Critical Theory and Fashion

aitch bee

Reaction score
Im currently studying for an MA in Critcal Theory having already done a BA in Humanites and Social Studies. Im hoping to do a PhD after my MA and am thinking about doing it in relation to fashion (a current idea is an application of various elements of Derrida's work to the notion of fashion and the way the industry works) and would appreciate any information about how to go about it and where would be best to try to study.

As far as I am aware critical theory is a component of fashion/design related degrees so there would be some potential for me to find employment after my PhD, but would I be narrowing my field too much? Also, would I need to study for my PhD at a University with strong design links or an Art College in order to be more likely to get a job in the future?

I live in Manchester, UK and ive got 2.5 years left to do my MA, so ive got plenty of time to work out a plan of action, I just need to know if it will be a possibility, because I need to start focusing my essays on fashion now.

Anyway, *fingers crossed* at least one person here has experience of this, any information at all will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkitas46
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->