Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Discussion in 'In the News...' started by Thread Manager, Jun 22, 2018.

1. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

I'm 99.9% sure they meant Erin Wasson, not Erin O'Connor, the latter never having even walked a Wang show to my knowledge. That mistake is a bit laughable to me, and I suppose the reason why they asked her for comment is because she was one of his earliest collaborators, styling and walking his shows when he first began.

mikel, tapenerd and dsamg like this.
  2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Taylor for me is part of the Kendall, Gigi, Bella Instamodel clan, can't say I have much respect for her or her modelling. The got ahead because of family and following.

3. Serend1pity

Serend1pity Well-Known Member

This seems very random which Taylor do you mean - surely not Hill?

4. SLFC

SLFC Well-Known Member

You know at this point I dont know whether any of this is true, just by the insane amount of people looking for a witch hunt in this thread and everywhere else. It seems like people are enjoying this, or hoping for the next person to take down. This along with that this breaking out of freaking tiktok of all places, and then to the stupid gossip rags that are Diet Prada and sh*t Model Management.

I'm so disillusioned at this point, I've grown apathetic. Damage is done regardless.

Hopefully somebody does some concise digging and maybe I'll consider these accusations.

#844 SLFC, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  5. Karl Boucher

Karl Boucher Active Member

Doutzen is still defending her conspiracy theories on instagram stories

modela and dsamg like this.
  6. Armani

Armani Tech Support

It's important to note how difficult it is to substantially prove sexual assault allegations; there are over 10 made against Wang at this point, and there is extreme power in numbers, as well as in similarities from story to story. Just because a victim comes forward on Instagram or TikTok rather than The New York Times doesn't make it any less credible - in fact, it's through these social media platforms that stories are able to reach most people nowadays; SMM released a short statement today on Twitter letting those know all allegations directed to the account are not anonymous on the account's end, and a few have come from actively working "top models" in the industry. Rarely ever is there photographic or videographic proof of sexual assault to back claims, as victims don't quite have the ability to pull a camera out while assaulted, and security cameras rarely are found in bedrooms or bathrooms on a property. It's due to this very fact that many victims don't receive adequate justice in court, which makes it even more difficult for those who have encountered these disturbing situations to speak out in the first place.

As for the cancel culture mentality, I can't say much to defend that, as I myself am strongly against smear campaigns in a general sense - however, if allegations made do reach criminal territory, as we've seen here, it's only right to de-platform those who have abused their power, as a means of stopping them from continuing to do so within the industry/industries they work in.

7. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

That makes sense!

dsamg likes this.
  8. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

I saw a Dutch professor on Twitter noting her participation in conspiracy theories ... he said it's good to have an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out! True dat.

Nomar, Lax89, Benn98 and 2 others like this.
  9. lookieloo

lookieloo Member

This ain't it babe. Now I understand that we all have strong opinions on @shitmodelmanagement and @dietprada, but people gossip and push agendas just as much on here. Forget the people who are enjoying it for the wrong reasons and focus on the real issues at hand.

Benn98, dsamg and tapenerd like this.
  10. SLFC

SLFC Well-Known Member

I mean yeah and as I said, as things develop I might change my mind and it seems some of the accusers are quite serious since they now have a lawyer representing them.

Armani, dsamg, Benn98 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

12. fashionista-ta

^ Could someone who has access summarize? :flower:

13. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Judging by the attorney representing them, I'm not sure on how this will go forward. They can sue him and he can countersue. In a way, he has lost in the court of public opinion and today, that's the only thing that matters. The moment it became a topic, it was already settle in people's mind. Nobody has to prove anything because a lot of people already have assumptions about the industry, about models, about gay men and this story will only settle things in their minds.

The real difference between this affair or the Testino one is the age difference and the environment that did not played in Testino's favor.

People are asking why nobody's talking? Because people are uncomfortable talking about an issue that involves gay men and parties and the whole aura of hedonism around the whole thing. This affair is maybe easier for millennials to get into because they have a very Black & White vision around this kind of things but for a lot of people it's very difficult to judge.
    The power dynamic here is not the same. People can see Alexander Wang for what he is: a millionaire, a rich man who can use his power. But he is not just that. He is a gay man, a rather feminine gay man whose accusations did not happened at his work place or environment where he can use his powerful position.

A lot of people will not comment on this in the entertainment or fashion industry because it's like opening the pandora box. For example, a lot of celebrities are partying or close with Glam Squad or stylist. And they are in majority gay and it's hard to evaluate the nature of relationships in parties and power dynamic when you are straight woman for example. And it also means that your stylist or make-up artist can find himself in the same problems as Wang is today.

And I even don't worry about Wang being canceled because tbh, Cancel culture is only a justification for people who did not like you to really not have to deal with you again. It was simple for me to stop buying Dolce & Gabbana because I stopped buying their clothes a longtime ago. The controversies around them those last few years only made it easier for me to not think about them anymore.

#853 Lola701, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    SophiaVB, Mathewthew, modela and 7 others like this.
  14. THD96

THD96 Well-Known Member

It's the hypocrisy from his squad that make me mad because they are the first one to scream diversity, equality, #metoo, #timesup, etc. But decided to stay offline about this.

I don't think it's different because he's gay. It was the same for Harvey Weinstein, it started with Rose McGowan but nobody believed it because he so powerful at the time so it's cost her her own career. But then the second, third actresses decided to came forward that when all the things he have ever done brought to light. If they can trusted all those actresses they can trust models too. The model that I see supported the accusations is Karen Elson. Very brave if you tell me, a model against a top brand.

I hate cancel culture when it's come to silly things like hairstyles or wear clothes from different cultures. But this is serious harmful, so if this make the fashion and modeling industry (which just ban underaged models) one less predator than it's a changing sign for the better.

JohannesL, tapenerd, Benn98 and 4 others like this.
  15. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

@Lola701’s point about fashion’s hedonist culture may very well be the biggest reason why so many remain silent because they’re afraid that all of a sudden, people would expose the scene in those parties which then results in some bigger names than Wang getting dragged by the public opinion as well.

But in my opinion, he doesn’t hold that much significant power as someone like Weinstein did though. Adding to the fact that his brand or name in the bigger picture has hardly been sought-after even in the NY scene ever since he left Balenciaga.

With regards to accounts like Diet Prada or Sht Model Management breaking the story in the first place, I do understand why their report can be easily denied because of their status as a gossip, social media account. But it’s a double-edged sword as well to not pay attention to them because for a lot of his victims, their voices may be only heard by these accounts instead of big publications like The New York Times. All things taken into account, investigation needs to happen soon because so many have come forward.

modela, entten, Lola701 and 1 other person like this.
  16. fashionista-ta

I don't think the timing or physical location matters. Your power hovers over you regardless of where you are or whether it's after hours or not. I reported a case like this myself where the problem happened after hours and off work premises.

It was a little hard for me to stop buying D&G :lol: It was a good source for statement pieces sort of made for my body type.

modela, Benn98 and Lola701 like this.
  17. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

But celebrities are hypocrites. They are public personas. Their job at it core is either to sing, act, walk or pose. Our celebrity-obsessed society suddenly asked them to be more than what they are.
    Our society ask them to be spokesperson for very deep subjects they can’t process or aren’t equipped to speak about. So yes, they uses those key marketing words that in the end does not mean anything because life is unfair and those key words sometimes does not work in real life situations...

Weinstein is not necessary the same. It’s not the same type of power, twisted scheme, manipulations, bribes and stuff. Weinstein all his career tried to hide it. I don’t think that Wang necessary believed that what he did was wrong.
    And I think being gay has an impact on the way people see it. People sexualize gay men in general so they have this kind of « never mind » attitude about it. And it’s the fashion industry and it comes with it seas of preconceived ideas.
    For some people, models are glorified prostitutes anyway...

But as always, I have one question. What’s the end goal here?
    For Weinstein, it was clear: to have him behind bars. It was the same for Cosby or Eipstein and it’s the case for anybody involved in trafficking/rapes accusations.

I guess there’s some sort of degree in sexual misconducts so that’s why the law is not necessary severe and that’s how the power of the court of public opinion strikes. Testino, Demarchelier and Weber cannot work.

If Wang is clever, his after parties will be a thing of a past and except for some money, I wonder what the accusers can expect. Do they want a total boycott of the brand? That Wang step down of his role as a creative director of his brand?
    I think now that they have an attorney, the kind of reparation they expect will be revealed.

GivenchyAddict, THD96 and GERGIN like this.
  18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you're asking a trick question, Lola? Not trying to start a row. LOL. Why do you want to know what the end goal is? Are you waiting for the answer only to pick holes in it? It's not for you or me to ask the victims 'well, what do you want to have happened to Wang?'. That should be left to the court and even then punishment should be meted out in accordance with the crime.

And if you meant to aim the question at the greater public, well, Wang is a public figure. Pretty much the face of his brand thanks to a star designer culture that has been actively encouraged by the industry since Tom Ford. The very star designer culture that pretty much fuels millennial spending habits, something that Wang enjoyed for years. Consumers will have to decide if they want to continue supporting the brand because that ultimately means they support his values. If they're happy to continue buying, ok. Freedom of choice. And if not, also ok.

JohannesL, modela and tapenerd like this.
  19. fashionista-ta

^ Not a tough decision for me as I only ever bought one T from him years ago, and the quality was terrible, especially considering the pricetag! It is still knocking around my loungewear 'collection.'

tapenerd likes this.
  20. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Right, lol! But would you, for instance, take issue if you come across a flowery Wang designer profile in the latest issue of Elle, a pro-women magazine? Let's assume for a second that Elle is your favourite read.
    See, I think that as an Elle consumer, you do have that right to feel some sort of way and also, to let Elle know about that. It's then Elle's decision if they want to oblige to your complaint or not.

I think that cancel culture often get so much hate because some (those who are against it) tend to look at the repercussions first and say - they've put this poor man through hell and he's left with nothing. What more do they want?!?
    The movement has helped with A LOT. Without cancel culture I doubt Me Too, Times Up, or BLM would've been effective.

#860 Benn98, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    JohannesL, dsamg, modela and 2 others like this.