"couture’s Health Check"

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Atelier, May 13, 2004.

1. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

Today's WWD

2. Amélie

Amélie New Member

oh dear...

3. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

troubling news but .. it just makes sense.
    global economy is in a very bad state for spectacles and extravaganzas...

if they go on with couture week they will certainly have to focus in new designers

ps: Versace will show in their Milano atelier, here extracts from the wwd article

4. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Okay, first off, I hope that the media will NOT sensationalize this. Givenchy is LOOKING for a designer, not leaving. Just Ungaro and Versace.

Also Berge has a point there, but he is not totally correct and seems to full of himself. To quote him, "I’m sure others will follow. I’ve always said that the couture would die with Yves Saint Laurent. Now it’s a domino effect. The couture has lost its raison d’être. Couture isn’t art. It’s not meant to be hung in a closet like a painting. The women who wore couture no longer exist, the art de vivre that spawned couture has died." Dude, have you seen Gaultier couture collections lately and just wait for me to get into the couture club, you'll see. :rolleyes: :boxer:

As for the rumours Valentino may be leaving the couture club, I dunno. It may be possible since his latest couture collection was barely passable-as couture-like Ungaros.

Though, you know who's rejoicing over this news? Jean-Paul Gaultier. When he found out YSL was going to retire he wanted to prove himself and become the new establishment, which he now is. That's why you can see how carefully designed his couture collections were from Spring 2001; like sharply tailored suits opened the show before the spectacle. He's gonna prove himself once again.

Sad news, though, for John Galliano. Well, we all know he has been creating bad collections recently and if he sends out a bad this fall... oh no.. you get the picture; worst time to send out a bad couture collection.

Good news, though, for Givenchy. The brand is given it's much needed 'vanishment' time (since it's been changing designers alot) and Julien isn't there to show (it would be the worst time). :clap:

Also hope Karl will send out a strong one that will equal his Fall 2002 one.

Thanks, At. :flower:

5. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

True, but you know what it would not be this way if the designers gave out wearable and strong couture collections that clients would PAY (I'm looking at you freebie-celebs) for.

Also this fusing-fusing of RTW and HC, IMO, may be great but don't give a f*ck. Make couture, what you designers want, 'modern'. Make it wearable, light and can finish right away. Also if you 'fuse' couture will never be the same way again. :cry:

Also, hoping that Ralph and Lacroix will turn out brilliant collections.

6. seditionary

seditionary New Member

on the contrary.... if i am every super rich, im sure as hell gonna buy a few couture pieces n have them as art... but that purely coz i would never wear them, but i appreciate them so much...

do houses ever produce couture outfits from seasons past?

im getting miffed that couture is slowly fading.... my dream was at some point to go to a well established house n to learn some of the arts n crafts of couture :cry:

7. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

OMG, sedi you look like Jake Gylhenhaal. :shock:

8. seditionary

seditionary New Member

ot: :hardhead:

hilariously loud laughter ensues...
    I SO DO NOT.... hav u seen other piccies of me?

yuck.. i have been upgraded to gold stars... i dont like them :furious: i want my blue ones back :cry:

9. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

hilariously loud laughter ensues...
    I SO DO NOT.... hav u seen other piccies of me?

yuck.. i have been upgraded to gold stars... i dont like them :furious: i want my blue ones back :cry: [/b][/quote]
    Yes I saw. I'm only saying in that photo. :flower:

10. versace

versace New Member

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooo... Versace Couture is unbelievable.. but instead.. COUTURE AS A WHOLE will be doooomed!!! THATS SO SAD

11. MaLkAv

MaLkAv New Member

You're so right ignitioned! When I saw the latest show by Jean-Paul I was shocked 'cause it is so beatiful.

No doubt that these farewell will strengthen is position.

btw I'm disappointed because one of the thing I like most in the fashion industry is the haute couture world... imho the shows are the essence of the word "fashion".

12. seditionary

seditionary New Member

i agree.. its so unbeleiveable how it was ever named couture.... it is just the same trashy stuff donetella sends down the pap runways... :yuk: :ninja:

13. seditionary

seditionary New Member

DIOR COUTURE.... will never die... its tooo much of a tradition as is CHANEL...
    they will either replace galliano/largerfeld... or work out some way for it to carry on...but i dont see anything like that happening anytime soon... the couture spectacle, be it a bad GALLIANO theatrical display, or a demure LAGERFELD coco loco creation, creates the buzz around the names dior n chanel as the article said.... people want to buy into that image... so they buy what they can afford... be it chanel number 5 or dior show mascara.... the houses make money off of their names more than ever... the perfumes, the bags, the shoes, the makeup and the jewellry... thats where their money comes from... not couture and not even pap, but for ungaro and the likes they dont have a strong accessory aspect, so they have to reconsider they house and where it does get its money from...

another the thing with dior n chanel ... THEY ARE THE ESTABLISHMENT now... givenchy has been thrown in the bin many years ago... and with yves depature... they are all that is truely left
    the newer ones like lacroix n gaultier... can't b deemed the establishment yet... they need the maturity that only years upon years in the industry can bring....
    they are more like the new gaurd....

jus my opinions on the subject :ninja:

14. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

ungaro and versace have long been irrelevant in the grand scheme of the couture. i think that versace atelier has brought some celebrity focus to the couture, but i don't think that celebrities are ever the market for the couture.

i think that over the next few years the couture will scale back and become more like it used to be. private, intimate shows for a select few clients. women who have the money and time and desire to look utterly unique and be surrounded in unmatched luxury.

if the large scale shows are cut back, i think we would actually find that the couture is a quite lucrative, albeit small, industry...right now i think that there are a couple of houses that try to outdo each other with the most outlandish and most costly creations instead of focusing on the perfect pieces for their clients. ;)

15. Poison

Poison New Member

I don't know what for Donatella did last couture show, it was so bad. Broadcasting at ftv "live" and now just ending??

16. oryry

oryry New Member

Amelie
    Where is that gorgeous couture ed taken from???
    Thanks

17. kimair

kimair frozen

From WWD today:

I think it's a good move for them. I never really liked the couture collections, and Donatella can keep making gowns for actresses, red carpet appearances, etc.

18. seditionary

seditionary New Member

:magic: and sedi said... let this b merged... and it was done
    :cry: wish i was a mod with magical powers

19. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

well...here it is...as i had suggested earlier...changing the show schedule and delivery dates...i predict that others will follow... ;) :innocent:

20. marc jacobs addict

marc jacobs addict New Member

ughhh. i love couture :unsure: