Cosmetics with Unsafe and Banned Ingredients

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by michyed, Sep 27, 2009.

1. michyed

michyed THE STRANGER

This was an absolutely shocking read. There's actually a lot of Neutrogena on the list. Even Chanel *faints*

Link: http://www.ewg.org/unsafecosmetics

(Jump to the various tables for the list of products)

#1 michyed, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited by moderator chloechloe19: Sep 27, 2009
  2. The_Ida

The_Ida In Bloom

I see beeswax on the list. Wonder why.

Oh, and all my mascaras :shock:

3. CrazyC

CrazyC New Member

Holy Crap
    My toothpaste
    nair
    my pefume Marilyn Miglin Pheromone
    My Mascara
    Nail polish
    MY 3 years old desitin
    My son's oragel
    my sons sunblock
    Mac
    my merderma
    Husbands POLO

4. Blodeuwedd

Blodeuwedd New Member

The article is from 2007 so I'm wondering if these companies have updated their products? I would love to see a statement from the companies mentioned to see that they are doing this.

Dr. Scholls is prohibited from cosmetics, and all of OPI is bad. And who hasn't used Hydrogen Peroxide?

5. michyed

michyed THE STRANGER

^You make a good point! Hopefully they've been updated. I know some of the products like the Avon Deep Pore Cleansers have been "discontinued" in a lot of countries.

I think nail polish in general just isn't good for you, but I'd be more worried about something that I slap on my face than on my nails...

6. michyed

michyed THE STRANGER

7. ElleLesley

ElleLesley New Member

Uhr. I get an awful twist in my stomach hearing what exactly they put in makeup directed to woman. Mercury in mascara, the loosely use of words for "hypoallergenic" and "sensitive skin" - ethics seems to be a lost cause.

And if anyone were curious, B*tch magazine written an online article of quote, "This lack of oversight allows the cosmetics industry to create its own definitions of safety." Sums it up perfectly I think.

8. ediewho

ediewho Riot Bug

this is shocking in a way ...in other way i am not that surprised but yeah its sad...

9. Ryan Riverz

Ryan Riverz New Member

Now I'm gonna be paranoid every time I brush my teeth...:o

10. michyed

michyed THE STRANGER

^Aw I don't think you should worry too much about that- it comes off in 2 minutes :rofl:

11. ambidextrous

ambidextrous New Member

My seche vite top coat (nails) says it contains cancerogenic ingredients according to the state of California... I don't care :X I also knew before this that tooth paste isn't really healthy for you, not anything else chemical. I'll probably die 10 years ealier from all my cosmetics, but rather this, than not being able to enjoy all the make up.

12. laisla

laisla New Member

I think we all get bought in by fancy advertising and brand names sometimes without stopping to question what exactly is in the products; why are they in there and what do they do.

The cosmetics industry has managed to go relatively unregulated for far too long so I'm not in the least bit surprised at this, in fact I suspected as much. However, lets not get too carried away and put things into perspective. Whilst I'm not condoning the use of potentially harmful chemicals in cosmetic and skin care products, the levels that are being used are pretty low and don't pose a great health risk. If they did, well...we'd be dropping down like flies.

And a final thought...'natural' products aren't always necessarily better for you or less harmful. Poison Ivy is natural but you wouldn't slap that on your face.

13. michyed

michyed THE STRANGER

SO true.