Clinic

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Just what the fashion doctor ordered

Antwerp doesn’t just deliver edgy designers, perfect diamonds and delectable chocolates, but also interesting shop concepts. Proven yet again by Clinic, a self-proclaimed ‘denimandstuffsupermarket’.
On 1100 square meters, creative office Pure Sang made an anti-design statement, using recycled materials and combining an ‘arte povera’ look with high end fashion brands and sportwear from names such as Bikkembergs, Seven for all Mankind, Nudie jeans, Adidas, Diesel, Baby Phat, Citizens of Humanity, Onitsuka Tiger, Converse and countless others.

Next to fashion, accessories and shoes you can browse lifestyle books, DVD’s, art, music and interior objects, drool over lowrider- and cruise bikes and drink and eat yourself silly in the ‘Intensive Care’ restuarant downstairs. All this while live DJ’s do their thing.

The shop is based in the trendy ‘Zuid’ (south) district of Antwerp, surrounded by art galleries, museums, bars and bistros. And what’s more, you don’t need a prescription to visit!

Clinic, De Burburestraat 5,
2000 Antwerp.
Tel. +32-3-248.69.11.

http://www.clinicantwerp.com/

Haha I'm with space. I'm not about to hop on the plane to Antwerp for Baby Phat. But I guess there's probably a market for it there, too. I'm sure not all Antwerpians wanna run around in black Margiela 24/7.

I wish something like this would come along to shake up the New York retail scene. We're supposed to have to best shopping in the world but there is still so much that you can't find here. I wish I had the money and the business acumen (not to mention the courage) to open up shop in NYC. You wouldn't have to fly to Japan for Limifeu anymore, softgrey!

me too m-o-m...i would love to open a small store in nolita...
i'd also carry hussein chalayan... :heart: :flower:
the selection here is appalling...

and hopefully some dries...what i saw today was good ...but i feel like barney's once again did not buy the pieces that really appeal to me...and i actually told the buyers as much... :P :innocent:

and roland mouret...the stuff in london is devastating... :heart:

Thanks once again,Softie!

I heard about this from that very newsletter you linked,actually. I don't know about the selection either but the concept is rather cool. Not sure how well it will do against the likes of Walter;a somewhat concept-based shop :innocent:

Metal,alot of the more stylish and fashion concious people I noticed wear mostly Belgian designers. I really don't see how the likes of Baby Phat will appeal to anybody there. Nobody dressed in that way;not even Belgian celebs on TV. Nee!

I'm sooooooooooo with you Softie and MOM!!! Now that there are three of us, let's do it! You'll need menswear, won't you :unsure: :P

And, yes, MOM, there is definitely a market for this in Antwerp. It is a rich city, because of the diamond trade and the port, and there are plenty of LV flashing bimbos running around. There is a store called SN3 that caters to them - Dior, Chanel, Dolce, etc... There are also plenty of high end stores similar to those on Madison Ave.

This store sounds very cool. Much like what I would like to have and run.
Agreed that the merchandise mix is kind of eh and not really that unusual. You guys are right...why aren't there better stores like this in NY. It seems like everything is being taken over by the designer stores and there are very few multi-brand stores that are cool. Well, at least I don't know them. Retail is in such a wierd place right now....of course I'm going to say that, I'm having a slow day and I'm grumpy....

Originally posted by faust@Nov 8 2004, 03:04 PM
I'm sooooooooooo with you Softie and MOM!!! Now that there are three of us, let's do it! You'll need menswear, won't you :unsure: :P

And, yes, MOM, there is definitely a market for this in Antwerp. It is a rich city, because of the diamond trade and the port, and there are plenty of LV flashing bimbos running around. There is a store called SN3 that caters to them - Dior, Chanel, Dolce, etc... There are also plenty of high end stores similar to those on Madison Ave.
[snapback]423440[/snapback]​

I know that place.

From what I remember,most of the people I come in contact with and saw on the streets,the majority of them dressed very street. Shopped at places like Fish 'N' Chips or some punk/Goth shop. And the yuppies wore alot of Scapa and some other easy commercial label. I really don't remember seeing LV logos except at the LV shop :lol:

Or perhaps,I was too delerious to remember? :wacko: :P

But I agree there is a alot of those high end places which cater to rich conservatives(and there are alot of those types about). One of which I remember passing almost everyday. Louis Feraud,Ferré,Chanel and Hermés are big in Antwerp.

Otherwise,I think most people wore Belgian designers. I don't see how many people there will be attracted to something like Baby Phat. Why would the sophisticated ladies want that stuff if they're rich? And the street kids? Absolutely not. Maybe some outsider visiting Antwerp would, but generally I don't think anybody will see the appeal.

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 6 2004, 10:39 PM

and roland mouret...the stuff in london is devastating... :heart:
[snapback]421002[/snapback]​

incidentally, I know its off topic, apologies. saw a gorge roland mouret dress in HNicks at the weekned which I think will be in the sale - its £500 but will be £250 in the sale. Got my eye on it. the shop assistant really annoyed me by condescending to me about how Roland Mouret is a 'really good new designer' like i wouldn't have heard of him - god i could have thumped her one. :angry: I know its a bit pathetic of me but still i hate being treated like some clueless idiot by shop assistants.

Originally posted by helena@Nov 9 2004, 12:42 PM
incidentally, I know its off topic, apologies. saw a gorge roland mouret dress in HNicks at the weekned which I think will be in the sale - its £500 but will be £250 in the sale. Got my eye on it. the shop assistant really annoyed me by condescending to me about how Roland Mouret is a 'really good new designer' like i wouldn't have heard of him - god i could have thumped her one. :angry: I know its a bit pathetic of me but still i hate being treated like some clueless idiot by shop assistants.
[snapback]424725[/snapback]​

:lol: i think you have to give her a break...most people probably are actually clueless...she had no way of knowing you are the exception to the rule... think of all the boneheads she probably has to deal with day in and day out ...and have pity... :flower: :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->