Cover Rumor Thread #19

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by 8eight, Mar 28, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. russianelf

russianelf Active Member

I agree, he has also mentioned Fran in interviews, and look what we have now.

Blayne266 likes this.
  2. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Active Member

Well, I got Saoirse's month wrong, but my prediction that she, Gaga, and Foy would be getting covers came true. Still crossing my fingers for Viola and/or Margot!

gunsnroses and Benn98 like this.
  3. TZ001

TZ001 Member

Frebruary Issue is too late for awards season. I believe Gaga will have a cover soon.

4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Drumroll for the King! :clap:

I think especially with all the fashion backing and the fact that she's been absent on covers of late, Margot Robbie seems an obvious choice for a winter cover. But I'd really like to see Viola!

gunsnroses likes this.
  5. Blayne266

Blayne266 Member

I’m basing my theory on the cover with Nicole & Margot which was February and a cover dedicated to ‘Hollywood’

gunsnroses likes this.
  6. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Edward’s “AnNIvErSaRY iSSuE” should consist of a gray background alone with the text #NewVogue. That pretty much sums up his first year, and its all I could remember. I’d buy that.

Any more news on Emily Blunt’s Vogue cover? Is it pretty much confirmed? Can’t believe I’ll say this, but I wish it was shot by Annie Leibovitz. I can see Emily killing an Annie fairytale inspired ed. Cannot. Wait. Claire Foy’s cover is, and should be, treated as a void in US Vogue’s history. It’s the equivalent of Vogue Italia’s cover with Jaden Smith. Both should be forgotten.

Dua Lipa for Vogue UK I’m excited about. Well deserved imo, though I’m not liking her risqué schtick atm.

Adut is a MUST. Not just in Vogue UK. Everywhere.

Blayne266 likes this.
  7. octoberchild

octoberchild Member

I think you've inadvertently answered your own question. I believe the fact that we haven't seen more of Anna's British faves on other covers just points to the notion that other EICs actually have to worry about keeping their jobs and chose/choose cover subjects who they believe would sell accordingly or would resonate with their American readership, but Anna got/gets away with it doing whatever she wants, sluggish sales (such as the November cover, which is sure to bomb) not withstanding, just because.

I think a huge misperception many have on these forums is the idea that just because someone lands multiple Vogue covers, they must sell well. We know for a fact this is not the case (Blake Lively's first cover selling poorly but Anna giving her multiple covers after the fact). Outside of Kate W and maybe Keira since they actually starred in American blockbusters, I wouldn't automatically assume the British stars sold decently - I can't imagine too many people rushing out to get a Carey Mulligan cover.

But what Anna had (which I hope is rapidly decreasing) is the invincibility of editing the fashion bible and so she gave people what she wanted and readers were conditioned to accept it. Because if you have some aspect of yourself that identifies with being a Vogue 'reader' you bought it habitually/were a subscriber. But the public doesn't have that loyalty anymore, hence why the entire magazine industry is struggling in the social media age, including the invincible Vogue. And everyone knows this - subscribers buying subscriptions and getting 12 issues for $10 are not making up for the decline of people who would pay full price purchasing multiple issues at the newsstand - the math doesn't add up. But Anna is a relic regarding her cover stars who refuses to change and get with the program, hopefully to her impending detriment.

Regarding my original post and deserving American actresses who should've landed the November cover. Viola could've been a possibility with Widows coming out next month. But she didn't land a single cover this month (I thought she would've at least landed one of the Elle covers) so I doubt she'll land any solo January or February awards covers, especially since it doesn't look like she's in the top 5 in terms of possible Best Actress Oscar nominees, at least from what I've seen.

And Kerry is currently on Broadway, starring (and producing) a new (award winning) timely and important American play directed by a tony award winner. Sienna Miller in 2009 and Amanda Seyfried can land covers for their (underwhelming critically) plays (because they didn't land those covers for G.I. Joe and Ted 2, that's for sure). And on top of that, Kerry was featured in Vogue when she was on Broadway 9 years ago. But nothing this time around. Especially surprising since Anna is such this big champion of Broadway. Kerry's play may very well be both a critical and commercial success (on social media, many people are saying they thoroughly enjoyed it) and it looks like Anna's magazine may ignore it entirely (a 250-500 word write up in this month's issue or an article on Vogue.com does not count). It's quite bizarre.

And I guarantee either of the aforementioned would've made a much bigger splash for November than Anna's current offering.

Despite people no longer buying magazines, covers are still important (I'm referencing the article posted in the Business of Magazines thread with the GQ/Timothee Chalamet anecdote). It just really gets under my skin that deserving people are ignored for absolutely no good reason at all, even if I do think Vogue is increasingly becoming a raging dumpster fire, it still holds on to some degree of prestige (but hopefully not for much longer).

It's moved past the weird and 'highly suspect' stage for me, I'm now left wondering if there's a degree of mean-spiritedness regarding Anna's refusal to put these women on her covers. She has no valid excuse not to, none whatsoever.

Miss Dalloway and Benn98 like this.
  8. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

It seems UK Glamour have launched their first digital-only issue, dated October 2018, with Gwyneth Paltrow on the cover, and the schtick is that the cover star takes their own photo?

I saw it on Daily Mail, then on Glamour's own Instagram.

9. Blayne266

Blayne266 Member

Adut & Imann are on set today together (Adut Instagram stories) and it also looks like Pat McGrath might be in the back of one of the videos, I could be wrong though!

10. Blayne266

Blayne266 Member

Italian Vogue November’s is Freja Beha by Ethan James Green. I think it’s three covers. Giovanni Bianco posted some stuff on his insta story and you can see November’s cover & content sort of.

sixtdaily and tigerrouge like this.
  11. Blayne266

Blayne266 Member

For vogue Italia January it says that the ‘theme’ is ‘first time’ that sounds ominous

12. Blayne266

Blayne266 Member

E94CB262-11F1-4C43-8BF0-F18AE7F13C9B.jpeg This is the instagram story that I have mentioned, I’ve cropped it & zoomed in so the text is a little clearer, if anyone is a photoshop genius feel free to clear it up to help us all out!!

13. gunsnroses

gunsnroses Active Member

I really hope the “celebrity” for February is Gaga

14. Blayne266

Blayne266 Member

It looks like it says ‘Shalom Harlow TBC’ for December cover. I could be wrong

russianelf, gunsnroses and aracic like this.
  15. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Active Member

^^ I'm gonna cross my fingers.

Blayne266 likes this.
  16. Blayne266

Blayne266 Member

Me too! After her appearance at Versace and seeing how beautiful she still is

17. aracic

aracic Active Member

November's cover is Freja Beha as Blayne266 mentioned, by EJG on 20 pages + 3 covers, possible fold-outs? Styled by Clare Richardson. Then two untitled eds, one by Dario Catellani styled by George Cortina (10 pages) and the other one by Tim Walker, 10 pages styled by Zoe Bedeaux? Mark Seliger, 14 pages of ''Winter Jackets'' styled by Renata Correa. And a Prada Special by Michael Bailey Gates, 10 pages styled by Patti Wilson and I believe that may be Ruth Bell on the 4th picture? Not sure about that though.

December says ''Shalom Harlow TBD'', 20 pages + cover (seriously looking forward to this!!)

January's theme will be ''First time'', 20 pages + cover are yet to be discussed but I believe the photographer says Mikael Jansson, styled by George Cortina and they seem to have a scheduled shooting around Christmas so let's watch out for their insta stories and updates about who could be the potential cover star (it could also say November 24th I'm not sure, looks more like D than N). There's also that second editorial on 14 pgs, by Barbara Probst, styled by Jessica (Diehl?), titled ''Versace (something)''?

Benn98 and Blayne266 like this.
  18. MON

MON Well-Known Member

The prestige and exclusivity of Vogue Italia is indeed gone. You have people who work at the higher ups doing THAT for what?

Anyway, the previews don't excite me whatsoever. I see a lot of beige/orange. It looks like another pretentious indie cover.

Also, JANUARY 2019 is by Mikael Jansson

Blayne266 and aracic like this.
  19. aracic

aracic Active Member

So the most exciting feature in next 4 months of Vogue Italia seems to be Shalom Harlow's return to print. Let's hope that it's worthy of her legendary beauty.

20. AL92

AL92 Active Member

Looking forward to seeing Shalom's cover!