Cover Rumor Thread #19

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by 8eight, Mar 28, 2018.

1. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

What about Giselle Bündchen, Liu Wen, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid, Imaan Hammam, Adwoa Aboah, and Vittoria Ceretti? They've all been on the cover of US Vogue in the past few years. Ashley Graham's the only model I can think of who's been on the cover recently while pregnant and she was also on a cover in 2017 while not pregnant, so I personally don't see it as a pattern. Karlie's previous US Vogue cover appearances were when she was not married and not pregnant, so who cares if she *did* score another cover while pregnant?

2. TommysBaby

TommysBaby Active Member

^That list makes it seem like the models scored their own respective covers - but they didn't. Anna does a group model cover every once in a while, but usually she doesn't. And Kendall doesn't count because she's only scoring solo covers because she's a celebrity too. I cannot concede a point to Anna for that. Hailey was on the cover with Justin. Gigi was on the cover with Zayn. Gisele is the only model who has scored a solo cover - and she's a well-established name and she had a book to promote. So truly, when was the last time Anna gave a cover to a model who did not have anything to promote or any "announcement" (like pregnancy or marriage)? We've been long speculating a (solo) Gigi cover or a Grace, Adut, Bella etc. starer multi-model cover. But it seems like Anna is only giving a cover to someone who has something to promote. And it's been 3 years since the last multi-girl model cover.

PS: As far as I remember, one of Karlie's covers was a multi-girl model cover and the other was with Taylor Swift.

gunsnroses likes this.
  3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I do agree that especially with American Vogue, there must be an angle or selling point before they put models on the cover. Karlie's got more than enough for Van Meter to build a puff piece around, so I believe she should get one.
    I hold those model covers in 2001 so dear because it was the last time models were used to sell looks as opposed to stories or narratives. Except of course Natalia's cover in the late 00s, which was also arguably her best yet.

4. RanThe

RanThe Active Member

I think EVERYONE can agree that Karlie is overdue for a SOLO US Vogue cover! In my eyes she deserves it. From model to coding with Karlie and Project Runway and etc. She’s booked and busy and if this shoot happens to be the SOLO cover, I’ll buy TEN copies!

but also, that’s just me wishful thinking. Lol. Anna is...questionable about “model” covers every since that fantastic September 2014 cover.

5. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

I completely agree that Anna doesn’t do many solo model covers and I wish that wasn’t the case. However, your initial statement was that only pregnant or newlywed models are on the cover of US Vogue and that’s clearly not the case. Adding in addendums where celebrity models don’t count, models with something to promote don’t count, multi-model covers don’t count, and a models photographed alongside a celebrity/athlete don’t count just illustrates the lack of solo model covers, but it doesn’t back up the claim that Anna only features pregnant and newlywed models.

Benn98, tipi1355, aracic and 2 others like this.
  6. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

I did a quick check, and in the past 10 years the only models who got solo covers were Gisele (the book in 2018, and in 2010 after she gave birth to her first child, shortly after she got married), Kate (the wedding), Cara (a movie) and Kendall (celebrity status). The only solo model cover that wasn't a promo was Vodianova's in 2014.
    I must admit that despite all that, I'd love to see more models promoting whatever they want to promote on covers. It's been a long while since we last saw a real model grace the cover of Vogue and I think it's about time. Karlie's cover is long overdue and it's a bit sad that now she stands a chance only because she got married, but I guess that's better than nothing.

Hopefully this isn't another Gigi/September false lead and she actually gets her overdue solo tho

7. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the Vogue team would shoot the main ed in the street to be honest. Their covers are usually much more secretive than this.

caioherrero likes this.
  8. TZ001

TZ001 Well-Known Member

9. Blayne266

Blayne266 Well-Known Member

Exactly what my broken heart needed to see!!!!

10. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

Well we all know who it is, but that’s a painting right? I wonder if we’re having another Jennifer Lawrence situation with multiple takes on the cover star.

11. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

I knew she would be getting a cover soon, perfect timing right after the Grammy win.

The painting better not be the cover tho, that Vogue Italia nonsense was enough..

12. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Cannot remember the last time Vogue released a blatant preview for an upcoming cover!

I can’t say I’m too overwhelmed at the prospect of a Billie Eilish cover, though. I’ll reserve judgement until the actual cover release (fingers crossed it’s not that god awful illustration) because I have been thoroughly enjoying Vogue’s covers of late.

aracic and Benn98 like this.
  13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

God, neither am I! No inclination to read about some emo teen.

14. dmcoram

dmcoram Member

I know the March cover isn't always pop stars like it has been in the past, and not like it is Billie vs. Lizzo, but I would have loved to see Lizzo on this cover if it was going to a musician who had a huge past year. She's more glamour. I'll be interested to see how Billie is styled. Her over-sized everything isn't it for me.

15. MON

MON Well-Known Member

I like Billie, but is she that big to cover the March issue? I mean Vogue loves having pop stars on the March issue, but Billie?

And I swear to the heavens almighty, if that cover is a painting, I will lose it. LOSE IT. Paintings/Illustrations have no place on the cover of Vogue. We are no longer in the 1800-1920s.

Although I have a feeling that the illustration effect was done so as not to reveal the actual cover image. This could even be a mere editorial photo.

Benn98 likes this.
  16. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

100% sure Billie Eilish is march cover of Vogue US

17. TZ001

TZ001 Well-Known Member

Billie is a global superstar now. Five Grammys, broke the record, a Vogue cover, upcoming Oscar performance and tour. She’s phenomenal.

18. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

Of course Billie deserves the cover. She's receiving the same treatment that Adele received back in 2012.

19. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

Ahh well... she's a big star and she does seem quite lovely. And she's pretty!
    Just don't use the damn illustration as a cover.

20. MON

MON Well-Known Member

I disagree tbh. Adele got her cover only after releasing two albums. 19 (#4, 3,000,000 units sold in the US) and 21 (#1, 12,009,000 units sold in the US), and after having 3 consecutive #1 hits in the Billboard Hot 100

Billie is getting hers after her debut album (two if you include her EP which landed at #14), and 1 #1 single in the Hot 100.

Its not the same treatment tbh. Its fast tracked, the same way how some of the members felt about the Florence Pugh cover.

Benn98 and Armani like this.