David Lynch's Mulholland Drive

Discussion in 'the Entertainment Spot' started by ignitioned32, May 16, 2004.

View Users: View Users
  1. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

NOTE: If any of you haven't seen the film and would not want to be spoiled of the story, ending, etc. do not continue reading any further.

Okay I just saw the film and am quite lost. I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I think I got the part of the 'switching', which I think helped explain alot of things. Like why Laura Ellena Harring's character got hit and how Camilla Rhodes got the part. But the rest I don't get. :( I know Lynch is not like Hitchcock who makes clean, linear mysteries, but I bet there is some logical conclusion out there. I still loved it though. :heart:
    So if anyone has anything to share, please do. :flower:

2. Amélie

Amélie New Member

i feel this is a film which compares our dreams with our realities...A wonderful cast who have taken up an amazing challenge...Lynch delivers the quirk once again and makes a statement...We are what we make our lives...but then again, we'll never really know what he's conveying.

Us from the film society (Igni, AhhGucci and I) would love to hear what otehrs thinks about this film...

3. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

I love David Lynch, i've only seen 3 movies from him: Blue Velvet, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive and this last one has taken me a lot of time to figure it all out, i think i should watch the movie for a second time since all my conclusions come in an over-simplistic way and according to my friends, it has a deep meaning :unsure: .

i definitely agree with Amelie about the movie being a mix of dreams and reality and also, i think it's a mix of the way you want things to be and the way things really are. ....if that makes any sense :p .

i should definitely give it a second go, but at the moment, all i can say is that all the actor's performances are just phenomenal, very personal and deep and that the movie itself may be quite disturbing but it's amazing at some point.

4. smashinfashion

smashinfashion New Member

everyone has a theory on mulholland drive, but nobody seems to know what was actually going through david lynchs head. :wacko:

5. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow El Capitán

its been a long time since i've seen this movie, but from what i remember, it's one big tag game

sort of like the wizard of oz...the fictional characters of the "dream" ar played by the people from reality, except in Mulholland Dr, unlike the wizard of oz, the lead character also changes roles

the film starts off with the deepest "dream", then pandoras box is opened and the truth (or reality) begins to unfold

I don't remember details from the movie, because it has been so long since i've seen it, but i'm sure you'll understand it more if you watch it again keeping what i just said in mind

6. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

I love David Lynch he is one of my most favorites :heart:

any ways its veyr confusing indeed, but it is really abotut he feeling, tis a dreaming.

but thsi may help

7. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Thanks Space. :flower: Now it makes more sense.

I read this review by Roger Ebert and Space you're right it is about feelings/emotions and dreaming.

Overall it's really a great film. :heart:

8. MulletProof

thanks!!!! :woot:
    that definitely helps A LOT :flower:

9. ChixVolta

ChixVolta New Member

David Lynch is such a great storyteller i love the way he can make on scene seem ordinary and then turn it on it's ear and make it almost horrifying(sp). like the Man behind the dumpster at winkes or the Man of mystery in Lost Highway who never blinks. both those characters made it hard for me to sleep that night

10. MulletProof

yeah, he's a genius, he manages disturbing scenes at its best.

11. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

The whole movie in chronological order according to Evil Barbie 90:

Makes sense.