Coronation Street Chic

stylegurrl

Reaction score
Coronation Street Chic

By Oliver Stallwood, Metro
17 August 2004
You can almost hear Milan's fashion house supremos spluttering into their cappuccinos.

New York's elite fashion scene is set to turn its back on the likes of Gucci and instead look to an unlikely set of icons - Hilda Ogden, Nora Batty and Margaret Thatcher. 

Fashion conscious women are expected to be seen in the straightlaced tweed and hair rollers 'granny chic' style of Sixties Britain.

Although also drawing inspiration from the Tory middle-England style of Lady Thatcher, Miss Marple and the Queen, much of the look will be derived from early episodes of TV's longest-running soap, Coronation Street,.

That is despite the programme being almost unknown across the Atlantic.

Celebrated fashion stylist Katie Grand says in the next issue of New York Magazine: 'There's something very interesting about working class Britain in the early Sixties.'

Explaining why Weatherfield styles could blitz Italian high-fashion, Ms Grand writes: 'Coronation Street was black-and-white and so grimy. They just looked so cool. Hilda Ogden has her hair in curlers but is also in a fabulous tweed jacket and a really nice blouse.

'It's quite prim but just as sexy as the younger characters of the time, your Bet Lynchs, for example,' added Ms Grand.

An insider from Corrie producer Granada said: 'Coronation Street has always led the way in the fashion stakes and the clothes which are becoming fashionable in New York are timeless classics.'

The Big Apple already has a shop for the grandmother style, Granny-Made, selling knitware.

However, while Madonna and Guy Ritchie may have been seen sporting flat caps yesterday, it seems not everyone is ready to follow suit.

Josephine Colling, editor of Drapers, the fashion business weekly, said: 'I think anything called granny chic is going to be hard to sell.

'I'm certainly not going to be wearing rollers next season and I can't imagine many others doing so either.'

This is London -Photos

Again ahead of the trend as regards flat caps. I love gender-bending hats. Proper hats, not trucker-caps.

The rest of it...well, I did used to buy 1970s ladies' suit jackets at Oxfam, and I do have a couple of bias-cut tweed maxiskirts from said era, so I guess I have been doing this look intermittently for some while. Prim and Proper doesn't really jive with my persona, so I wear my puffed-sleeved jackets and crepe blouses with a walloping dose of irony.

This is not an everyday look for me, but sometimes it is fun to wear something utterly unfeasable.

pinkhaltervelvetplaid.JPG
schoolteacher.JPG

The skirt and underblouse I made from vintage patterns.

brownclothcapchic.JPG

My flat cap. I made it! :P

Love that jacket, AYLI! And your cap is too cute. You made it?

I'm not sure how I feel about this trend. I'm not particularly into it, although I like AYLI's take.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be heartily sick of those hats soon, though.

I think it's the biggest load of bollox I've heard all day (so far) Who wants to dress like their grandmother all the time? :sick:

AYLI, I love the outfit you have pictured. :heart: Sometimes I like to break out one of my kilts and wear it with tall boots and a cashmere sweater.

An insider from Corrie producer Granada said: 'Coronation Street has always led the way in the fashion stakes and the clothes which are becoming fashionable in New York are timeless classics.'

Has NOBODY detected the IRONY , redolent in this statement ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I mean , come on !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

KIT :wink:

The pictures on the newspaper site only seem to have one thing in common - those tweedy caps. I didn't see anyone wearing theirehair in tight curls and hope that continues.

nonense...completely and utterly...

those hats became popular LAST fall when prada did them...and even before...if anything...they're pretty much OVER...

but katie grand is also the one the recommended that we all go POLE-DANCING on the cover of the first issue of POP...so you have to figure she's a bit ridiculous...even if she is a great stylist...

anyway...doesn't she live in london...why is she predicting what's going on in NY???...

Thanks, folks! That jacket was the most expensive thing I ever bought at Oxfam. 12 quid.

The leather jacked in the other picture is a hand-me-down. It had belonged to my great grandma in the 1960s! The scarf I found on the pavement when we were walking back into city centre coming back from a New Year's Party (y2K no less!) when we were still living in York.

I believe the flat cap may have been a reaction to my time as a temporary Yorkshire woman.

They're dead easy to make, I can tell you that. I like it for the same reason as I like wearing tweed trilbies...gender-bendy fun. Plus I just love hats, full stop.

this is horrible, this has to go away and never ever return eewwww

Originally posted by As You Like It@Aug 18 2004, 03:13 PM
brownclothcapchic.JPG

My flat cap. I made it! :P
[snapback]337368[/snapback]​

I just wanted to say that this is easily one of my fave looks I've seen you in so far! Love it!

And if I dressed like my grannie every day (in response to someone's comment,) i would be quite the little sharpie.

Enrichi--thank you!

Here is something else with Oxfam Chic. Actually this jacket is a hand-me-down from one of my aunties and the skirt I made. The top is a tank-top I bought at Target when I was still in high-school--probably about 10 years old.

brownsuitfront.JPG
brownsuitback.JPG

I love how the pleats in the bottom front of the jacket match up with the pleats in the skirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->