Collection of the Decade - Your Favourite Over the Last 10 Years

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Master Wood, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Master Wood

Master Wood New Member

For me it's without doubt Christian Dior Ready-to-Wear Fall/Winter 2004

2. duprex

duprex New Member

I loved FW07 Balenciaga.

3. BerlinRocks

BerlinRocks New Member

I think CollectionS of the Decade (without love/hate) would be better ...

Collections that burnt/embodied the decade for various reasons ....

that would be more interesting.

4. Master Wood

Master Wood New Member

Christian Dior Ready-to-Wear Fall/Winter 2004
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Style.com

5. mackos

mackos Alluring

Agree, it's pretty hard to choose only one. Five would be better, I guess.

6. Master Wood

Master Wood New Member

Its just a bit of fun and needn't be dogged with artistic and cultural politics, everyone has that one special collection that made them change the way they viewed the world!

7. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

EASILY

Gucci FW 03 RTW - This was, for me, the show of the decade. It was definitely the definition of a modern fashion show. It was commercial, yet very luxurious and unique. The music, the lighting, the casting, the hair, the makeup ... everything was so well thought-out and connected. It was the strongest show and collection of Tom Ford's collection. I say that without to bite my tongue.

Dior SS HC 2004 - Again, it was luxurious, inspiring, excessive, well-crafted creative, imaginative - that's what haute couture is for me. The everything from the posing in the corset constructed to give what Galliano called the 'Sphinx Line' to the music. So perfect.

And I also must say that the Dior shows of the early part of this decade defined this decade for me. All of the shows from SS HC 2006 and back were the most amazing spectacles I have ever seen and like someone once mentioned that maybe it was of the time and it won't come back anytime soon. Very, very lucky to experience it at its peak!!

8. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

I have a feeling everyone is just going to name drop everything Galliano and Dior in this thread, for the simple reasons ofcourse.... But here's my list:

Yohji Yamamoto S/S 2000: I think Yohji to me is the master of deconstruction, asymmetrical silhouettes, simplistic styling with a hint of Japanese flair. Although people might not be too fond of his work compared to let's say Galliano or McQueen, he is to me the anti-glitz of the fashion world. I love the fact that he refuses to send out girls with high heels on in every show because it doesn't suit his aesthetics.

Gucci S/S 2003: Tom Ford embodied sexiness with every single collection and wasn't afraid to send out girls only half dressed with breasts fully exposed. He managed a look that began a whole generation of provocative dress wear in the industry, but sadly the end of his career in Gucci also meant a tamer way of dressing for the general public.

Alexander McQueen S/S 2001: Pretty explanatory if you watch the show. The collection through and through was the epitome of a well thought out collection from beginning to end. It was unapologetic and daring.

Dior Couture S/S 2003: Out of all John Galliano's exuberance with themed shows, this collection to me was the most complete, from the models posing, the music, and the martial artist.

Junya Watanabe F/W 2008: I think this was one of the only collections at the second half of the decade that made me realize that there was still a few designers who are still putting a bit of artistic integrity and emotional thinking into their collections. I've watched the show more times than any other and I am still amazed at how uncompromising Junya's work was; mixing contemporary Japanese street style to the workmanship of past designers like Gres.

9. Master Wood

Master Wood New Member

^^ Do you have any pictures I don't remember this collection! Totally second you on the Haute Couture, that was definitely a close second for me, that outfit Erin strutted out, that silhouette blow my mind!

10. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

11. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

Oh God, I know!!! I remember when I first saw the pictures and then when I saw the show. I was so stunned! :shock:

And yep, here are the pictures of the most amazing Gucci show ever:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Style.com

Absolutely flawless. :heart:

12. Casualuxury

Casualuxury New Member

Balenciaga F/W 07/08 opened my eyes to a lot of new and interesting things. I also think this is the most influential collection of the decade when it comes to trends.

McQueen SS 03 is what got me into fashion however. I remember watching it on VH1's Vogue Fashion awards and knowing I wanted to create art that gave me the feeling his collection did.

Oh and my bad for not representing Comme Des Garcons F/W 07/08. I remember making the purple pants with the gloves on them in my studio class out of purple swimwear lycra after seeing them on a guy on a Japanese fashion blog.

#12 Casualuxury, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited by moderator stylista7: Dec 15, 2009
  13. duprex

duprex New Member

Dior SS HC 2004 was just stunning!

14. Volume_3

Volume_3 New Member

For me its Gucci A/W 2008.
    The collection that got me into fashion.

15. helmut.newton

helmut.newton New Member

There were lots of great collections this decade, but only a handful truly deserve a mention. The collections that were phenomenal, for me at least, were the ones that were filled with emotion. Sure, Karl Lagerfeld and Alber Elbaz put out some stellar collections; but did they convey emotion? Did they make people cry? Did they go beyond the limits of fashion?

For me, these are the shows that truly went into the fourth dimension:

1. Alexander McQueen Spring Summer 2004 - GENIUS. Show of the decade. The clothes, the performance; it was beyond style, beyond fashion and truly a show.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Givenchy Haute Couture Spring 2007

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Viktor & Rolf Spring 2005
    [​IMG]

4. Christian Dior Haute Couture Spring 2004

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Nina Ricci Fall 2007

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    style.com/ + yahoonews.com/

16. mackos

mackos Alluring

Oh my, it's so hard to choose when there are sooo many favourites :blush: Here are few of them:

Christian Dior Spring 2004 & Spring 2007 Haute Couture
    Gucci Fall 2003 (!)
    Alexander McQueen Fall 2006
    Marc Jacobs Fall 2006
    Balenciaga Spring 2007
    Miu Miu Fall 2007

Plus early 2000's Dior collections and everything by Alber Elbaz pour Lanvin :wub:

17. helmut.newton

helmut.newton New Member

6. Christian Dior Haute Couture Fall 2003

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Alexander McQueen Spring 2001

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Viktor & Rolf Spring 2007

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Givenchy Haute Couture Spring 2006

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Nina Ricci Fall 2009

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    style + givenchy.com/

18. BerlinRocks

BerlinRocks New Member

according to Olivier Saillard, here are the unforgettable shows of the 2000s :
    (i've done choice, since he gave the most "historical" show for every season ...)

Summer 2000 Dior Couture
    Winter 2001 Hussein Chalayan + Junya Watanabe
    Winter 2002 Balenciaga + Jeremy Scott
    Summer 2002 YSL RETROSPECTIVE show
    Winter 2003 Lacroix Couture + Cosmic Wonder
    Summer 2003 Helmut Lang + Lanvin + Junya Watanabe + Yamamoto
    Summer 2004 A. McQueen
    Summer 2005 Dries VN
    Winter 2006 CDG
    (........)
    Summer 2008 Margiela

19. BerlinRocks

BerlinRocks New Member

^collections above are from "Histoire idéale de la mode contemporaine. Les plus beaux défilés de 1971 à nos jours", by Olivier Saillard.
    (trad : Ideal History of Contemporary Fashion. The most beautiful shows from 1971 to nowadays - opens with YSL 1971, closes on Margiela Summer 2008 ; including a lot of japanese and "parisian" designers !)