David LaChapelle disses the Simpson sisters

Jadee

Reaction score
What better Fashion Week kickoff than a nasty catfight between Jessica and Ashlee Simpson and legendary photographer David LaChapelle?

The 37-year-old LaChapelle spewed flames of hatred for the sisters Simpson at Tuesday night's benefit for the Brazilian charity Voice of the Streets at Churrascaria Plataforma Tribeca.

"They're everything that's wrong with music," LaChapelle seethed to Lowdown. "Out of everything combined, they're everything wrong with culture, and everything wrong with art, and what we think of as art and musical culture - in one family!"

LaChapelle, who not only shoots covers for Vanity Fair and Italian Vogue and makes music videos but also directed the critically acclaimed documentary "Rize," was just getting warmed up.

"They're nothing. They have nothing. They hold no interest whatsoever for anybody," he sniffed. "They're reality-red-carpet, lip-synching television stars. I don't know what they are beyond that. I don't think they offer anything."

So what did these innocent young ladies ever to do to him?

According to a source in the Simpson camp, LaChapelle is bitter that Jessica and Ashlee recently refused to pose for him for a Rolling Stone cover.

"When you do a cover with your sister, you both want to look like who you are," says the source. "David doesn't have that skill. The girls were looking for a photographer who wasn't a one-trick pony. He's good at what he does, but that's it."

LaChapelle's longtime producer, Fred Torres, yesterday fired back: "We've worked with everyone from Madonna to Janet Jackson, and have never had someone so on-again, off-again as the Simpsons. In the 10 years I've worked with David, I've never known anyone to be so difficult as they were."

LaChapelle was too busy packing for the Paris premiere of "Rize" to get on the phone, but he couldn't resist taking a final swipe in a statement that he issued through Torres.

"I was only doing it because of my relationship with Rolling Stone," he said. "We were going to try and make the Simpsons look cool. I realize now that is an impossible task."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/344314p-293981c.html

well talk about sour grapes in kilogrammes! why can't celebrities ever shut up? If they are nothing and have nothing could he explain their success? Or do their fans also have nothing in their heads?

Well I think it's a bit ironic that he says they are everything wrong with music and culture when he's quite close to the hilton sisters who have barely gone through the effort of pretending they actually do something.

However the response from the simpson camp that he's a one trick pony and couldn't show the sisters as individuals or whatever, is just as bad.

Well a lot of people would agree with him....

But I think it's petty to diss someone publicly, especially in showbiz.

He comes off sounding like a bit of a hypocrite: he thinks they have no substance, but he was going to be part of that marketing machine that he believes is eveything wrong with art and music in trying "to make the simpsons look cool"

flick said:
He comes off sounding like a bit of a hypocrite: he thinks they have no substance, but he was going to be part of that marketing machine that he believes is eveything wrong with art and music in trying "to make the simpsons look cool"
exactly :rolleyes: He should be critiquing the marketing machine system rather than the 'stars' it tries to promote. That is what is wrong with music today: the system of using 'Image' to sell music, rather than promoting the artistic value of the music itself.

Belowen said:
Well a lot of people would agree with him....

But I think it's petty to diss someone publicly, especially in showbiz.

Exactly.
And if he really believes in what he said he should put his money where his mouth is and stop being an hypocrite.

Jadee said:
"They're everything that's wrong with music," LaChapelle seethed to Lowdown. "Out of everything combined, they're everything wrong with culture, and everything wrong with art, and what we think of as art and musical culture - in one family!"

I agree. So much.

Meg said:
Well I think it's a bit ironic that he says they are everything wrong with music and culture when he's quite close to the hilton sisters who have barely gone through the effort of pretending they actually do something.

However the response from the simpson camp that he's a one trick pony and couldn't show the sisters as individuals or whatever, is just as bad.

Atleast the Hilton sisters never pretended that they had a talent for anything to begin with. I think that's what he means, the Simpsons are in a business where you SHOULD be talented to succeed. I'm not saying Jessica doesnt have a voice, but she's not exactly an original

first of all, love your avatar.

second of all, i don't think either of the simpsons proclaimed they were the best out there, i think they do each have a modicum of talent.

I agree with whoever suggested it's hypocritical when he does a lot of things that are hype but no substance and promotes them

:flower: Thank you.

I'm not saying they are not talented, I just think it's sad the way they have become famous. It just shows how little it takes to be "someone" in a business where you really should have something original and great to make it

Im sure his comments will make a few people quite happy.

not that I'm a huge fan of the simpson sisters but I think there are definately others who have done much more than what they have done so....

Meg, I was thinking the exact same thing...that he was talking about the Hilton sisters...at first. I guess I just glossed over the word "Simpson" and inserted "HIlton" in my brain because that is what I basically think of them!

Meg said:
That was EXACTLY what I was thinking...

Is he kidding with this? Maybe if he did something other then parade around with Pamela Anderson, and photograph every celeb possible in some cheesy and redicuous tableux or another his statement would hold some water...but he does, so it doesn't.

I believe his comments to have been unncessary.

I agree with him but then La Chappelle himself encapsulates everything wrong with modern photography. He is gimicky and nothing more. He is not one to talk about style over substance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghesquiere98
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->