Cloth Face Masks

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
From Vogue.com

It looks like we’re going to be wearing cloth face masks for a while, which is all the more reason to find one that you like. The CDC has been recommending that people wear masks when going out in public for weeks. And yesterday Governor Andrew Cuomo issued an order that New Yorkers must wear masks in public places where social distancing six feet is not possible. (Cuomo specified that people would not be jailed for not wearing a mask, but fines could be issued.) Similar orders have been issued in New Jersey and Puerto Rico, but wearing a fabric mask as a civilian is now common sense, provided you can afford and access one. So for the foreseeable future, we’ll be wearing masks to the grocery store, on walks and runs, and maybe even after the crisis abates. Given the prevalence of mask selfies, it’s likely that masks will start to become fashion items, rather than merely functional.

The best face masks for civilians to wear are made of cloth. Leave the surgical masks and N95s for the healthcare professionals and essential workers. Besides, designers have been in the fabric-mask game for a long time. Billie Eilish wore a Gucci face covering (that’s, uh, probably not CDC approved) to the Grammys before the coronavirus was a pandemic in the United States. Fendi, Palm Angels, and Marine Serre have all made masks. Christian Siriano turned his business into a mask-making machine for hospitals. And many, including Collina Strada’s Hillary Taymour, have offered tutorials on how to make one at home.

But people are still looking for masks they don’t have to make themselves. Etsy’s landing page has become all about the mask, and the company disclosed that between April 4 and 6, people searched for masks on the site an average of 9 times per second, totaling more than 2 million searches. Supply on Etsy has also exploded, as the number of mask sellers on the site increased fivefold in the last week of March and the first week of April.

Masks are not a fashion accessory, but they do take up a fair amount of real estate on your face, so it’s not surprising that people are looking for aesthetically pleasing ones. With that in mind, below is a selection of the most stylish masks to buy now. Some sellers are even doing a buy-one-donate-one offering.

All products featured on Vogue are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • slide_12.jpg

1/100
    Proenza Schouler satin face mask
    $100
    PROENZA SCHOULER
    SHOP NOW

• slide_.jpg

2/100
    Cotton Citizen face mask
    $28
    REVOLVE
    SHOP NOW

slide_6.jpg
  • 3/100
    FloralBanditStudio '90s vintage floral denim face mask
    $25
    ETSY
    SHOP NOW

• slide_9.jpg

16/100
    Lucky Brand 5-pack pleated cotton face mask
    $25
    LUCKY BRAND
    SHOP NOW
  • slide_4.jpg

17/100
    Lovers + Friends protective face mask
    $14
    REVOLVE
    SHOP NOW
  • slide_5.jpg

18/100
    BalancedCasa plaid bow face mask
    $30
    ETSY
    SHOP NOW

• slide_9.jpg

19/100
    Reformation assorted mask, five-pack
    $25
    THE REFORMATION
    SHOP NOW
  • slide_13.jpg

20/100
    LoveStreetSalvage checkerboard strawberries mask
    $12
    ETSY
    SHOP NOW
  • slide.jpg

21/100
    Collina Strada fashion face mask
    $100
    COLLINA STRADA
    SHOP NOW

• slide_1.jpg

46/100
    Paige Covering Our Community mask, 4-pack
    $20
    PAIGE
    SHOP NOW
  • slide_8.jpg

47/100
    Kes sustainable washable face mask
    $17
    KES
    SHOP NOW
  • slide_15.jpg

48/100
    VPL assorted Japanese vintage cotton masks
    $23
    VPL STORE
    SHOP NOW

So naive and out of touch I didn't realise this business was booming hah

I still wear the standard blue/medical ones but as the weather is getting hot, I hate it more and more. I always hated face masks, whenever I'd see people wearing one my first thought was ew followed by 'a prisoner of your own breath....'.. and that is exactly how it feels, but yeah, even if they were not mandatory (but they are), I might remain a germaphobe after this and for a long time so I should probably get something easier to accept and who knows, maybe even make me enjoy the experience ☠️..

The VPL ones are cute, same for the Paige ones though they look like they might open on the sides. I either like them medical or more rustic, I think... the rest often look like something you created out of a diaper or old underwear (like that Proenza Schouler one) and that makes it all even more yucky for me. Also, yes, I know it's far more gross to have everything entering through your mouth and nostrils, I just irrationally don't like face masks..

Thanks for this thread, softgrey!

So naive and out of touch I didn't realise this business was booming hah

I still wear the standard blue/medical ones but as the weather is getting hot, I hate it more and more. I always hated face masks, whenever I'd see people wearing one my first thought was ew followed by 'a prisoner of your own breath....'.. and that is exactly how it feels, but yeah, even if they were not mandatory (but they are), I might remain a germaphobe after this and for a long time so I should probably get something easier to accept and who knows, maybe even make me enjoy the experience ☠️..

The VPL ones are cute, same for the Paige ones though they look like they might open on the sides. I either like them medical or more rustic, I think... the rest often look like something you created out of a diaper or old underwear (like that Proenza Schouler one) and that makes it all even more yucky for me. Also, yes, I know it's far more gross to have everything entering through your mouth and nostrils, I just irrationally don't like face masks..

Thanks for this thread, softgrey!
you're welcome MP...
:flower:

yeah- these aren't great but it does show a wide variety of options/styles...
my faves are also your faves...lol...

but my fave style is this one taken from the KF94- the Korean 3D medical masks...
not necessarily the prints (though I do like plaid)...but the shape is sooo nice...
I'd like one in plain black...

the Koreans are WAAAAY out in front on this...
their beauty bloggers are even doing tutorials on how to do make up that looks good with a mask...

:innocent:

right now I'm wearing a proper N95 because I live in the heart of darkness aka Covid Central and too many people aren't wearing any face coverings...
:ninja:

hoping I can switch to fabric for the summer months if people will just start complying with wearing a mask...

frankly...I don't mind wearing one...
and I'd much prefer a fabric one which I can boil after wearing to properly disinfect it...

^_^

Last edited:
PS-
I didn't post any that don't really follow the CV19 safety guidelines...
ie: cotton and washable...

people are doing all kinds of things with masks right now but so many of them are just stupid or unsafe...

:judge:

I'm not sure that proenza one really meets safety standards...
:ermm:...

I keep seeing people wearing silk scarves...
silk and linen are the least effective fabrics at containing corona, so....

:hardhead:

and then I see some leather or pleather masks and I'm like...
that looks like a good way to suffocate...

:rofl:...

just...no!!

I hope people will find cute ones and share them!!

:clap:

uniqlo will be selling summer masks since wearing a mask in summer itself can be another risk.
I don't know how serious the function will be though.

Mark Bumgarner is doing masks from the fabric used in their previous collections, they are non-medical but they have different layers and a pocket for a tissue (not sure what kind of tissue we are supposed to put inside).

Layers are:
1) Top layer, premium fabric.
2) Water repellent layer.
3) A breathable lining fabric.
4) Tissue pocket.​

I like the idea that they come in packs of 3 and are using leftover fabrics. However, not sure how breathable these will be, even tho the 3rd layer is the breathable lining fabric. Fabrics look kind of thick.

Here is the link to one of their IG posts

Apparently the boys in the BTS korean pop boy band started a trend for black face basks in Korean last year. Which ones do they use?

plain black face masks are more up my alley.

Health first, fashion second!
Is it safe to say clothing lines are finally marrying both health & fashion?

Clearly, it’s not going away anytime soon...at least, not here in America.

That said, I’m noticing an uptick in clothing lines now making masks. My friend got a pack from, erm, Old Navy, I think...done in simple prints and constructed well. Target started selling them as accessories as well. And a few local, independent clothing stores around here started selling them. I wouldn’t be surprised if more clothing stores/lines started rolling out their own versions. It IS a valid way to pump some $$ back into the economy, no?

But, if the Gucci’s & Prada’s of the world started making them, that, you definitely can do without. Personally, I think I’d vomit if I ever saw the double-Cs plastered across your face.

Apparently the boys in the BTS korean pop boy band started a trend for black face basks in Korean last year. Which ones do they use?

plain black face masks are more up my alley.

I checked that...
Hobi's been wearing the Murakami flower mask...
in general, whatever masks they are wearing are in Korea and Korea has banned shipping of masks outside the country for now...
I do still see stuff around though...
I guess some vendors have their personal connections...

BTS face masks vary...

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 4.49.44 PM.png

^^
it should be noted that all those BTS pics are precovid...
:ninja:

lately I see them wearing the k94 medical masks which everyone in Korea seems to be wearing...
no cloth for them!

when this first started, i get why some people thought it was trashy to cash in on something like this... because it was at first.

Now that they are going to be around for a while, it makes sense that they are becoming a part of fashion in some way, but as others have pointed out...they NEED to be effective & not just for looks.

I don't mind just cheap plain black ones, but i had trouble with finding ones to fit my face at first lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->