Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 2003 Paris

whitewine82

Reaction score
So, while september it's not here, I was looking some old Dior's fashion shows and when I come here to see the comments I couldn't found the thread because there is no thread about it. So, as a important fashion moment that this show is, I think is important to have a place to talk about here in tFS.

I couldn't find HQ pictures from the show, just these ones below that I found on Vogue.com (and if someone have the HQs, please, share), but I found this HD video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0RVjlZFKVI

I was in doubt if I should post the pictures of the acrobats but I did anyway.
(Their clothes were made by Galliano, right?)

(Source: Vogue.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss his shows. His MM seems so dead.

When I look at Old Dior shows or Chanel shows or so many shows from brands that still exist today, it hits me that fashion was so much better. It was a part of the culture, conversation and more organic rather than a pretentious topic that creating buzz around these days.

His old Dior shows from around this era looked like one big, silly costume-party, IMO.

So if anybody has any pics that show what these clothes actually looked like OFF then runway..you know, for real couture clients, I'd love to see that instead.

Erin O'Connor's (sort of) acting in this show gives me chills every time I watch it.

that opening by stella tenant...loves it. I really wish someone can post the full Couture Fall 2002, that soundtrack is amazing.

It was one of the most amazing experience seeing these at the MET :wub:

Thank you Melancholybaby!

This is not my favorite couture collection from him, but this show is cleary example of how fashion was so much more interesting than nowadays. There was this expectation to see what Galliano would show in every couture weak...
His work at Margiela is amazing, he is doing Margiela like Margiela used to, but this is the problem, there is a lot boundaries that keep that old Galliano away from us... I'm not saying that he should pass this limits, I love Margiela just the way it is now, but it would be nice if he could show again that drama in his own house or somewhere else.

The amount of expensive silk in this collection is just out of this world. The fabrics alone for the runway samples must have cost Dior hundreds of thousands, if they are those expensive couture silks from Italy and so on.

The light drapey chiffon and silk pieces look beautiful when I look at the collection now. It's also an interesting design experiment how the fabric can totally change the voluminous patterns.

This show belonged to the time I got interested in fashion... I remember watching it online and having a magazine with HQ photos of the seasons couture collections. At the time this show and clothes was mesmerizing and somehow it still is, only now it's more about appreciating the shapes and pattern cutting, the volume and research, whereas back then it was more about the fantasy and theatricality.

If this was shown today I wonder how we all would react to it?

So if anybody has any pics that show what these clothes actually looked like OFF then runway..you know, for real couture clients, I'd love to see that instead.

Exactly... That would be interesting. I don't remember seeing any modified versions for any red carpets or celebs from this collection.

Of course Mouna bought one

Mouna Ayoub En Christian Dior at Deauville great prom to the benefit of the association 'Care France' which was celebrating its 20th anniversary woman.
August 31, 2003
gettyimages.com and there are more photos if someone interested

This was maybe my least favorite Couture collection from him.
It was and it is a bit much and it still feels a bit confused (even if it was focused).
Too much ruffles, too much silk, too much! Add to that the show in the show... BUT being talented as he was(and still is), he managed to make the whole thing work. No one could have done it.

FW Couture 2002 was so exquisite that this felt a bit meh.
Surprizingly FW2003 which was inspired by this collection was kinda great, even if it was a bit vulgar.

It's always funny to believe that Dior was the most difficult brand to wear when it was the most popular but it shows that with a great creative and a great vision, you can do wonders.

Galliano was the one who made deconstruction believable for a mainstream audience. Dior had some of the most incredible skirts and coats at the time.

It'a pity that people only remembers the very successful "J'adore Dior" t-shirts.

And for people who bought that, You should check Mouna Ayoub. She is France's most well known Couture client and she is maybe IMO the bravest of all. She may not being the most stylish but she is very committed to the designer's vision.

Thank you Whitewine92

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->