Dennis Basso S/S 10 New York

Crying Diamonds

Geometric Discharge
Reaction score
NEW YORK, September 15, 2009

By Alison Baenen

"I'm an evening kind of guy," Dennis Basso declared backstage before his show Tuesday afternoon. "Cocktail is really my niche."

Indeed it is. A furrier whose fine eye for detailing has won him a loyal uptown following—the front row read like a page from the Social Register—Basso focused on what he does best, namely, occasion gowns and the furs you wear with them. Wisely, he is interested in dressing mothers and daughters, so there were both stand-alone statement dresses for the former (like a python-bustier chiffon gown with a full, liquid-bronze chiffon skirt) as well as unadorned silk jersey slipdresses and tanks to be dressed up or down (say, with a mink-and-organza cover-up) by the latter. A romantic hint of the Degas corps de ballet could be seen in the bubble skirts and molded tops that dominated the silhouettes; in fact, the first look, a short chiffon dress that was practically a tutu, was pure fantasy (what young girl doesn't dream of dancing the Sugar-Plum Fairy?). Styling these dresses with Alexis Bittar knuckle-dusters and fishnet thigh-highs that could be seen peeking out from under the shorter hems, Basso is clearly making a play this season for the younger half of his charity-circuit demographic.

00010m.jpg
00020m.jpg

00030m.jpg
00040m.jpg

00050m.jpg
00060m.jpg

style.com

I really love some of the pieces in this collection.. Especially the silver dress and the other pieces with the transparent materials that create a sort of aura.
Though I don't like the florals and I hate how he used the last Chanel collection's finger gloves... that just completely ruined it.

Might have guessed he would never have laid off the fur just for a little old thing called summer.

And he got a standing ovation! Better than last season - a half-standing ovation by one.
Lovely collection.

Loving it!
It's not really nothing new, but it's elegant and chic.

i love it, it's just pretty dresses, which all girls love, especially the upper east-siders.

i love a spring fur, but other than that, i'm not moved.

gotta say, the majority of these dresses are RIGHT up my alley...

I love this collection! WOnderful! Bravo!

Beautiful collection, whimsical, wearable dresses. What more can we ask for?

I've never heard of this guy but this was an adorable collection!

All very lovely, but they seem to inevitably make me think of delicate couture barbie-doll clothes.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->