Clothing Factories on Ships - Manufacturing whle Shipping

Discussion in 'Fashion... In Depth' started by daniellat, Oct 22, 2010.

1. daniellat

daniellat Fashion Designer

A few days ago, I was in the middle of a discussion that revolved around clothing factories built on ships and wether this was a myth or actual fact.

I wasnt able to find real information or at least a company that would advertise this kind of service, supposedly because its out of the law.

So I was left with a lot of questions, do these kind of factories really exist? Why are they illegal? If its a brilliant idea of manufacturing your goods on board while shipping them, why isnt everybody else doing it?

2. LeBonChic

LeBonChic New Member

I think in the case of high fashion, manufacturing cannot come on board since the process needs supervision from the designers or sbd with authority who are not able to travel all the time.
    What's more, craftsmen in the atelier are pretty well-chosen for the work of making high fashion so I don't think there're enough of them to throw on each ship to each country... Sewage discharged in the making will go unprocessed or processed with high cost, the corporation is not going to pay for that
    There must exist many different reasons

My two cents :flower:

#2 LeBonChic, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited by moderator catercousin: Oct 22, 2010
  3. sethii

sethii New Member

It would cost a lot more than manufacturing on land. Illegal manufacturers always try to get the costs down not up. They can go to Vietnam etc, or hire illegal workers for their factories in Italy or wherever.

It's a funny idea manufacturing on the ship lol. But surely the kind of ship you would need to do that is a totally different ship than the one which transports cargo (in those big cargo containers...which need to go to specific ports). Basically I guess it comes down to the increase of efficiency you can get from division of labour. Combining shipping and manufacturing in one location would likely be inefficient and more expensive.