I agree that the collection isn't particularly breathtaking. However, I am particuarly grateful that in this collection I can see no "CHRISTIAN DIOR" plastered across the bust/shoulders/waist of the dress in a huge sans serif font. The belt is unfortunate, and I still think the melded 'CD' that is being pushed right now looks quite bad and forgettable - surely something more ornate and delicate could have been made, but instead, another clunky accessory to throw into the archives.

Well... like many of you, I have to say that this is my favorite from her!!

The designs are beautiful, and this presentation gave me a different perspective on the looks that I may not have seen otherwise. It just works much better than some of her collections I’ve seen on the runway.

Also, I thought this short film was very well done, and sort of gave me a break from reality for a bit lol.

Last edited:
It seems like a better collections since it’s so condensed as opposed to having the same looks over an over.

I do like the idea of making the collection in miniature and they showcased it beautifully in the film/trunk. I assume they only made the few 6 or so dresses in life size for the film then later just make it in real life for the custom client. I was wondering how they got those huge feathers when first seeing the pictures but it makes sense after watching the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->