Consumer Apparel Fashions: Trend Or Trick

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by FlyGuy, Nov 13, 2003.

1. FlyGuy

FlyGuy New Member

Consumer Apparel Fashions: Trend or Trick

So tell me what you think are be buying the lastest trends or are designers tricking use to spend our money?

2. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

i think people buy what they like, regardless whats on the catwalks, big labels seem not to be that crucial anymore.

Interesting topic Fly guy, welcome to FS :flower:

3. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I agree, for the most part. I think, however, that big namels are more crucial now than ever, but that's not stopping people from buying what they like, still. Perhaps people just own more clothing now. :rolleyes: :flower:

4. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

I think peopel will buy whats mass marketed, most people are to brainless to care.

individuals by what they like.

5. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

ElleG, in europe, lux labels are certainly much less important than they used to be, people buy less obvious names, its the new 'thing to do'

6. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

ditto...

but i know sooooo many people who still just are influenced by media, celebrities and popstars...
    they walk into a shop and know what they want or they order over the phone entire looks they saw on a celebrity (in CHLOE for instance). i guess those people will always be.
    i think thats ok as long as it suits them. most of the time it just looks odd though :blink:
    but, "NO LABELS" are def the thing right now.

DISCRETION IS IN

7. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

True. :flower: The time in the 80's when labels were the ultimate status symbol.. that's so over. ;)

8. pathological_shopper

True. :flower: The time in the 80's when labels were the ultimate status symbol.. that's so over. ;) [/b][/quote]
    :unsure: I'm not so sure about that. .... If that were true.. why then is there a market for "immitations"?? hmmm.

9. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

:unsure: I'm not so sure about that. .... If that were true.. why then is there a market for "immitations"?? hmmm. [/b][/quote]
    i think what they meant was that its not as "cool" as it used to be to wear big names.
    it is true that in terms of the market it is still big and people probably buy more and more lables.
    but when i think of labels, i think of quality ONLY (or personal taste) not so other people can identify the item or because SJP is wearing it.
    i.e. i would buy a LABEL cashmere plain jumper for example, just because i know i could wear it for a while ;)
    basically spend on what you like. tahts the best policy IMO. as for imitations, they will always exist for those WHO really ARE influenced and dont wanna spend that much on the "real" item :cry:

10. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

mass market copies are actually more popular than the original items, it's the new attitude, to mix copies with originals, something that was unheard of some years ago. ;)

it brings some kind of irony, a 'best from both worlds' attitude.

what i see is exactly because of mass market copies, people invest in 'unpopular' hemce less prone to be copied articles/labels. why should i buy a Prada if I can get a copy for close to 'free' at Zara? makes sense no?

Lux brands massive popularity backfired lux companies.
    the current craze is to 'discover' new hyped brands and to wear unique items. :flower: