Combining brown and black

i would say there are a thousand kinds of brown out there :wink:
you never know which one will work

i have a perma-'tan' too
i use a light tone
or two or more kinds of brown in one look

I need to see pictures of some black-brown conquests. I want to see shades, materials, and textures!

Traditionally I've done it, but I've been shying away from it. I just don't have the natural flair to carry it. I feel like it looks just like an accident on me, you know a got-dressed-in-the-dark episode.

i have to agree that it really depends on your skin tone!! weird as it is
for example i feel like i can really pull it off becasuse i have dark olive toned skin, the other day i wore black plants and brown pointed flats and got loads of compliments.

its also funny, ive known alot of people who are AGAINSt combining black/brown and avoid it like the plague...ive never understood why..haha

I love dark brown and black together; I particularly like to match black jeans with either dark brown boots, or a dark brown t-shirt or jersey.

I have had people get really dictatorial about not mixing brown and black and maybe it's because it doesn't work with their skin tone. :lol:

i usually don't combine brown & black clothes
i have a pair of dark brown leather gloves & a dark brown leather bag which i combine with a black coat & black pants & dark brown or black shoes

I don't see anything wrong with it, I do it all the time. I mix navy and black a lot too which is another supposed no-no. I'm such a rebel :lol:

I don't see anything wrong with it, I do it all the time. I mix navy and black a lot too which is another supposed no-no. I'm such a rebel :lol:

Is it really? Is that just a cultural thing maybe, because I've never heard the taboo over it and it's so common and on the runways season after season without controversy. I've got so many images in my head.

^ It is a challenge; it's not guaranteed to work. But it certainly can ...

I'm not sure it has so much to do with skintone, but I suppose I could be convinced :wink:

i instantly thought of Marni ^...

00040m.jpg

There are a couple more looks with brown,black, grey and navy in one
http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/S2006RTW-MARNI

I had a closeup of this one some time ago and it has grey blue in the light parts
the stripes going down the front
00680m.jpg

all imgs style.com

That second one is the first look I think of when I hear "Marni." I always find myself coming back to it and referencing it and loving it.

Is it really? Is that just a cultural thing maybe, because I've never heard the taboo over it and it's so common and on the runways season after season without controversy. I've got so many images in my head.

I don't really know, I've just heard a lot about it being a fashion faux pas & stuff. I don't see anything wrong with it all. & you're right, it's on the runways all the time. I think it's very Chanel & I love it.

That second one is the first look I think of when I hear "Marni." I always find myself coming back to it and referencing it and loving it.
you're talking about the design, no? the use of materials

or their taste in colours

^ Oh, I mean the look itself from Marni, but true the colors too.

Like some members said before, I see many people pulling it off perfectly, but I just don't try it. I once left the house with black flats and a brown bag (accidentally) and when I came back home I almost had a heart attack when I noticed what I had just done (I thought to myself 'What a complete fashion faux pas, you idiot'). I love it when other people pull it off and I admire them for it, but I don't think I could ever do it without feeling too self-conscious.

Here's an example of an outfit that works IMO - maybe because she's wearing a black jacket and the shoes go really well with her jeans:

20091204sartorialistame.jpg

The Sartorialist

Other examples of people pulling it off perfectly:

20091118sartorialisttwo.jpg

(I particularly love the pale blue+black+brown combo on the right.)

20091110sartorialistbel.jpg

20091104sartorialisttwo.jpg

Source: The Sartorialist

I love black and brown, I think it looks incredible!! I remember hearing when I was younger that black and brown was a no-no but I did it anyways :lol:

i combine brown-black-grey-navy all together and i love it:smile:

:heart:

Me too. I often use these colour for winter. e.g. a navy coat, black knit scarf, brown leather gloves, and grey tights.. etc. etc.

I don't like it when everything becomes to matchy matchy, at least not on myself.. Especially when it comes to bags and shoes, I practically never wear anything in similar colours. And I think here it is a good idea to mix brown and black since it's both two neutral colours so it keeps the outfit quiet.

Also I really think a little bit of brown looks so good with a lot of black... For instance a pair of brown shoes, gloves, belt and so forth and so on. :flower:

Nemova, I love the first pic you posted. And the combination of the pale blue, black and brown in one of the other pics as you mentioned as well. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->