Condé Nast says NO to Vogue Africa

Urban Stylin

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ
Reaction score
shestyles.wordpress.com
wpid-vogue-africa-mario-epanya2.jpg

Independent.co.uk

African photographer Mario Epanya's proposition of an African edition of Vogue has been rejected by publishing house, Condé Nast.
Epanya, who created fictitional covers and editorials for his campaign, posted on his Facebook page: "DEAR ALL. The Wait is over. Condé Nast said NO to an African license of VOGUE. So this is the last cover. Enjoy, but it's a beginning of something."
African-American lifestyle site Madame Noire writes: "Obviously, Vogue can still get away with a few editorials featuring Africans and African Americans sprinkled here and there. Although their "Black Issue" flew off the magazine racks in 2008, are you really surprised that Conde Nast rejected the idea?"
Some of those commenting on the story have called on Africans to boycott the other 18 international Vogue editions and opt for local magazines, such as Arise, instead.

I agree to saying no to Vogue Africa as there are so many different cultures that need to be represented. It'd be like having Vogue Europe. But I think in the future they should think about adding an African nation to the other vogues in the future.

Before we get our arms all up over perceived racism by Conde Nast, how big is the projected market for Vogue Africa?

Conde nast is a private business. They have no obligation to do anything anywhere. If they thought they could have made good money with this project with the necessary standard, then I'm sure they would have gone for it. They probably have very good market analysis' of Africa.

I think people are being too simplistic about the actual logistics of a magazine such as Vogue Africa existing. Covering a whole continent with many different cultures and language groups. Of course, there's Vogue Latio America & Mexico which cover quite a large geographic region, but then they do share a language and a shared history (of course not for the last 200+ years, but much of the structures of society were laid by Spain) that bring them together in a way Africa isn't.

Conde nast is a private business. They have no obligation to do anything anywhere. If they thought they could have made good money with this project with the necessary standard, then I'm sure they would have gone for it. They probably have very good market analysis' of Africa.

Exactly. Plus with those covers pitched, I'm not surprised.

The market is actually quite big, South Africa for one has its own editions of Elle, Cosmo, Glamour, Bazaar, GQ, FHM etc so a Vogue SA would be automatic. A South African edition of vogue with content from the entire continent would sell in West, East and the Southern parts of Africa. The Northern part of Africa might not be a very favorable market for it though since they are more inclined to the Arabic and Francophone countries. Most companies underestimate the market in Africa, just look at how the telecom industry has exploded in a very short period.

Exactly. Plus with those covers pitched, I'm not surprised.
those were designed by a photographer who obviously used his work. If there was to be a Vogue Africa they would definitely need to hire the right team.

I think people are being too simplistic about the actual logistics of a magazine such as Vogue Africa existing. Covering a whole continent with many different cultures and language groups. Of course, there's Vogue Latio America & Mexico which cover quite a large geographic region, but then they do share a language and a shared history (of course not for the last 200+ years, but much of the structures of society were laid by Spain) that bring them together in a way Africa isn't.

For it to work, Vogue Africa would target the West, East and Southern parts of the continent where English is the most commonly spoken language. Our way of life is also quite similar especially in regard to the urban Africans who are the main target of a magazine like Vogue.

An African edition of Vogue would be incredible. But covering a whole continent would be difficult.

My only problem with a Vogue SA is that it would be full of reprints from the UK, USA and Japan.

My only problem with a Vogue SA is that it would be full of reprints from the UK, USA and Japan.

Like Vogue Mexico/Latin america? Which is a a regurgutation of every possible ed and cover from Conde Nast??? :s

Oh and it wudnt hurt to do an Africa issue ... just to test ... go big and give away money ... if it doesnt sell INSIDE Africa ... it wud DEF ell outside ... I honestly believe there's many people like me who find it exciting and interesting ... Id SO buy it!

There might be many who are interested and excited about the concept, but is that many enough to sustain the livelihood of such a Vogue edition?

For a magazine such as Vogue Africa to generate cash, you can't just rely on a niche group, but it needs to go mainstream.

Again, I would like to see Conde Nast's financial analysis of the project and some definitive numbers and market projections.

At the end of the day, Conde Nast is a business. If they thought Vogue Africa would make money, they would've gone for it.

those were designed by a photographer who obviously used his work. If there was to be a Vogue Africa they would definitely need to hire the right team.

I guess the right team could pull it off. But surely the photographer was being serious about the pitch, and the covers don't look serious enough.
For starters I can read French text on the last one. There just looks like there hasn't been that.. pushing effort.

this doesn't surprise me, but I think the presentation of an idea should have been better. It shouldn't have been just some random photographer trying to get an entire publication started. It should have been at least an editor or journalist (someone with experience in the field of publications) to put together at decent issue.

I don't think Vogue Africa was a good idea, but I wouldn't have minded seeing what a Vogue South Africa could have done. Especially considering that they (South Africa) do have most of the other major publications like Elle, Bazaar, Glamour, etc.

The mock covers he did are awesome. Vogue Africa would be intriguing, but so many international Vogue's end up reusing material from the American edition, which is kind of annoying. More time should be spent focusing on originality.

Anyway, I'm also curious if Vogue Africa were a reality, how big would the market be--I have no doubt it would sell well internationally. But I wonder how it would do within Africa.

The market is actually quite big, South Africa for one has its own editions of Elle, Cosmo, Glamour, Bazaar, GQ, FHM etc so a Vogue SA would be automatic. A South African edition of vogue with content from the entire continent would sell in West, East and the Southern parts of Africa.
There used to be a Vogue SA at one point (the 60s and/or 70s I believe).

Like Vogue Mexico/Latin america? Which is a a regurgutation of every possible ed and cover from Conde Nast??? :s

Oh and it wudnt hurt to do an Africa issue ... just to test ... go big and give away money ... if it doesnt sell INSIDE Africa ... it wud DEF ell outside ... I honestly believe there's many people like me who find it exciting and interesting ... Id SO buy it!

I think a Vogue South Africa would mainly sell in South Africa unless it had other content to encompass the rest of the continent. They do have quite a huge market and I bet the rest of the sales would spill into the rest of the continent. The other magazines like Glamour, Elle etc sell quite well in South Africa and are also distributed in other countries. I also like the fact that most of their eds and sometimes covers are original for magazines like Glamour and the like. They also largely feature local designers and models. Am not sure if Vogue would take the same route though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3db3l
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"