Costume Institute Gala 2007 -- Paul Poiret

F

fashionologie

from fwd:

The next Costume Institute gala may be a good seven months away, but the Metropolitan Museum of Art has already selected the subject of its upcoming exhibition: Paul Poiret. The museum’s team has been quietly scouring couture collectors and vintage store owners for Poiret’s designs for some time now in preparation for next May’s star-studded event. Poiret, who passed away in 1944, was a couturier based in Paris before World War I. He was the first couturier to launch his own perfume named Rosine, after his oldest daughter. Fashion-wise, he is credited with launching the suspender belt, flesh-colored stockings, and culottes. Poiret’s fashions have been revered for the last century, including his signature: the rose, which served as a decorative element on his label and often showed up on his creations. This May might well trump the recent Anglomania exhibition—while the British certainly know how to party, Poiret was notorious for his lavish soirées. Fashion experts still talk about Poiret’s “The Thousand and Second Night” party, where he hosted over 300 guests and required everyone to don Asian-inspired costumes (those who did not oblige were simply asked to leave).

thanks for the info...
though i do not expect it will be anything to write home about...since none of their exhibits are...

it's such a shame really....
one of the greatest musuems in one of the greatest cities in the world and they cannot get the fashion/costume thing together already!...

wish i could go but i'll make sure i get the catalogue :heart:
Poiret was a genious

I remember all those wonderful exotic illustrations ... they were great ... and all that arabesque influence in his clothes is so marvelous!
Hum ... I agree with Spike .. totally worth check out!

softgrey said:
thanks for the info...
though i do not expect it will be anything to write home about...since none of their exhibits are...

it's such a shame really....
one of the greatest musuems in one of the greatest cities in the world and they cannot get the fashion/costume thing together already!...

Amen! :angry:

For a city like NYC, it is a true shame that the costume dept. is a joke. My dad is from NYC so I frequent it...and everytime I go, the costume dept. is closed.

from wwd...

After feting the Brits last spring, the Metropolitan Museum of Art will give a nod to the French next year.

Paul Poiret will be the subject of the Costume Institute's summer exhibition, which is being put together by Harold Koda, curator in charge of the Costume Institute, with the institute's curator Andrew Bolton. Balenciaga is underwriting the exhibit, with additional support by Condé Nast. The benefit gala on May 7 will be cochaired by Cate Blanchett, Balenciaga's creative director Nicolas Ghesquière, and Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour. PPR chairman François-Henri Pinault will serve as the honorary chair. The gala will be designed by Jean-Hughes de Chatillon and Raul Avila.

"Paul Poiret is one of the masters of 20th-century fashion, and it felt right to associate Balenciaga with this exhibition, which will allow a larger amount of people to recognize his legacy," Ghesquière said. "If you look at 20th-century fashion, it is unquestionable that Poiret was a great visionary. If I had to sum it up, I would say that he is probably the first who allowed women to free themselves of constricted and stiff clothing."

Poiret, whose legacy is considered to be the liberation of women from the corset and the use of bright colors and arts references, is often remembered for the East Asian influences he used. However, he also had a more modernist vein, mostly in the ensembles he designed for his wife and muse, Denise.

Bolton said that the original idea for this exhibit came from a sale of Denise Poiret's personal wardrobe at Paris' Piasa auction house in May 2005.

"The clothing was the undiluted expression of Poiret's creativity, which came as quite a shock to Harold and I," Bolton said. "What was interesting about the sale was to see how multilayered he was as a designer and how truly a modernist he was. When we think about modernity, we think of Chanel and Jean Patou, but Poiret was doing a chemise dress, which required no undergarments whatsoever, as early as 1908."

Koda and Bolton have spent the past six months assembling ensembles for the exhibit and developing themes of the show. Many of the pieces were purchased by the Costume Institute at the sale of Denise Poiret's estate, but the curators are also culling items from London's Victoria & Albert Museum, Paris' Musée de la Mode and Musée Galliera, the Museo de la Moda in Santiago, Chile, as well as from various private wardrobes.

"What prompted us was to revisit his design legacy because his impact on 20th-century fashion can't be overstated," Bolton said. "Poiret was credited with liberating women from the corset and introducing jupe culottes into fashion, but his real legacy is the manipulation of fabric on the body, of draping fabric directly onto the body and allowing it to be part of the creative process and part of the elegance."

The exhibit is expected to be presented in a series of chronologically organized tableaux.

"We didn't want to do a retrospective as such," Bolton said. "It is going to cover key moments of his history, but it will be more conceptually based, and many of the vignettes will be styled after illustrations."

The show will highlight not just Poiret's expertise of draping and unstructured fabrics, but also his fascination with the arts, such as the Ballets Russes and the Wiener Werkstätte, as well as themes like orientalism. His work will be exhibited with paintings, illustrations, sculpture and other objects.

"Poiret worked with various artists, such as George Lepape, and some of vignettes will be styled after the illustrations Lepape worked with," Bolton explained. "We also want to show innovations of his cut and construction, and we will employ new technology to show how radical his cuts were, such as video components to reveal the modernity of his clothing."

The exhibit, which will run May 9 to Aug. 5, will be located in the special exhibition galleries in the same space used for the Chanel show two years before. There will be about 70 ensembles.

At least this show is set to have 70 ensembles... Anglomania probably had less than half that number :lol: what a joke that was, it took about 20 minutes to look through IF you made sure to stare at everything intently.

I love Poiret though, so I hope they do a half decent job of it. :unsure:

Poiret exhibition at the Met, NYC.

[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Upcoming Exhibitions[/FONT]
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Poiret: King of Fashion
May 9, 2007–August 5, 2007
[/FONT]
http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={0DC3D00F-4611-4F91-8DC2-CC3C1A5C48D5}

Poiret: King of Fashion
May 9, 2007–August 5, 2007
Special Exhibition Galleries, 1st floor
spacer.gif
[FONT=geneva,arial,sans-serif]In the annals of fashion history, Paul Poiret (1879–1944), who called himself the "King of Fashion," is best remembered for freeing women from corsets and further liberating them through pantaloons. However, it was Poiret’s remarkable innovations in the cut and construction of clothing, made all the more remarkable by the fact that he could not sew, that secured his legacy. Working with fabric directly onto the body, Poiret helped to pioneer a radical approach to dressmaking that relied more on the skills of drapery than on those of tailoring. Focusing on his technical ingenuity and originality, the exhibition will explore Poiret’s modernity in relation to and as an expression of the dominant discourses of the early 20th century, including Cubism, Classicism, Orientalism, Symbolism, and Primitivism.
spacer.gif

The exhibition and its accompanying book are made possible by Balenciaga. Additional support is provided by Condé Nast.

Note:Anna Wintour and Nicolas Ghesquiere co-hosted a reception for the exhibition in Paris today.
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really looking forward to this exhibition,thanks for posting!

YAY! I'm in NYC then to see it. Is the Anglo-Mania still on? I know it has been quite a while...

Ok i am confused isnt the Gala for the stars on 5th,like every year? :unsure:

Anyone know when is it?

nytimes

May 6, 2007
Vogue Plays Fairy Godmother

By TATIANA BONCOMPAGNI

A WEEK before the Costume Institute party at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the actress Elizabeth Banks, needing a gown for the event, arrived at the offices of Vogue. Editors had assembled a rack of eight dresses, and Ms. Banks tried each one on, had it pinned around her slender frame and posed for a Polaroid camera.

A floral-print Oscar de la Renta was dismissed as too “bridesmaid.” A strapless Dior wasn’t significant enough for the gala evening, which is tomorrow, a highlight of the New York social and fashion calendar.

Eventually, Ms. Banks, who appears in “Scrubs” on NBC and in “Spider-Man 3,” narrowed it down to a trapeze dress by Vera Wang and a satin Prada.

Meredith Melling Burke, a Vogue editor, whisked the Polaroids of the two finalists in to show Anna Wintour then quickly returned from the editorial mountaintop: “She said you should pick whatever you feel great in.”

It may not have been the advice Ms. Banks was hoping for, but really, with gowns so beautiful and thematically appropriate (all of them had the dusky colors, feathers and relaxed silhouette that were hallmarks of Paul Poiret, the early-20th-century designer who is the subject of the Costume Institute exhibition that opens on Wednesday), Ms. Banks could not have blundered. That, in part, was why she had come to Vogue, said Ms. Melling Burke, the senior market editor. “She wanted to have a fashion moment.”

No other evening in New York offers the fashion moment of the Costume Institute gala, long known as “the party of the year” and now, in tribute to the clout of Ms. Wintour, Vogue’s editor in chief, as “Anna’s party.” The gala benefits from Ms. Wintour’s enormous influence over fashion and celebrity, raising $4.5 million last year for the museum. This year, with tickets at $6,500, even more is expected.

Ms. Wintour heads the event, along with Cate Blanchett and Nicolas Ghesquiere of Balenciaga. Besides encouraging the likes of Tiffany & Company, Chanel and Saks Fifth Avenue to buy tables from $65,000 to $150,000, and cajoling European designers and Hollywood actresses to fly in for the night, Ms. Wintour’s presence signals that guests are to dress to Vogue’s exacting standards.

To that end, the magazine staff helps about 10 high-profile women to chose their dresses, including this year Kate Bosworth, Zani Gugelmann and Byrdie Bell, the 22-year-old girl-about-town. In addition, editors play matchmaker to another 10 or so actresses, models and socialites, directing them to designers who have expressed a desire to dress a photogenic guest. This year they include Joely Richardson and the quirky, hip model Irina Lazareanu.

For the women, the designers and the magazine itself, the relationship is symbiotic. Guests are given or lent expensive dresses not yet in stores, while the designers receive publicity for a fraction of the cost of advertising. Photographs of the glamorously attired women appear widely, not least in Vogue (the magazine dedicated eight pages to the gala last year).

“Our goal is to have more fashion statements,” Ms. Melling Burke said. “We put a lot of effort into every aspect of it. We like to have the fashion up to par as well.”

Phillip Lim, the designer to whom Ms. Lazareanu was referred, said: “It’s an opportunity for us to present who embodies our clothes. It’s almost like having a live billboard or live campaign.” Mr. Lim chose a short tuxedo-jacket dress from his holiday collection for Ms. Lazareanu.

As the model’s fashion fairy godmother, Lauren Davis, a contributing Vogue editor, said she had sent Ms. Lazareanu to Mr. Lim (who is a Vogue favorite) because she “loves that masculine-feminine look, and I knew Phillip’s whole last collection was very much like that.”

On Tuesday, Ms. Davis, a chairwoman of the Friends of the Costume Institute (“a small and select group of people” who support the Met’s fashion collection, she explained by e-mail message) had her own fitting for the party. She planned to wear a made-to-order Nina Ricci gown, a gift to Ms. Davis from the fashion house. It is a show-stopping number featuring deconstructed tiers of gradating chartreuse silk. (Its retail value, according to Nina Ricci, is $27,900.)

After asking for a few Polaroids so she could show Ms. Wintour, Ms. Davis said she was busy helping Tatiana Santo Domingo, a niece of Ms. Davis’s fiancé, find a dress for the party. “I was talking with Billy Norwich about what she would wear,” she said, referring to William Norwich, Vogue’s society columnist. “We went through Style.com and then found out what was available and hadn’t been sold yet.”

Although Ms. Davis had secured a Christian Lacroix dress for Ms. Santo Domingo last Wednesday, she said they were going to visit other designer showrooms.

One thing that is settled for the evening is who will be doing Ms. Santo Domingo’s hair: John Barrett. Mr. Barrett, whose New York salon will see about 50 other partygoers before tomorrow night, said he had received referrals from Vogue editors in past years to style the hair of women such as Lady Gabriella Windsor and Daphne Guinness.

Certainly, the majority of women attending the benefit (700 guests are expected) will be dressed without any help from Vogue. Early last week, Anh Duong, a painter and former fashion model, had the final fitting for her Christian Lacroix haute couture dress at the Carlyle Hotel, while Jennifer Creel, a fixture on the charity-ball scene, had a second fitting in the tulle and jet beaded dress she ordered from Carolina Herrera’s fall 2007 collection.

“Dressing for the Met is a little more theatrical,” Ms. Creel said. “The whole evening is a celebration of fashion, and people do go more over the top. I always dress in what suits me, but obviously you want to stand out.”

To stand apart in a sea of beautiful gowns, a woman must first get her hands on the right one. But how to know which is the right one?

Ms. Melling Burke said that wearing a dress by the lead sponsor (this year it’s Balenciaga) “is always a feather in the cap of a girl.”

Plum Sykes, a novelist and a Vogue contributing editor, said “there probably is a hierarchy” of designers and gowns.

“But it’s not like the designers are sitting there holding a dress in hopes the right girl comes along,” Ms. Sykes added. “Most of your more fashionable women are going to be making their requests early.”

Lisa Airan, a well-dressed dermatologist, in February commissioned Kate and Laura Mulleavy, the designers of the hot fashion line Rodarte, to make her dress.

At a Tuesday afternoon fitting in the SoHo showroom of Thakoon Panichgul, the model Hana Soukupova asked politely about a dove-colored silk dress from the designer, which is featured in a Vogue spread this month on Poiret-inspired contemporary fashions. Too late! “Everyone’s been asking about that one,” Mr. Panichgul said.

The dress has been secured by Lauren DuPont, a New York social figure (and former Vogue-ette).

Sometimes one young woman’s castoff is another one’s treasure. After further deliberation at her afternoon fitting Monday, Ms. Banks, the actress, chose the Prada dress over the Vera Wang.

When Ms. Bell, the girl-about-town, arrived at Vogue on Tuesday, out of the half-dozen dresses set aside by Ms. Melling Burke, it was the Vera Wang that caught her eye. The next day the dress was delivered to the Vera Wang offices and Ms. Bell dropped by for alterations. She appraised herself in a mirror.

“I love this dress so much,” she said, excited about taking her first trip up the long staircase of the Met.

06soc450.jpg

Melissa Lynn for The New York TImes
BELLES OF THE BALL Hana Soukupova being fitted by the designer Thakoon Panichgul.

06soc650.jpg

Elizabeth Lippman for The New York Times
Lauren Davis, with Ludwig Heissmeyer, plans to wear a made-to-order Nina Ricci gown, a gift from the fashion house.

06soc450-1.jpg

Melissa Lynn for The New York TImes
Elizabeth Banks trying on one of the eight dresses assembled for her in the Vogue office.

Silly question, but with an event as fashion-conscience as this, what happens if two women would wear the same dress? Not all of them are getting loaners, so wouldn't that be entirely possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbtina
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->