Costume Institute Gala 2007

After looking at more pics, some new great looks have emerged. Lauren Davis looked like a swan (as always) in that AMAZING Nina Ricci gown, though she loses points for its lack of reference to Poiret. While Zani Gugelmann's dress itself wasn't phenomenal, the entire look accomplished exactly what I think Kirsten Dunst attempted to but utterly failed to accomplish. I also loved Helen Lee Schifter's Nina Ricci, and though it wasn't exactly very Poiret, she accessorized it to the point where the entire ensemble was a perfect balance of modern cutting-edge and subtle Poiret homage. Lisa Airan, one of my all-time favorites, I am sure looked lovely underneath that cape, and her makeup and hair were phenomenal, but even though most attendees lost points with me for NOT referencing Poiret in their choices, Airan loses a couple for possibly taking it too far. Overall, this year's Gala was really a reflection of the direction in which fashion seems to be headed right now - toward utter confusion and an indiscernable mishmash of aesthetics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know. 5k seems really low. A lot of blase corporate dinners in smaller cities can go for a couple grand a table of 5 or so people. So a big event like this to only go for 5k a plate?

Elizabeth Banks @ The Costume Institute Gala in honor of "Poiret: King Of Fashion" May 7, 2007
superiorpics.com

Emily Blunt - Costume Institute Gala in honor of "Poiret: King of Fashion", NYC - 05/07/07
superiorpics.com

style_savy, LOVED that review of the night. LOL, good job. For some reason, I enjoy the comments about fashion more if there are pictures to support it. I tried giving you karma, but it says I have to spread out reputation or something. So yay.

But, um, why no Sandra Bullock? She looked great.

She did look great probably the best I've ever seen her. There's quite a few well dressed people I left out just because I can't mention everyone but here she is again for those who missed her. I would probably put her in the effort and biceps category lol.
celebcity
25817sandrabullockcelebod0.jpg

loved your list, style savy!

.. I don't know what the big reaction on Kirsten's dress was about?... is it the volume, the length, what is it?. err.
I think she pulled it off FANTASTICALLY, she looked amazing and the rest should take some hints from her when it comes to understanding the theme of the event and taking risks without looking like a clown..

my favorites!. :heart:

Shalom!.
Gisele
Coco
Charlotte Gainsbourg.
Elettra Rossellini
Kirsten Dunst
Sophie Dahl
Isabeli Fontana
Margherita Missoni
Jessica Stam
Stella Tennant
Meredith Melling Burke

A disappointment this year. Who knew celebrities could dress so badly!?

Best Dressed:

Cate Blanchett - Not my taste exactly, but she looked so statuesque!
Camilla Belle - I love that she took a risk and totally pulled it off!
Kate Moss - Even though it was blatant self-promotion, it's kind of nice that she wore Topshop to an event of this magnitude.
Meredith Melling Burke - Vintage Poiret!
Miuccia Prada - Always chooses some of the most wearable parts of her collection. And even better: this fits with the theme of the night.
Cameron Diaz - The turquoise totally sets the look apart from everyone else!
Kirsten Dunst - A huge risk, but it looks gorgeous. And the flower in her hair! Perfect! The second best dressed of the night.
Hana Soukupova - One of the best dresses of next season.
Charlotte Gainsbourg - It's exciting seeing Balenciaga off the runway.
Vera Wang - I just love whatever she makes.
Irina Lazareanu - How wonderful is that look for her!?
Lauren Davis - Anyone wearing Nina Ricci is on my A list.
Jessica Stam - The BEST dressed here. This worked out perfectly. And it's so Poiret!
Zani Gugelmann - Again, another themed dresser.
Helen Lee Schifter - More Nina Ricci!
Franca Sozzani - Alberta Ferretti dressed half the guests!

Best Dressed Men:

Karl Lagerfeld - He always looks wonderful, though.
Hammish Bowles - Went with the theme, and looks great, even if it is Tom Ford.
Olivier Theyskens - I love the sheen of the tuxedo. And the fit is perfection.

Worst Dressed:

Julianne Moore - I hate to say it, because I loved the collection, but this is not a good look.
Iman - She looked so dated. But I'm not a fan to begin with.
Diane von Furstenberg - She gained like, an extra person, wearing that dress.
Melania Trump - A Michael Kors cocktail dress? How appropriate.
Tommy Hilfiger - He looks ridiculous!
Dee Ocleppo - She looks ridiculous!
André Leon Talley - I love his flair for the drama, but it's poorly executed.
Thom Browne - He looks so awkward in his own clothes.

Its like 5k a plate.

Wow. That must be some really amazing food. :P

Alas, I cannot afford that....I suppose I will have to try ninja tatics instead. :wink:

I just can't get over Iman...she's one of my favourites, and she usually looks so polished and lovely! What happened!?

Style Savy, you're my hero! Great list! :flower:

ilaughead, loved your list and thoughts too! :flower:

Jessica Stam was probably my favorite---- she looked like she'd stepped right out of a Gustav Klimt painting. Tres Art Deco!

One more thought. I applaud Lisa Airan for showing up in the Poiret cape---- it was a thoughtful, classy, and sophisticated gesture (some attendees probably didn't even know who Poiret was).

Too bad it was Rodarte aka One Trick Pony underneath. :ninja: Hey, I'm all for gushing and protecting homegrown designers but their stuff are just.... so....badly made. :(

after__eight said:
Kirsten and Jessica looked like damn fools.

Agreed.

Bjork took a huge risk at the grammys but we all know how that ended.:innocent:

Kristin's dress is horrible because of the color combination, the fit, etc. Costume Gala or not, you're going to a dinner with some of the greatest designers in the industry! This is your chance to wear the most glamorous dress in your closet. She was a joke.

Put here in the "risk takers" section, but seriously, best dressed?:yuk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turbotastic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->