Cult Product Commentary

Shiseido eyelash curler - This didn't work too well for me, it made a small dent in my lashes but that's all.

Dior Show Mascara - After using it on my lashes, it was a very beautiful effect. Very black and dramatic. But later the mascara started to smudge very easily, and if you have contacts the mascara will be very irratating to the eyes.

Essie Nailpolishes in general -
This really did not work out well for me. Maybe I got a bad batch but the nailpolish chipped and streaked on my nails.

Rosebud salve
- It moisturized my lips so well, and the smell and taste was very nice. It also gives your lips just a little shine and the tin lasts a long time.

I bought a few things on a recent duty free binge so I thought I would comment:

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream
Wow. It smells godawful. My boyfriend even commented, and I was only wearing the tiniest dab on my lips. I like the heavy texture and it is certainly moisturizing...But I don't think I would repurchase.

Jurlique Rosewater Spray
Ahh its lovely. So refreshing. I don't like the new glass packaging though. Whilst it looks more like a premium product now, its not good for the handbag.

Philosophy
Hope in a Jar
Nice. Love the velvety texture.

Benefit Dandelion
I'm not sure if this quite makes it into the cult category, but it should. Its the greatest blush for pale skin, with no shimmer for extra bonus points.

What about cult sunscreens? Any suggestions?

Don't know of a specific one, but Shiseido has a good reputation for sunscreen. In general, Japanese brands are noted for their excellent sunscreens, probably because the Japanese revere pale skin.

There was also a lot of hype a few years back surrounding the ingredient Mexoryl; for a while, only European sunscreens contained it because it wasn't FDA-approved yet. Now I think you can find it in some American brands as well, and it's still considered good stuff.

Burts Bee lip chap!! Amazing..it doubles as a pale lipstick for me when i put lots on!

But mayballine great lash mascara sucks!! Worst mascara ever!! I do not understand what people find it it!

What about cult sunscreens? Any suggestions?

A lot of dermatologists recommend laroche posay anthelios sx since it's the only one fda approved to protect against both uva and uvb. I use it and I'm not sure if it's better than other sunscreens I've tried, they all seem the same to be honest, but I trust theres a difference.

thanks, that sounds interesting but sadly I don't think you can get it in Australia :(

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream
Wow. It smells godawful. My boyfriend even commented, and I was only wearing the tiniest dab on my lips. I like the heavy texture and it is certainly moisturizing...But I don't think I would repurchase.

I use this for absolutley everything,I cant live without it. I lent some to some people the other day to combat dry skin and they all commented on the awful smell,yet I quite like it. Maybe I'm just used to it but I think it's rather pleasent ^_^

But mayballine great lash mascara sucks!! Worst mascara ever!! I do not understand what people find it it!

I agree. Worst ever!!!
Diorshow is OK. There are better mascaras out there.
also, Chanel nail polishes chip soooo fast. I like the colors though, but prefer OPI

I agree. Worst ever!!!

i really think that the Great Lash hype is a conspiracy perpetrated by makeup artists and beauty editors. i can't explain it any other way. :lol:

I agree. Worst ever!!!
Diorshow is OK. There are better mascaras out there.
also, Chanel nail polishes chip soooo fast. I like the colors though, but prefer OPI
Ugh, agreed. There is just nothing great about Great Lash. How about Not-So Great Lash?

Diorshow is good, I like it, but there are definitely way better out there-the best mascara I have used is from VS, and it's half the price.

And I haven't tried Chanel, but if it chips fast I'll stick with OPI, which is way cheaper anyways AND I can get deals on it at ULTA (many times B2G1 free).

Great Lash isn't hyped for being a miracle mascara. It's a cult product among makeup artists because it is cheap and thus easy to replace or buy in stock; has a distinct green/pink packaging that is easy to locate among hoards of products; and has a very basic, "everyman" formula and brush.

We're going through a mega-lashes phase, full of volume, length, curl, and intense pigment, so women are disappointed when they find Great Lash just darkens the lashes, nothing more, nothing less.

Maybelline Great Lash - it was just a mess

MAC Lipglass - i stopped using after i got a few bad batches because it was ridiculously sticky but now that im back to using it its not so bad, maybe they improved the formula?

Burt's Bee - not the worst ive tried but doesnt really work for me, too waxy but lip balms are such an individual thing. i dont need much moisture but this, like a lot of balms just made my okay lips drier

I love Maybelline Great Lash. It doesn't clutter and isn't dry like all the other (expensive) mascaras I have used. I always go back to Maybelline. You can put mascara evenly on your lashes without a big mess. However, I do think it's because I have asian lashes that I prefer this type of mascara. It sorta needs precision..

I agree with GasolineRainbow r.e Great Lash. On the few times that I have bought it I've been pleased with what it's done. It doesn't claim to do miracles,it's just cheap and cheerful

Has anyone here ever used Lancome Juicy Tubes? They were raved about for such a long time but I never bought one

Honestly, Lancome Juicy Tubes aren't that great. I much prefer the VS Beauty Rush glosses, which are WAY cheaper-$4 each when you get 5 or more-and there is a good selection of colours.

As for MAC lipglass, I heard they are trying to improve the formula a bit.

Agree, Juice Tubes are completely overhyped (although not as much as they used to be). They smell really nice, but they're too sticky and don't have enough color payoff.

I love Great Lash Waterproof :P It works well for a cheapo mascara. Holds the curl, doesn't clump.

There are many cult products besides the ones you have already named, as Kevin Aucoyn foundations, and revlon long lasting one. Also MAC pigments, Dior red lipstick, Guerlain Terracota etc.

I have never spent that much on make up because I have always read for opinions first and then tried before buying, and although I havent tried all cult products I have to say some of them deserve the honor while other ones not.

I dont wear foundation so i really dont have a favourite, but i think that with this product all depend on the type of skin.
For Terracota my favourite is the Laguna from Nars, so it is the orgasm for blush, and although someone said deep throat is less goldie i have to say it is too pink for pale skins.
I also love the Benetint because its the most natural blush i have used.
For mascaras and eyeliners I'm not that picky, I use sephora eyeliners and mostly any mascara.
Another product i love and nobody have mentioned is the Copacabana from Nars, it deserves very honor as well.
For powder i like Laura Mercier.

I once tried Great Lash about 7 years ago and didn't like it... never used it since then.

here one of the cult products is YSL effect faux cils mascara, but I'm not really a fan of it, it smells so lovely though! It doesn't make my lashes look faux at all, and I like some volume which it doesn't give
my favorite mascara is Diorshow Blackout

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->