Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

This made me giggle :lol:

Just a few weeks back, I heard Mr Klein in a rousing and wide-ranging conversation with Fern Mallis at the Mint Luxury Conference in Mumbai. Amongst other things, he endorsed the brand's recent choice of Justin Bieber to front its men's My Calvins campaign, but was much less enthusiastic about Kendall Jenner, Bieber's counterpart for the corresponding women's campaign.
BoF

Love this quote from his interview:
"I understand why it's young and cool, but there is a thing about respect for women and trying to make women look as beautiful as they possibly can, and also [creating] new things. There's a lot that's going on that's disappointing."
http://au.complex.com/style/2016/04/calvin-klein-throws-shade-at-kendall-jenner

wow, he was throwing the punches

Haha I know right, especially

"Designers today don't stay long enough on the job, even the best ones," he said. "They stay two years and their contract's up, and then they think they have invented the name Dior or Saint Laurent or Balenciaga. Everyone's replaceable. A lot of designers get replaced, and often get forgotten."

Some would have just stopped at the first sentence but he made sure he named each house. No holding back! :P

And here I thought Kate Middleton had the Midas touch??
It's not really rare for seemingly thriving houses to be in the red in spite of being omnipresent on red carpets. This was supposedly one of the reasons L'Wren Scott committed suicide. And she too had a seemingly thriving celebrity following. Perhaps the real question is whether throwing clothes at starlets yields a favourable turnover.

If your clientele consists of people who typically want the clothes for free, where's the profit coming from?

That article tells me a different reason why she went under - which had more to do with her extravagance than her company operations. and perhaps she relied just a little too much on her wealthy ex rather than focusing on the business? sounds like she was dipping into company funds to live that celebrity lifestyle. there's really no other logical reason why her brand, being sort of the go-to type for celebrities, with clothes that really aren't too wild for people to not wear, should go under like that, especially with friggin Kate Middleton wearing your goods.

I've always wondered about Miuccia Prada.

Here's a quote from an interview with Mica Arganaraz that user seget translated.

The instructions were clear: don't speak to her, don't look in her eyes, don't comment on the clothes. With a suit, flat shoes, and a Borges book under her arm, the model Mica Argañaraz entered the Miu Miu casting and complied: she didn't look at Miuccia Prada.
"That's my favorite book," said the surprised designer, pointing at El Libro de Arena. From there the casting became a relaxed chat about the writer, las lecturas, and Argentina. Two days later, Mica opened the Miu Miu show. .... Two weeks later she was booked for the F/W Prada campaign.

source:www.lanacion.com

Those are quite strict guidelines. I guess even stricter than meeting the Queen of England. I like the second part of the quote though.

^ I get the part about not commenting on the clothes - it's often better to keep quiet because words get twisted and some designers are easily offended, but not looking Miuccia in the eyes is a hilarious one. I'm glad the book changed everything. :lol:

Marc is getting dragged on the internet for the models' hairstyle.

I can't even look at the clothes because of the hair. I don't care that he said it was inspired by Wachowski, who doesn't get a pass for hers, it's disgusting of him to use dreads like this.

Oh Marc, sometimes it's best to keep quiet.

themarcjacobs
@radical.lizeth @emmelephant and all who cry "cultural appropriation" or whatever nonsense about any race or skin color wearing their hair in any particular style or manner- funny how you don't criticize women of color for straightening their hair. I respect and am inspired by people and how they look. I don't see color or race- I see people. I'm sorry to read that so many people are so narrow minded... Love is the answer. Appreciation of all and inspiration from anywhere is a beautiful thing. Think about it
instagram.com/marcjacobs

^I came here to post this. He really does use every stupid excuse in the book. :rolleyes:

Maybe because in french speaking countries, we don't have such a thing as cultural appropriation but i really don't understand the controversy around the hair.
His answer may not be the most intelligent but why trying to create a controversy around everything. Most of the time, those controversies comes from ignorance (remember the Dolce & Gabbana earrings?).

^He's American so I doubt he can plead ignorance on this one (in the age of internet no less).

Maybe because in french speaking countries, we don't have such a thing as cultural appropriation but i really don't understand the controversy around the hair.
His answer may not be the most intelligent but why trying to create a controversy around everything. Most of the time, those controversies comes from ignorance (remember the Dolce & Gabbana earrings?).

The argument is that some black people feel as though he's using something of their culture for "fashion", on mostly white models. Afro hair; especially dreadlocks, have been looked down on and belittled by other communities, so people aren't happy he is using it.

Honestly most of it is just hype, people jump on board anything to call someone out. However, his response was beyond ignorant. He later apologised. I know he's not racist, but i think he should have taken more responsibility and casted more black girls.

It's a shame, because i like the look, and it fit the music at the show. But Jourdan Dunn - who is VERY vocal about racism, did the show and supported it on Instagram. If she's cool with it, it's not a big deal. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->