Decorated Hems F/W 06.07

ChrissyM

girl who fell to earth
Reaction score
from style.com

Border Patrol
Trimmed Hems Are Hot on the Runways

June 1, 2006 – Talk about edgy. Fall found designers decorating hems on everything from floaty trapeze frocks to graphic bubble skirts. At Anna Sui, Burberry Prorsum, and J. Mendel, fur was the trim of choice. "Mink gives this dress a Russian, Doctor Zhivago effect," said Sui. In contrast, Mendel's mink-edged velvet referenced the early sixties. Another popular treatment was bands of contrasting color, seen at Vena Cava and DKNY. Not one to be hemmed in by convention, meanwhile, Brazilian import Alexandre Herchcovitch attached little metal flowers to the edge of a skirt. Though they made a bell-like music, the flowers weren't purely decorative or sonorous. "Adding weight to the hems," Herchcovitch explained, "changes completely the way the fabric moves."

–Laird Borrelli

from style.com
Fall 06 shows

as seen at: Anna Sui :heart:, J. Mendel, Michael Kors, Missoni, Burberry Prorsum

Attachments

• 01m.jpg
    01m.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 02m.jpg
    02m.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 03m.jpg
    03m.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 04m.jpg
    04m.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 05m.jpg
    05m.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
style.com

Oscar de la Renta, Chloe, Ralph Lauren, Chado Ralph Rucci, Marc Jacobs, Mary Ping

06m.jpg
07m.jpg

08m.jpg
09m.jpg

10m.jpg
11m.jpg

style.com

Louis Vuitton, Peter Som, Lela Rose, Etro, Sari Gueron, Derercuny, Vena Cava, DKNY, Alexandre Herchcovitch

12m.jpg
13m.jpg

14m.jpg
15m.jpg

16m.jpg
17m.jpg

18m.jpg
19m.jpg

20m.jpg

So, it's already obvious that dresses are going to be a big deal this season but it also seems that a trend in those dresses and in other things like coats etc. is how the edges and hemlines are trimmed.... whether they be with fur on hems and coat sleeves or jewels or whatever... seems like a nice way to add a little pizazz to what might otherwise be an ordinary piece of clothing

Cool! I particularly like 15m.jpg (the 4th picture from post #4), but I thought that 14m.jpg (the 3rd pic from post #4) was ghastly horrid!

I like the change of mode that this possbile trend may offer. It will be interesting to see if it takes off.

I think the Peter Som and Lela Rose ones are pretty :heart:

I'm not a big fan of the fur hems, but the ones on dresses look lovely.

I really like the different hem decorations...
even if it's something as simple as a change in color...
i think it adds a lot to the dress... like the vena cava piece in post #4 (brown dress/red trim) notice the jeweled detail trim on the sleeves as well :heart:

it seems rather 'AC Moore' just add it on yourself kind of thing. i'm not really diggin' it.

maybe thin, solid ones but the print and fur is a little much.

Mmmmm...a yummy way for designers to "accessorize" their work before the stylists get their hands on the collections.

I think many of these pieces stand on their own in editorial spreads.

Stylebites said:
Mmmmm...a yummy way for designers to "accessorize" their work before the stylists get their hands on the collections.

I think many of these pieces stand on their own in editorial spreads.

I think that's a really great way to put it! Like built in accessories... these outfits are decorated enough so that they don't need much more, if any, extra adornments... ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->