Costume Institute Gala 2010 : American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity

MissMagAddict

Reaction score
source | wwd.com

NEW YORK — In the past decade, the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute has traveled to England via “AngloMania”; France with Chanel and Paul Poiret, and pretty much around the globe thanks to superheroes and models. Next spring, it is staying much closer to home with “American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity,” which explores the way fashion between 1890 and 1940 contributed to the evolving identity and perception of American women.

Scheduled from May 5 to Aug. 15, the show will mark the first Costume Institute exhibit based on the Brooklyn Museum Costume Collection that was transferred to the Met last January.

“I was looking through the Brooklyn Museum’s collection, and thinking about developing a concept around the holdings,” said Andrew Bolton, curator of the Costume Institute, who is organizing the exhibit with the help of curator in charge Harold Koda. “What I found really compelling around the collection was that there were clothes that to me epitomized these archetypes of American femininity that you have read about in novels and seen in paintings and photographs.”

The show, to be located in the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Exhibition Hall on the museum’s second floor, will feature about 75 pieces from designers such as Travis Banton, Callot Soeurs, Elizabeth Hawes, Madame Grès, Charles James, Jeanne Lanvin, Elsa Schiaparelli, Valentina, Jean-Philippe Worth and Charles Frederick Worth. The exhibit will touch on themes ranging from “The Heiress” to “Gibson Girls,” “Bohemian,” “Suffragist,” “Flappers” and “Screen Sirens.”

“The story of the American woman is really a story of the power of fashion to shape and define identity,” Bolton said. “That is one of the main ideas of the exhibitions.”

Koda said the show was also a way to celebrate the partnership with the Brooklyn Museum, and the fact that “they have the confidence that we are the appropriate partner for this collection. It was an appropriate thing to do to focus exclusively on their pieces.”

The exhibit will be underwritten by Gap, with additional support from Condé Nast. It will kick off with the annual Costume Institute Gala Benefit on May 3, and the co-chairs will be Oprah Winfrey, Gap designer Patrick Robinson and Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour.

“The theme of the exhibit is just such a natural fit for us,” said Marka Hansen, president of Gap North America. “It’s a great way to see the influence of fashion through all the different generations and styles.”

At the same time, the Brooklyn Museum will stage “American Style: Fashioning a National Collection,” which will feature pieces by the likes of Charles James, Norman Norrell and Jeanne Paquin that once belonged to women such as Lauren Bacall and Millicent Rogers. It will run from May 7 to Aug 1.

Anna May Wong in “Limehouse Blues,” wearing a costume by Travis Banton in 1934.
Photo by John Kobal Foundation/Getty Images

A blue silk sequined and beaded Jean-Philippe Worth ballgown, 1898.

A circa-1910 yellow and beige silk evening jumpsuit that is attributed to Callot Soeurs.

oh i can see all the starletts wearing USA flag around their body XD.

Chanelling some form of worksuit will be intresting. I really wonder what will wear Ash coz first she is all about woman in bussines and about simple dressing in CK style.

I definitely like this as a theme because you really have so much to draw upon, and you can see what was going on at the time as current events do influence fashion. I also love Oprah as a co-chair for the gala.

The idea itself is good, but i'm afraid it will turn to boring.

these pictures are amazing , so catchy to see these costumes so pollish and raffined
please guys post more of pictures .. i love this thread !
DON'T FORGET TO WRITE THE SOURCE HIHI

It's a great idea, but I can just see the gala being boring. In recent years, they have invited some boring irrelevant people who come to the gala dressed like they are ready for a premiere.

But I have faith in the supermodels plus stylish actresses like Chloe Sevigny, Diane Kruger, Leighton Meester, Kirsten Dunst, Kate Bosworth etc... who are not afraid to take risks.

Much more interesting than the supermodels and superhero themes.

I dont think this is an interesting theme at all, but i always enjoy their ball. To me its way better than the Oscar's because celebs.etc can really take risks and dress up, and have fun.

And i like the co-chair's this year, Oprah is a great choice.

Thanks for posting MMA. :flower:

Sounds like just another vague trip through fashion history, like the Model as Muse exhibit was, only this exhibit will be covering the time period before where MoM started off. Rounding up a bunch of historical fashions and grouping it by look doesn't exactly sound exciting.

When you consider the exhibits that Valerie Steele and co. do at FIT, and on a much, much smaller scale, something like this just sounds depressing.

If they're going to do something about the history of fashion, I think they'd be better off focusing on a more specific time frame. 50 years worth of trends and styles is so much to cover. It just seems like too lofty a theme to do really well.

When I saw the theme, at first I thought of the Midwest, minivans, soccer moms, and sweatpants, and my response was - What American fashion identity?

Then I thought of Michelle Obama.

Sounds like just another vague trip through fashion history, like the Model as Muse exhibit was, only this exhibit will be covering the time period before where MoM started off. Rounding up a bunch of historical fashions and grouping it by look doesn't exactly sound exciting.

When you consider the exhibits that Valerie Steele and co. do at FIT, and on a much, much smaller scale, something like this just sounds depressing.

If they're going to do something about the history of fashion, I think they'd be better off focusing on a more specific time frame. 50 years worth of trends and styles is so much to cover. It just seems like too lofty a theme to do really well.
It's so true. When i read this piece of news, I was like, great...sounds thrilling. I like the idea of trying to visually capture the identity of the American woman, but I just cannot see it being pulled off successfully...it's too broad, and plus, don't we all know the evolution of bustle skirts to day suits and trousers? I think so.

And you're exactly right in comparing this to Valerie Steele's work at FIT. Her exhibits are fantastic (and I've only seen two). They are focused and insightful and engaging. The Met could learn a thing or two from her.

i can;t wait!!! the MET gala is on the 3rd right?? i really loved the last exhibit and the whole idea of the american identity is fantastic. i'm obsessed with the history of american fashion so the previous exhibit was right up my alley. and this one< American WOman: fashioning a national identity is fantastic!!!can;t wait for the book to get to london!!!!

I'm still having a difficult time wrapping my head around the theme of this exhibit. I think it's fashion and it's impact on archetypes of American women from 1890-1940. So not exclusively American designers, but those who influenced American women. Is that it?

Last edited by a moderator:
American Women on the March
By SUZY MENKES
Published: May 3, 2010

NEW YORK — With noble heads held high and plain, determined faces, the women are on the march. They come from dead center, from the left and the right, an enfolding army in hazy black-and-white film footage, with a single message painted on a banner: Mr. President — How long must women wait for liberty?

This frisson of emotion is followed by a foot-tapping surge of freedom: figures in shimmy dresses with bobbed and crimped hair twinkling with crystals, jazz music and a graphic cityscape overhead.

“American Women: Fashioning a National Identity” at New York’s Metropolitan Museum is the story of how the heiresses to robber baron fortunes, dressed in bustled European ball gowns, morphed into sparky, sporty Gibson girls. Having won the battle for suffrage and planted the seeds of feminism, they matured from flapper to screen siren. Stars such as Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo and Rita Hayworth, camping it up in old movies, make this a show with a Hollywood ending.

Except that a final, digitalized room brings the story into the 21st century, with rotating projections of influential women from Serena Williams to Michele Obama.

“What was compelling was not the women — but their collective identities,” said Andrew Bolton, the exhibition’s curator. His task was to display historic pieces from 1890-1940 that the Met has received from the Brooklyn Museum, founded half a century earlier than the Costume Institute. Brooklyn is staging a parallel show of its master works.

The gala, set for Monday night and to be led by Anna Wintour of Vogue, Oprah Winfrey and Patrick Robinson, a chief designer at Gap, the event’s major sponsor, was intended as an action-packed, celebrity-filled event. From the hot air balloon suggesting a madcap sporty world to the yellow tulips spilling from white jugs on tables with wicker chairs, this was down-home simplicity (give or take the white piano destined to accompany the hip performer Lady Gaga.)

Getting the same sporty American energy into a static museum setting is not so easy, but with the powerful imagination of the set designer Nathan Crowley, each vignette in the show becomes symbolic of women’s progress.

“When I walk though the show, it seemed more than just fashion, it was the history of America,” Mr. Robinson said.

While Ms. Wintour said: “It looks so modern, the flapper girls could be wearing dresses from today.”

Hand-painted backdrops on a curve show a triptych of spring flowers, a seascape and russet leaves as the setting for the turn-of-the-century Gibson girls — long-limbed, gutsy ladies in linen tennis skirts, sailor swimsuits, side-saddle riding coats and ermine-trimmed skating outfits.

Mr. Crowley said the time-travel concept of 20th-century world fairs inspired him to recreate Stanford White’s Washington Square Arch of 1895, as well as Mrs. Astor’s ballroom in Newport, Rhode Island, for the million-dollar heiresses .

The other wizard of the show is the hairstylist Julien d’Ys, who excelled with the ever-changing styles — princess up-dos, Bohemian curls and Veronica Lake waterfalls. The coiffeurs alone identify the era and such hair artistry deserves a day to have an exhibition of its own.

The show really takes off with the Gibson girls, their full leg’o mutton sleeves no hindrance to what Mr. Bolton calls their “sporty, athletic, youthful ideas.”

“One of her major sources of emancipation was sport,” said the curator, who points out the shirt-waist dresses and bifurcated cycling skirts back in 1895 as the first hints of women adapting a male wardrobe.

The dulcet tones of Sarah Jessica Parker on the audio guide make history palatable.

The most beautifully realized room is the circle of Tiffany-style stained glass against which intricate dresses, freeing once-corseted bodies, and with hints of exoticism, showcase the beauties of the Brooklyn collection. A case of lacy shoes from the cobbler Yantorny, dresses by Liberty, Paul Poiret and Callot Soeurs (and even a 1910 jumpsuit) reflect the essence of the aesthetic period.

But the beating heart of this show is the march of the patriots, where Mr. Bolton said he deliberately aimed for videos enfolding the audience as in Bill Viola’s art.

The flappers are a fresh and frivolous outcome of emancipation, while the screen goddesses are an all-American cousinhood. In that display, there are movie clips of Joan Crawford, Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo and of Rita Hayworth in 1946 as Gilda “putting the blame on Mame.” Those movies — even in black and white — bring to vibrant life the grand designer dresses, especially the Anna May Wong dragon embroidered gown created by the costume designer Travis Banton for “Limehouse Blues” in 1934.

In spite of the modern faces rotating on the final digital story board that brings “American Woman” up to 21st-century speed, what is missing from the exhibition are fashion crosscurrents to link past and present.

Mr. Bolton might have found designers today to express the spirit of his chosen categories: an Oscar de la Renta gown to fit with the new money heiresses in their Worth gowns; a current Asian-American designer beside Anna May Wong’s dress; a Ralph Lauren chemise to challenge the flappers; and the troubling beauty of Rodarte among the Bohemians.

And why not show the casual ease of Michael Kors or, indeed, jeans and T-shirts from the Gap, to project how sportswear became America’s dominant fashion force?

As Bob Fisher of the Gap put it: “When my parents started the business in 1969, they wouldn’t say they had a social mission at the time. But we did play an important role.”

The concept of the future growing from the past is the essence of a good fashion exhibition. Mr. Bolton and his team have done a fine job. Yet the show is missing that final link to American designers re-fashioning the future.

American Woman. Fashioning a National Identity. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Through Aug. 15.
nytimes.com

this thread is not about celebrity style at the met gala...there is a thread for that in star style which will be opened when it gets closer to the start of the red carpet...
this thread is for the actual exhibit...any celeb/red carpet posts will be deleted or moved to the other thread...
thank you...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->