Cover Rumor Thread #19

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by 8eight, Mar 28, 2018.

1. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

I think if she wants to be on the cover of US Vogue, the biggest negotiation is her styling. She might randomly use Garren to get her hair done rather than her own, but she has been sticking with Arianne Phillips and B. Akelund for years. And when was the last time that a celebrity on the cover of US Vogue but using her own stylist? It’s more like a power game, either Anna or Madonna would like to give in. Unlike magazines, she has less control with ad campaigns, like Jacob K for her Versace shoot and Marie-Amelie Sauve for LV.

Otherwise, I’m not surprised she still gets banned by Anna after reading Grace’s memoirs about her cover shoot in 2005, you can tell it was a mess lol.

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/showpost.php?p=13818659&postcount=117

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Crikey, didn't know about this! :lol: And I really liked that cover and editorial (her last for US Vogue?.) Need to get Coddington's memoir.

3. TAB2

TAB2 New Member

Honestly, if i showed up for a cover shoot and was asked to climb into a giant martini glass complete with cherry - even for Grace Coddington/ Tim Walker - I would refuse. :wink: They're not models, they're celebrities with a presonal brand to protect. Not saying I wouldn't love to see the shot, just saying i'm not surprised it never happened

4. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

That’s why Grace doesn’t like to work with celebrities.

I was reading yesterday that the problem between Meisel and Anna started with this, he wasn’t on board to shoot all the celebrity and he choose what cover and celebrity to shoot and Anna got bored. That’s true?

5. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I can't remember if Dita Von Teese was doing that as part of her show back then, but I don't think I'd be too impressed about people coming into my house and asking me to re-enact the signature move of a lesser-known stripper, especially when I'm clearly in a phase where I like to pretend I'm "to the manor born".

It sounds like they misjudged the mood of a major celebrity who was always famous for having strong ideas about how to present herself, so I don't know what part of the shoot came as a surprise to them.

If you want a model, get a model. If you want a superstar, get Madonna, but don't expect her to jump through hoops when you know she wants to play the part of the lion tamer.

6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Then she shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place. But you're right, Madonna in a Martini glass would not have aligned with the posh housewife image she tried to perfect then. The current Madonna wouldn't mind though.

She was probably annoyed because the martini glass thing is one of Dita von Teese's (ahem, emphasis on 'Dita'!) famous burlesque acts, and she didn't want to look like a follower. :lol:

#106 Benn98, May 9, 2018
    Last edited by moderator Brandi06dance: May 9, 2018
  7. AD011620

AD011620 Well-Known Member

Madonna did some great work during the past 10 years... great editorial/cover for Interview by M&M (the one from 2010) and also was it W by Steven Klein that was excellent... But I would absolutely love her and Meisel work again... and I know this is more controversial but her Vogue Italia was great too...

She always seems to bring something that other celebrities are incapable of... Only Gaga has/had this something extra when it came to cover/editorial work...

8. caioherrero

You are right.
    And that things about the shoot should be discussed with the artist and the people of the magazine not the photographer.

9. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

This whole Madonna situation looks like a case of miscommunication to me. What they should have done was give Madonna a list of Walker's ideas, get feedback about how Madonna wishes to portray herself (because, as others have said - she is a brand and has an image to protect, she's not a model) and then work from there.

Concepts need to be discussed at length before expensive shoots - especially with a superstar with an image to protect, because of course you can't expect them to agree to everything. Plus, the mood of the editorial was quite sober and Madonna was in a quiet, manor phase back then - how on Earth does a cream cake hat (what the hell is a cream cake hat anyway) fit into that?

I get Grace's frustrations because she is used to working with outrageous ideas and models who don't have a say in the creative concept, but she couldn't have expected Madonna to go along with everything.

10. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

FINALLY. After 9? years? Marie Claire UK have got someone on the cover that fits the brand! Well done them!!!

Elisabeth Moss.

11. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Why, are they a Scientology magazine?

12. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Nothing written about her last shoot with them makes me dislike Madonna! She earned the right not to do certain photos, which is normal at any shoot involving a celebrity. Maybe Anna resented it, but i have heard far, far worse scenarios about other celebs, that keep getting used. Rihanna (for instance, there are others) is a complete and utter nightmare, mainly because of her entourage, and ridiculous demands, last minute cancellations.etc And in the end she keeps delivering the worst selling issues, yet they keep using her because of hype.

Also dealing with celebs is part of all of their job, an editor once said;
    "Big Smile, Short Memory" is the MO of all editors. There is no room for grudges in publishing. Well unless you are Wintour with all that power. Madonna would be perfect for their Sept cover, and let's not forget Wintour has ceased power to celebs like Beyonce, who used her people for the last shoot (i think it was mostly hair, and make-up, but still), and refused an interview, but worst of all got full photo approval! Compared to that, Madonna doesn't seem that unreasonable!

13. caioherrero

Where can I find the sales # of US vogue?

14. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

Hope to see Meisel doing the July cover of italian Vogue, for his 30 years of contribution. Crossing fingers right now :smile:

15. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Seeing Alek Wek on the cover of UK Vogue would blow my mind - first from seeing such a previously impossible thing happen, and then from pure happiness at the sight of that smile.

16. mepps

mepps Well-Known Member

It was the best Vogue Italia cover of 2017, and tbh, the best one since Franca died. Some people here will go their graves denying it tho.:lol:

17. 333101

333101 Well-Known Member

Or perhaps other people simply have different opinions and preferences. I hated that cover personally.

18. ivano

ivano Well-Known Member

The best one was Grace Elizabeth by Meisel, followed by Sara Grace by Mert & Marcus, and Bella by Inez & Vinoodh.

19. caioherrero

I really want to see Meghan on the cover of American Vogue

20. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

According to his Instagram, Edward Enninful is doing a cover shoot in London today. Nick Knight also made a comment on his IG account that he was heading to a "very special Vogue shoot". Guess it was, after all, only a matter of time before Nick Knight started photographing the covers of British Vogue again!