Condé Nast to Launch Vogue Hong Kong in Early 2019

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by MDNA, Oct 29, 2018.

1. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

WWD

2. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

Where is Vogue Africa?

3. Blayne266

Blayne266 Active Member

I agree on creating a Vogue that represents a country in Africa, maybe South Africa, Nigeria or Egypt etc so It’s more specific instead of a magazine for a whole continent.

4. TZ001

TZ001 Active Member

Totally unnecessary.

ivano, aracic and Benn98 like this.
  5. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

I will order 100 copies then will resell them after 5-6 years lol

6. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

Definitely a Vogue Nigeria and a Vogue SA. I really don't understand their strategy at all and I don't want to know as Vogue is a sinking ship and is irrelevant.

Bahiyya, Blayne266 and Benn98 like this.
  7. KateTheGreatest

KateTheGreatest Well-Known Member

Why do they want to launch another Vogue edition instead of making the ones we already have better?
    We need better content not more versions.

Nomar, sixtdaily, Lola701 and 6 others like this.
  8. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

While the launch of Vogue HK will definitely dent Vogue China's readership for starters, I don't think they'll struggle to keep afloat. There's more than enough advertising to be carved up between China, Taiwan and now HK. If it depended on me, I'd have gone for Singapore first because it's a modern, progressive and diverse market in Asia. Perhaps the best, second only after Japan. And their existing magazines reflect that. Even with lesser magazines the teams in Singapore often deliver content which surpass not only Asian magazines, but also Western ones.

It's interesting that Vogue is now launching in countries where they know for a fact that they won't be getting crazy circulation figures. Poland, Czechoslovakia, Greece, now HK. I doubt any of these editions will surpass the 70K sales mark.

I've asked this very question to someone in the know and the response was that those two are developing countries and it would be considered risky for Vogue to launch there. They're looking to see whether more luxury brands will first establish a foothold in Africa first before launching. Though the response is in fact true, I found it somewhat at odds with Vogue Poland and Czechoslovakia in the sense that they are not exactly tailored to specifically sell uber-luxury goods to a small set either. It seems these magazines are more of a creative platform for locals than anything else. To assume that they do in fact cater to native luxury consumers will have to mean that all those luxury readers share the same sensibility, which is a lie. That's the reason why British and even American Vogue shuffles between youth/mature covers and imagery, because the audience just isn't set in stone.

But back to my initial argument before I get distracted, if part of the basis for starting a Vogue is funneling native creative discussion into a global scope, then surely it ought to be interesting to see what those countries can offer?

PierreGotha and Lola701 like this.
  9. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

This sounds like Money-Grabbing decision but i don't see them being able to deliver a real interesting Vogue. Yes, HK like Singapore has a lot of high fashion customers that are spending like crazy but if the magazine is going to be a sugar free Vogue China or Vogue Korea...What's the point.

While the local fashion & entertainment industry in Nigeria is very much advanced compared to a lot of african countries (you have local brands doing amazing things and even selling abroad and all), the presence of big brands is pretty limited to small exclusive multi-brands boutiques.
    What Vogue would be for them?People buy VP, Vogue Uk and US Vogue anyway...

I think it would be more clever to maybe have a magazine like Allure or something or maybe create a specific brand of Vogue for Nigeria with a African market in mind. Maybe a Vogue beauty because the beauty industry in Africa is HUGE and the opportunities are endless. From Lagos to Accra and from Abidjan to Douala, women are craving beauty products and brands are still taking baby steps. Maybe the presence of CN or Hearst could help brands to really invest.

10. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

I understand both of your pov but I think it can be doable. For example, Nigeria has a huge community of fashion/beauty lovers with money who just need to have a magazine that will speak to them and will represent them. Because representation matters a lot and we all know that.

Even if there is not a physical presence of luxury brands, those people travel and there is e-commerce as well to sustain their desire of luxury goods. It is really crazy that Africa is completely ignored when we know people from there are heavy buyers in RTW, beauty and jewellery.

If Miu Miu did an advertorial with Nigeria Nollywood actresses then it shows that brands are ready to target Africa.

If we as European are really not satisfied by VP, UK Vogue and US Vogue. I don't know why they will. Plus I believe that having a proper Vogue in an African country will help to nurture and develop black talents instead of waiting from Anna to have the decency to feature black talents.

But anyway, let's see what HK Vogue has to offer.

11. phungnam96

phungnam96 Active Member

I'm really frightened to see how this edition will go... For sure Hong Kong has achieved its own creative stuff from the movie industry and photography. But people in Hong Kong now only care about the commercial tasteless things, the scene is way too superficial. And I always have a serious question what all the TVB stars are wearing on the carpet.

Benn98 likes this.
  12. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Vogue is the new Elle. Jokes aside, with magazines dying out every now and then in every corner of the world, it would be almost ungrateful (at least for us, magazine enthusiasts) not to welcome a new title.

aracic, mikel and russianelf like this.
  13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Thank you! :rofl: It probably won't go the way of Vogue Taiwan, but you can be rest assured that it will be tacky and cheap in direction. @Lola701 is right, this is a money grab to tailor advertising to locals and drum up more commerce - end of. Don't expect a 'Hong Kong point of view' when it will come to fashion. I wonder what Angelica makes of this development.

@GivenchyAddict It's definitely doable, only CN doesn't see it that way. They don't want to nurture. I used to think it's tasteless for Vogue to exist in a country where poverty is still a blinding reality. Kind of like Vogue India, who once put a Fendi bib on an impoverished orphan. But the recent spate of Nigerian-influenced fashion edits (not for me, but I can appreciate them) and the creativity which I've witnessed myself in South Africa certainly makes an excellent case for editions to be launched there.

Blayne266, GivenchyAddict and Lola701 like this.
  14. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

This is even worse then bringing back Vogue Greece! First of all, HK fashion magazines doing amazing is a myth! None of them sell well, all this talk how Hong Kong is an amazing luxury market, when results show that now, more than ever, the spending power has diminished, and reaching new time lows for brands, they sell a Vogue license?!!

Who is Jonathan kidding!!! This move further emphasizes in just what an epic of a disaster state CN is at the moment, and no matter how much PR smoke they try and push, it's pretty clear.

Angelica has nothing to worry about, her Vogue may be super boring now, but it still sells, and THAT matters!

Bertrando3 and Benn98 like this.
  15. magsaddict

magsaddict Active Member

I think anyone who's visited HK would know how much of a hub for luxury and fashion it still is in the region. The key idea is here not about trying to build a massive circulation, that would be setting them up for failure. It's about catering to a small, boutique audience who have extremely high incomes, HK society being one of the most affluent in the world. It's all well and good to have a big circulation, but if the readers can neither afford the wares nor are aspirational, what's the point?

Also, that article says Elle was launched in 2012... HK has had Elle since at least the 90s. They also have Marie Claire and their local titles like Prestige, and used to have an edition of L'officiel.

16. mepps

mepps Active Member

There's ZERO need for a Vogue HK.
    The last I checked, HK was a part of China, and Vogue China already exists.
    This is ridiculous and desperate. The equivalent of American Vogue vs Vogue L.A.

Please keep Vogue far away from Africa.
    Africans deserve better, and can do better.

17. szonline

szonline Active Member

Passed :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Pinterest

18. Mathewthew

Mathewthew Member

Haha, Im sure you will upset a lots of Hong Konger when you said that under the political status now in Hong Kong.
    But I agree with you that there's no need for a Vogue HK , because we already have so much similar fashion magazine in Hong Kong.
    Besides, there's so many vogue out there and who cares about a HK version ?
    And creatively speaking, I don't think they will have too many budget or have some risky ideas for their editorials.
    I hope that they will have some new perspective and approach about the magazine.

19. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

That's precisely my point. I seriously doubt they'll have a unique creative vocabulary or direction like China, Japan or even Thailand. And the budget won't be big either. If you ask me it will most likely be filled with reprints. Even Vogue Japan relies heavily on reprints and they're a defined edition.

Mathewthew likes this.
  20. magsaddict

magsaddict Active Member

i can't see why they won't produce their own content if the existing magazines seem to. after all, there are thousands of fashion models shuttling in and out of HK and the region, and plenty of clothes being sent their way to photograph, and plenty of big names seem to do exclusives for HK magazines, Victoria Beckham springs to mind.

i'm glad someone brought up the Singapore experiment... which was short lived and failed for several reasons, and preceded the other asian Vogues by several years. One of the fascinating aspects of it was how it did, through budget constraints and small circulation, manage to forge out a distinct asian identity, which was so fresh then. Could HK do the same?