Costume Institute Gala 2010 : American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by MissMagAddict, Sep 8, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

source | wwd.com

[​IMG]
    Anna May Wong in “Limehouse Blues,” wearing a costume by Travis Banton in 1934.
    Photo by John Kobal Foundation/Getty Images

[​IMG]
    A blue silk sequined and beaded Jean-Philippe Worth ballgown, 1898.

[​IMG]
    A circa-1910 yellow and beige silk evening jumpsuit that is attributed to Callot Soeurs.

2. RedAzalie

RedAzalie New Member

oh i can see all the starletts wearing USA flag around their body XD.

Chanelling some form of worksuit will be intresting. I really wonder what will wear Ash coz first she is all about woman in bussines and about simple dressing in CK style.

3. Trista

Trista New Member

I definitely like this as a theme because you really have so much to draw upon, and you can see what was going on at the time as current events do influence fashion. I also love Oprah as a co-chair for the gala.

4. user.n.

user.n. New Member

The idea itself is good, but i'm afraid it will turn to boring.

5. Miss Galliano

Miss Galliano Active Member

these pictures are amazing , so catchy to see these costumes so pollish and raffined
    please guys post more of pictures .. i love this thread !
    DON'T FORGET TO WRITE THE SOURCE HIHI

6. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

Uh... the source is wwd.com & it's at the top of the first post.

7. LolaSvelt

LolaSvelt New Member

It's a great idea, but I can just see the gala being boring. In recent years, they have invited some boring irrelevant people who come to the gala dressed like they are ready for a premiere.

But I have faith in the supermodels plus stylish actresses like Chloe Sevigny, Diane Kruger, Leighton Meester, Kirsten Dunst, Kate Bosworth etc... who are not afraid to take risks.

8. sethii

sethii New Member

Much more interesting than the supermodels and superhero themes.

9. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

I dont think this is an interesting theme at all, but i always enjoy their ball. To me its way better than the Oscar's because celebs.etc can really take risks and dress up, and have fun.

And i like the co-chair's this year, Oprah is a great choice.

Thanks for posting MMA. :flower:

10. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

Sounds like just another vague trip through fashion history, like the Model as Muse exhibit was, only this exhibit will be covering the time period before where MoM started off. Rounding up a bunch of historical fashions and grouping it by look doesn't exactly sound exciting.

When you consider the exhibits that Valerie Steele and co. do at FIT, and on a much, much smaller scale, something like this just sounds depressing.

If they're going to do something about the history of fashion, I think they'd be better off focusing on a more specific time frame. 50 years worth of trends and styles is so much to cover. It just seems like too lofty a theme to do really well.

11. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

When I saw the theme, at first I thought of the Midwest, minivans, soccer moms, and sweatpants, and my response was - What American fashion identity?

Then I thought of Michelle Obama.

12. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

It's so true. When i read this piece of news, I was like, great...sounds thrilling. I like the idea of trying to visually capture the identity of the American woman, but I just cannot see it being pulled off successfully...it's too broad, and plus, don't we all know the evolution of bustle skirts to day suits and trousers? I think so.

And you're exactly right in comparing this to Valerie Steele's work at FIT. Her exhibits are fantastic (and I've only seen two). They are focused and insightful and engaging. The Met could learn a thing or two from her.

13. happyguy

happyguy New Member

i can;t wait!!! the MET gala is on the 3rd right?? i really loved the last exhibit and the whole idea of the american identity is fantastic. i'm obsessed with the history of american fashion so the previous exhibit was right up my alley. and this one< American WOman: fashioning a national identity is fantastic!!!can;t wait for the book to get to london!!!!

14. cygnenoir

cygnenoir This is the Renaissance

I'm still having a difficult time wrapping my head around the theme of this exhibit. I think it's fashion and it's impact on archetypes of American women from 1890-1940. So not exclusively American designers, but those who influenced American women. Is that it?

#14 cygnenoir, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited by moderator hellothere: May 3, 2010
  15. Flashbang

Flashbang Mr. Magic

nytimes.com

16. kimair

kimair frozen

this thread is not about celebrity style at the met gala...there is a thread for that in star style which will be opened when it gets closer to the start of the red carpet...
    this thread is for the actual exhibit...any celeb/red carpet posts will be deleted or moved to the other thread...
    thank you...

#16 kimair, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by moderator hellothere: May 3, 2010
  17. SGaspar

SGaspar New Member

At what time does the thing start?