Closet Couture

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this because it doesn't warrant its own thread, and it's not exactly personal style, per say. Hope it's okay here!

So, I'm kinda pissed. But, also kinda excited. I purchased the Closet Couture $1k gift card from the Haute Look sale benefitting the New Yorkers for Children charity the other day.

Haute Look was totally unclear about the gift card, though...thus, making me a bit disappointed. Here's what the description on the site said: It's no secret that shopping is an irresistible hobby and now it has become even more irresistible than before. With Closet Couture you can connect with other style mavens like yourself, shop for the latest and greatest items, and get help from stylists. A $1000 gift card that will update your closet in an instant!

However, I emailed CC and the founder replied: The purchase you made was for styling services on Closet Couture. This includes one of our staff photographers coming to your home to shoot about 150 items of your clothes, and then we create a digital closet for you, and then one of our stylists will both pull together outfits for you from what you have, and / or make shopping recommendations for new items for up to 15 events.

So, I wonder if I'll be able to purchase items with the gift card after all the consulting or if that'll use up all the money. =/ It's pretty cool, but at the same time, from the description, it definitely made it seem like I would be purchasing clothing/accessories with all of the money. [Plus, to be honest, I feel like I'm pretty good with putting outfits together myself already.] Was I wrong to assume that?

With that said, has anyone used the styling services on CC before? Can anyone tell me a bit more about it?

Wasn't sure where to post this because it doesn't warrant its own thread, and it's not exactly personal style, per say. Hope it's okay here!

So, I'm kinda pissed. But, also kinda excited. I purchased the Closet Couture $1k gift card from the Haute Look sale benefitting the New Yorkers for Children charity the other day.

Haute Look was totally unclear about the gift card, though...thus, making me a bit disappointed. Here's what the description on the site said: It's no secret that shopping is an irresistible hobby and now it has become even more irresistible than before. With Closet Couture you can connect with other style mavens like yourself, shop for the latest and greatest items, and get help from stylists. A $1000 gift card that will update your closet in an instant!

However, I emailed CC and the founder replied: The purchase you made was for styling services on Closet Couture. This includes one of our staff photographers coming to your home to shoot about 150 items of your clothes, and then we create a digital closet for you, and then one of our stylists will both pull together outfits for you from what you have, and / or make shopping recommendations for new items for up to 15 events.

So, I wonder if I'll be able to purchase items with the gift card after all the consulting or if that'll use up all the money. =/ It's pretty cool, but at the same time, from the description, it definitely made it seem like I would be purchasing clothing/accessories with all of the money. [Plus, to be honest, I feel like I'm pretty good with putting outfits together myself already.] Was I wrong to assume that?

With that said, has anyone used the styling services on CC before? Can anyone tell me a bit more about it?

I would not be thrilled either ... I think we may have a CC thread, I'll have to look.

But my guess without looking at their site is that all they have is links to shopping sites and perhaps they get a commission, that they don't have a store, and that the gift card is purely for what they themselves sell, which is their own services. I agree that the description is really vague ...

I've had a store promise me a certain discount before, and then when I went to use it, said--oh, we meant on our own merchandise, and what you're buying was consigned. :rolleyes:

^ I guess I read a magazine artlce about Closet Couture, and we don't have a thread. Feel free to start one if you like, or I could start a thread with the discussion here so far.

^ I guess I read a magazine artlce about Closet Couture, and we don't have a thread. Feel free to start one if you like, or I could start a thread with the discussion here so far.

That'd be great if you could do that! :] I'd really like to talk with users of the site to get a better idea of what I'm getting myself into, haha.

Well, I don't know if I can help but as a member there, I thought I'd add my $.02 :wink:

If you can, I'd ask for the CC to be straight merch. and not the styling. They do link to some quality retailers so you'll be okay on that end.

As for the virtual or online closet, I uploaded some 200+ pictures, categorized by type (pants, skirts, tops, shoes) and started making outfit combinations only to have my closet go invisible after several weeks. For no reason. Apparently it's not entirely compatible with the newest internet explorer (IE8) and they asked if I'd download another system in order to be able to (hopefully) view my closet again. :blink:

I'd be even more peeved if I'd spent $1000 for this. [It takes hours to upload & assign a name to everything, etc so I imagine your credit would be spent with just this activity if they're basing it on styling fees per hr. :( ]

What did you end up doing??

Well, I don't know if I can help but as a member there, I thought I'd add my $.02 :wink:

If you can, I'd ask for the CC to be straight merch. and not the styling. They do link to some quality retailers so you'll be okay on that end.

As for the virtual or online closet, I uploaded some 200+ pictures, categorized by type (pants, skirts, tops, shoes) and started making outfit combinations only to have my closet go invisible after several weeks. For no reason. Apparently it's not entirely compatible with the newest internet explorer (IE8) and they asked if I'd download another system in order to be able to (hopefully) view my closet again. :blink:

I'd be even more peeved if I'd spent $1000 for this. [It takes hours to upload & assign a name to everything, etc so I imagine your credit would be spent with just this activity if they're basing it on styling fees per hr. :( ]

What did you end up doing??

First of all, the giftcard still has not arrived yet aka it's been almost two months. So, I started calling HauteLook several times in the past two or so weeks and they finally told me the other day that CC would end up taking care of it now. :angry:

CC doesn't have any staff photogs that are in Chicago, so Christine [the founder] has been trying to find someone. She thinks she finally has, but they aren't free until next week, and apparently only available on weekends. That won't work for me though, because for the rest of the summer, I'm booked every weekend with friends visiting and me going away for various reasons. I then have to return to school at the end of August. So, if we can't work anything out with this photog, I better be getting a refund. This has just been such an unnecessary hassle. =[

^This is so old, but can you tell me what happened in the end? Was the issue resolved? I'll be rather angry because the gift card did sound like I'll be getting merchandise and not service, which I personally think is horrible judging from what you went through.

^This is so old, but can you tell me what happened in the end? Was the issue resolved? I'll be rather angry because the gift card did sound like I'll be getting merchandise and not service, which I personally think is horrible judging from what you went through.

Aw, thank you for caring!

The issue was resolved, but I was very unhappy. Christine set me up with a photographer, whom I actually loved. She was wonderful. But, the whole styling part was basically useless. I probably still have enough money to have at least 20 more outfits styled, but it's just not worth the trouble. The stylist put together some cute things, incorporating my clothes with pieces I could purchase, but I never bought any of the items. Plus, most of the stuff the stylist chose was from Topshop, and since I don't live near one, I would've had to purchase online... and everything was sold out. And to be honest, a few of the outfits, albeit adorable, were just not my style. =/

So overall, quite disappointing and still bummed about losing out on $400 to something I thought I was going to love [which deceived me]. But, hey! Life lesson, I guess.

That makes me angry. Perhaps, like you said, life's a lesson. Hey! At least it was for some charity right?

Yes, very true. At least hopefully. =/ With charities these days, who knows how much really goes directly to care and needs of the organization.

^ True. But you had good intentions so karma's on your side. :flower:

My issue was resolved as well in that I logged back on (6mos later) just to see, and they've changed the browser or server so that now it supports my operating system (again) and I can see my closet again! Of course, I'm still very leary and have only uploaded a few new pics....:huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SailorMoon1993
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->