"Crying men" by Sam Taylor-Wood

moussemaker

Reaction score
"Hollywood hunks including Jude Law, Robert Downey, Jr. and Laurence Fishburne amazed artist Sam Taylor-Wood with their heart-felt sobs for her bizarre new exhibition, Crying Men. The photographer asked the actors to produce real tears for a series of images which she hopes capture the vulnerable sides of the movie stars. She is particularly proud of pictures of the Cold Mountain hunk weeping in a foetal position and a portrait of Reservoir Dogs star Michael Madsen betraying his hard-man image by crying hysterically. Taylor-Wood explains, "Some of the men cried before I even finished loading the camera, but others found it really difficult. People can decide for themselves which they think are the authentic tears and which they think are fake. It's about the idea of taking these big, masculine men and showing a different side." The exhibition opens tomorrow at London's White Cube gallery."

http://www.whitecube.com/html/prog/wc/current/cur_frset.html

Jude Law
CMjude.jpg

Sean Penn
CMseanpenn.jpg

Laurence Fishburne
CMlaurence.jpg

Benicio del Torro
CMbenicio.jpg

Forest Whitaker
CMforestwhitaker.jpg

Gabriel Byrne
CMgrabriel.jpg

Hayden Christiansen
CMhayden.jpg

Kris Kristofferson
CMkristofferson.jpg

they are all very powerful photos moussemaker thanks

very beautiful and moving (the jude law one is particularly striking), though I can't help but feel as though I'm intruding on a very private moment... :ninja:

thanks for posting, moussemaker

@ admin: could you please fix the headline? I meant to write "Crying men" by Sam Taylor-Wood

TIA!

I cant't help but thinking how they burst into laughter after the photo session :innocent:

I must admit that the photos are great, though...

where have i seen these?...anyway...am i the only one who thinks it odd that this chick shows up at an actor's house with an appointment and a camera...and then the actor proceeds to start bawling while she snaps away...?

doesn't it seem at all disinegeuous to anyone else but me...slightly forced and phony...

this doesn't move me in the slightest...these are men who are highly paid to pretend to feel...how is this in any way authentic?...i actually find it a bit annoying...
how about some real men with some real tears???...

c'mon now... :rolleyes: :innocent:

whatever...i guess that i'm just too aware of what it's like to be on set to be fooled by anything so contrived... :lol: ^_^

I wouldn't say I'm moved by it. Like you say soft, they're actors, it's their job, and it's a bit worrying that some of them could barely even do it. But male film characters tend not to cry, and even though half of these only seem a bit sad, and a bit tearless, I like the idea... even if it does suggest that a man crying is so rare and significant it should be considered art :innocent: :ninja:

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 29 2004, 10:09 AM
where have i seen these?...anyway...am i the only one who thinks it odd that this chick shows up at an actor's house with an appointment and a camera...and then the actor proceeds to start bawling while she snaps away...?

doesn't it seem at all disinegeuous to anyone else but me...slightly forced and phony...

this doesn't move me in the slightest...these are men who are highly paid to pretend to feel...how is this in any way authentic?...i actually find it a bit annoying...
how about some real men with some real tears???...

c'mon now... :rolleyes: :innocent:
[snapback]410292[/snapback]​

Bravo SG. :clap: I agree with you completely. I personally have never really understood the appeal of Sam Taylor Wood anyway....some of the pretentious garbage that passes for art these days :innocent:

I find most of these a bit awkward, somehow I don't think she did as great as a job at capturing what I think she was aiming for ...

However, even though I don't really like Hayden Christensen that much ... in that picture he looks like he needs a good long hug .... preferably one from me :P

who wants to see people fake crying? its lame...it lacks any soul and depth...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->