Costume Institute Gala 2013 : "PUNK: Chaos To Couture"

My favorite is Anne. Her entire outfit is striking and the only time I approve of the blond hair.

Anja and Anne Hathaway are my favorite they both capture the mood or theme of the night

Why is he so awesome? :blush:

I don't know why but I seriously fangirl whenever he's at an event/say's something awesome. Eddie Redmayne is just so adorable and stylish and yeah, I've got a major crush on him (if that wasn't already very obvious. :lol:) ! :blush:

Also, not sure if anyone put this picture of Mindy Kaling (in Lela Rose) with BJ Novak up. Not going to lie, I kinda freaked out when I saw that they went together, they are the coolest celebrity besties.
tumblr_mmep45BFJw1r7tnd3o1_500.png

miss-rumphius.tumblr.com

^Did you know they've dated on and off for years? Just like their characters on The Office.

I Approve :woot:

Miley Cyrus- Wonderful amalgam of glamour and punk, and still very fitting of her attitude and personal style.

Sarah Jessica Parker- Leave it to the Queen to bring high fashion punk realness

Doutzen Kroes- Pretty punk. I love it.

Anne Hathaway- Pleasent surprise: on theme, on trend, on point

Madonna- Gotta give shoutouts to the ONE celeb brave enough to go full speed ahead into the theme

Donatella Versace- Hands down, best incorporation of the theme into a beautiful, well made, and totally appropriate evening gown (though she is a Versace, so that's hardly surprising :rolleyes: )

Cara Deleveign, Sienna Miller, Lauren Santo Domingo, Joan Smalls, Giovanna Battaglia

I Think I Approve...? :huh:

Gwyneth- First Lady of Minimalist Chic, once again hitting the nail on the head

Mary Kate and Ashley- Lookin a bit haggard, but as always they showed the world how hipster boho chic is done.

Emma Watson- Something was off, something was missing. Not quite sure what, but the dress was definitely appropriate and sexy

Rooney Mara- What's left to be said? Disappointing

Gisele, the Courtin-Clarins girls, Christina Ricci

... um :ninja:

Kim Kardashian- I don't have the firey hatred for her that many here do, but this look was just not acceptable by any stretch of the imagination. I don't even thinking Karolina Kurkova could have worn that successfully... and that is really, really saying something.

Heidi Klum- It's one thing to ignore the theme, it's another to seem like you are downright protesting it. Protesting it poorly, too, might I add. Quite possibly the most boring look of the night

Katie Holmes- Just kidding... NOW we have the most boring look of the night.

Karlie Kloss, Marion Cotillard, Kate Beckinsale

Sobriquet87, I did know that Mindy and BJ have dated on and off over the years, I know its wrong to ship real people and I never do that, but I do hope they stick together. They are one pairing I find adorable. On The Mindy Project, BJ and Mindy worked together on a storyline that was based on their relationship/friendship, it was sweet. I meant to say in my last post that I really like the color pairing of Mindy's dress, the two go so well together.

And, I agree with you about Eddie... he's quite the catch (whoever his gf is, is lucky)! :crush:

I have to agree that way more people made an effort with the theme than I thought they would. If you compare it to the Superhero one anyway.

I'm glad SJP looks amazing this time after her curtain dress last year. I need to review the thread to pick my favs.

Mary-Kate Olsen is a bit of a punk at heart that's why I think she is an appropiate guest for today's gala ...she has that bobo-hippy-punk-thing going

"Punk" and "hippy" should not be placed in the same sentence together. Ever. Also, millionaires (and in some cases billionaires) dressing as "punks" is laughable. I find this entire event insulting.

dressing as punks and making fashion inspired by the punk era aren't the same thing and if you can't draw inspiration off of peoples and cultural movements then what would fashion even be, if anything?

Im pretty sure Nicole Richie had spray on dye like the Givenchy hair. This was so disappointing to go through 39 pages and only remember SJP (amazing), Beyonce (so basic, bad and gross), and Kim Kardashian (a woodland troll)

Overall, don't know why they bother to choose a topic anymore. A 90% (maybe more) just dress like going to any red carpet. Booooring. The only chance to have fun with fashion and they chose to play safe :(

My choices...

The good

The bad

The disappointments
(I just thought these two were going to be very interesting)

GettyImages

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooohh...I hadn't seen Liu Wen's outfit before, I love how she captured the essence of the gala theme but in a more glamourous way.

Oh! Now I think that punk theme was a huge mistake. Because a lot of people was or too simple (trying not fail), or too Halloween (trying punk costume with colorful hair and thorns). I never could think that it would be so hard for stylists to create beautiful punk chic outfit having some balance.

I think the best-dressed of course Cam Diaz, Florence, Anne Hathaway, Sara Jessica Parker, Liu Wen, Jaime King, Constance Jablonski, Rooney Mara, Dree...

Sienna Miller was great too but I have some doubts about the hair. I like the idea of Nicole Richies white hair but the dress was not so good. Kinda like Hilary Rhonda outfit... Olsen sisters have remembering outfits. Jennifer Lawrence was great too but I still cant see her as Dior girl. A lot of models were better than celebrities.

I have sad feelings about Gwen Stefani because she is the best fot Punk Couture theme, but Margiela dress doesnt suit her body shape.

Well. Madonna's outfit is fun! Its hard to put her in the best-dressed list but her look is pretty stylish and its so her.

Beyonce and Kim are of course the worst-dressed.

I think the worst thing about this year Met gala (I personally thought it could be the best but in my opinion it was the worst) is everyone were trying so hard. And on the top, ladies who stayed true to themselves and their style.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Anne Hathaways outfit! Spot on!
Most outfits were a let down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->