Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior [Read post #1 before posting]

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by tFS Thread Manager, Jun 22, 2018.

1. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

^ OK, yes, had forgotten about that ...

The madonna/w... distinction is something we've all been marinated in, along with everything that's fueling our dumpster fire in the US right now ... you definitely have to be conscious about rejecting all of it--and putting some better thinking in its place.

2. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

The worst thing about that is that her fashion was very sexy and seductive.
    I’ve lost total respect for her since that comment.

dsamg likes this.
  3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

That's an interesting observation in Donna's case because she was one of the first to set up a charity immediately after the earthquake in Haiti. It's been a bumpy ride since, there was the DKNY campaign with Adriana Lima set in Haiti, but it's impressive that she's still as involved with the charity as ever.
    I just wonder when she's saying 'you're asking for rape by dressing provocatively'....how does that reconcile with the mission statement of what she used to design, and her current work in Haiti? Because that wasn't just a slip of the tongue comment. I have the same suspicion over, for instance, gay charities driven by the Catholic church. Yes, they can say 'we believe in helping ALL people', but at some point the values of the church will interfere or trickle into the charity.

4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Virgil Abloh responds to Diet Prada's posts about him. In short, pulling the class card:

The Instagram account Diet Prada, which is run by the fashion annalists Tony Liu and Lindsey Schuyler, called out the similarities between Abloh’s chair and McCobb’s. It also compared an Off-White T-shirt, from Abloh’s 2016 collection, to a poster by A. G. Fronzoni, which used an identical font design. In January, it posted a diptych of two extremely similar outfits, both yolk yellow and featuring jagged text. The first was made, last year, by the relatively unknown indie label Colrs. The second was from “Public Television.” This did not seem like an homage. Shortly after Paris Fashion Week, I met with Abloh for the last time, at the Soho House in Chicago. When I mentioned the post to him, he took the opportunity to praise Diet Prada’s editorial project. “All props to them, that’s a great concept,” he said. But he added that the account didn’t take into consideration that coincidences can happen.

He said that he had never seen the Colrs look when he designed his yellow ensemble. The allegation was founded on “basically the use of a yellow fabric with a pattern on it,” he said. “Ring the alarm!” He sighed. “I could go on for a whole hour about the human condition and the magnet that is negativity. That’s why the world is actually like it is. That’s why good doesn’t prevail, because there’s more negative energy. You can create more connective tissue around the idea that this is plagiarized. It’s better just to sit and point your finger. That’s what social media can be. All that space to comment breeds a tendency to fester, versus actually making something.” He went on, “It allows you to package up this thing as: ‘You’re not a designer. Close the book. Because, designers, you should be from Belgium.’ ”

The New Yorker

5. Lola701

Lol Coincidences...
    I hate when an insanely privileged person plays the class card.
    At one point, when coincidences are consistent, it’s not coincidences anymore.

bonnevie, GreyVetiver, Nomar and 2 others like this.
  6. billiejbob

billiejbob Active Member

7. fashionista-ta

^ And speaking of Michael Jackson ... some years ago, I expressed the fact that I found the accusations credible here on tFS and was unmercifully dragged for it. "You of all people ...!!!" I wonder where those posts are ... ;) No doubt apologies will be forthcoming :rofl:

Not sure if I would call the Belgium reference the class card?

8. Lola701

I'm a bit conflicted on the Michael Jackson thing....
    Unlike a lot of stories we have heard since Harvey Weinstein, people in the fashion industry, Bill Cosby and stuff, here we have someone who was investigated, who faced the justice and who was found guilty.
    What he was accused of was major 20 years ago as it is now...So the Me Too movement in a way has a weird influence on it.
    I saw the documentary and i found it weird.

I know in this new era, saying that you don't believe the alleged victims is asking for a backlash but i just say it.
    And this is nowhere close to anything we have seen from the Me Too movement from now...

I find Louis Vuitton's reaction a bit weird considering that the fashion industry has milked the MJ thing for years now as soon he was found innocent.
    And i'm quite interested in seeing how everything will turn around since this is the 10th year anniversary of his death and that a lot of those companies have money to make around it.
    I don't think a trial can happen again or an investigation as the man is dead...So i'll see it.

9. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I've put my two cents about the documentary over here.
    Wasnt even aware that LV was working on a MJ collection, why would they? For me, it's such a questionable choice because it's not as if the allegations only just came to light.

@fashionista-ta .... you'll see the second coming first before you'll get an apology, lol!

fashionista-ta and Lola701 like this.
  10. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Diane Von Furstenberg is stepping down as chairman of the CFDA and Tom Ford got appointed in her place. Lola must be in heaven right now! :lol:

Benn98 and Lola701 like this.
  11. Lola701

:lol::lol:I’m happy for him and the American Fashion Community as they will be represented by a real successful, iconic and respected fashion designer.

That being said, I would happier if he design a good collection...

12. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

MJ is a weird one. Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont believe there has been any kind of sexual misconduct scandal like this one, where such a large proportion of the population downright refuses to believe the allegations.

13. Lola701

I think that the MJ case is maybe the one that sounds the most weird itself.
    All the questions that weren’t appropriate to ask with the other allegations are totally appropriate with this one.

Except for Bill Cosby, the only impact of the Me Too movement for the predators was being cancelled and a social ban. Hopefully, Mr Weinstein will end up behind bars...

With MJ, it’s super weird. The trial was settle 15+ years ago and the man died 10 years ago. And he is now accused by two people who used to defend him.

And it’s not like it’s a result of a new investigation...

It’s difficult to be really invested in it. I want to know what’s the end goal behind it.

dsamg likes this.
  14. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

They refuse to believe the allegations because for them to admit to it will mean they'll eventually have to deal with their conscience. Those baby boomers who followed his antics in the media but said nothing are complicit and can be regarded as enablers. The man jet across the world with 10yo companions and nobody flinched? If it were little girls or women who came forward they'd be given the benefit of the doubt by default.

I wouldn't break it down to 'two people who used to defend him' personally. The subtleties stretch way beyond that, as explored in the documentary.

perfect blue and dsamg like this.
  15. fashionista-ta

To me, the statements he himself made to mainstream media were incredibly suspect. As were a lot of the statements in his defense ...

I think many people are unwilling to face the fact that a lot of 'art,' and art they like, is made by incredibly flawed and often immoral people. And by that I don't mean people who don't follow the rules, but people who deeply fail to be decent human beings. I think some people would rather rail at others than believe their favorite music in the 7th grade was made by a predator. Personally, I prefer the truth to a lie (no matter how attractive) ...

StoneSkipper, Lola701, dsamg and 2 others like this.
  16. Shiru

Shiru Active Member

I don’t know if it’s true of any other countries, but fundamentally America has always had the problem that the most important thing is “feeling right,” even while being wrong. It’s engrained into our individualistic, anti-intellectual culture and our blindly patriotic national identity. It explains why there is such denial and especially why that denial is so passionate. Many Americans associate his music with their own cultural identity and to attack him is to attack their personal identity. It’s not right, but that’s just how it is here. Our president is proof enough of that.

17. Morgane07

Morgane07 Well-Known Member

MJ also has a lot of staunch supporters in France.
    I haven't watched Leaving Neverland, but at the end of the day no other human being on the planet, dead or alive, would get away with sleeping in the same bed as young boys in the open. I understand he felt more comfortable in the company of children, but why did he seem to have a specific type (pretty boys from a specific age group) and why did he have to sleep in the same bed as them? Not different beds in the same room, like many sleepovers? I'd be curious to hear how his defenders can justify that. Sadly I'm personally convinced he's guilty.

jorgepalomo likes this.
  18. Lola701

Ultimately, it is all it is all about... Our personal belief.
    I mean, now it’s what we are left for as he was found not guilty by the law.

I think it’s never good to idolize someone, as genius as he is. He is human after all and everybody has a dark side.
    Not that I think he is guilty but I hate how his fans try to justify his behavior with how he was raised and how much of a child he was in his mind.

He was no saint, because nobody he is but even if he did nothing with the children, I think his fans needs to understand that his behavior was highly questionable for a man of his age, of his caliber and an individual period.

I saw a debate with some his fans the other day and while I agree about how fishy the whole operation of the documentary is, I was shocked when they tried to tell us that an adult was a child in his mind as if they knew him personally.

StoneSkipper likes this.
  19. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Luis Barajas

At Flaunt Magazine, a “progressive” workplace meant unwanted groping and kissing, lawsuit says

By Carter Sherman Apr 11, 2019

Since at least fourth grade, Joseph Dalla Betta wanted to become a writer. So when Dalla Betta — who’s 25 and uses they/them pronouns — landed their first job in journalism with Flaunt Magazine, a self-described "satirical fashion and culture" publication based in Los Angeles, they were thrilled. In July 2018, Dalla Betta started working directly for the magazine’s CEO, Luis Barajas, as his assistant.

Dalla Betta can't remember how or exactly when the harassment started. But while working for a magazine that prided itself on being "provocative" with a "progressive and liberal attitude," Dalla Betta said they were repeatedly touched and kissed by Barajas, and once kissed and struck in the face by Matthew Bedard, Flaunt's editor-in-chief.

Now, nine months later, Dalla Betta no longer works for Flaunt and is suing the magazine, Barajas, and Bedard for sexual harassment, sexual battery, failure to stop discrimination, and a litany of workplace violations they say they endured while working there. Dalla Betta's lawsuit is seeking unspecified damages.

Barajas and Bedard declined to comment.

In an interview with VICE News and in their complaint submitted to a Los Angeles Superior Court Thursday, Dalla Betta described a workplace with few boundaries between workers’ professional and personal lives, where suggestive comments were routine and openly made, and where they were often expected to work late into the night at rowdy parties, without fair compensation. Flaunt also lacked any clear way to report sexual harassment or discrimination, according to the lawsuit.

“I felt incredibly anxious,” Dalla Betta said. “Like, yeah, paralyzed, really just, like, paralyzed in the rut of going to work and experiencing it and coming home and not being able to talk to my closest friends about it — and simultaneously feeling proud to have this job.”

At first, Dalla Betta thought that the expectations and behavior at Flaunt were normal in the journalism industry. They poured themselves into Flaunt, often working through weekends. At times, it felt like even the boundaries between Dalla Betta and the magazine itself had dissolved, because they felt the successes and failures of the magazine so intimately.

"LIBERAL" CULTURE
    An independent magazine co-founded by Barajas in 1998, Flaunt covers art, culture, and fashion and publishes six issues a year. It hosts star-studded parties and its Instagram often features celebrities whose names might not be on marquees but are certainly recognizable to a generation that grew up on the internet, like Ross Butler and Natalia Dyer. Chloë Grace Moretz, Andrew Garfield, and Halsey have all appeared on recent Flaunt covers. Its staff is relatively small; Barajas is married to its creative director, the lawsuit says.

“[W]e are a casual office. We are also provocative and have a progressive and liberal attitude,” it says in a 2018 welcome packet Dalla Betta received, according to the lawsuit. “Please be aware that this is not your typical ‘office experience.’”

[​IMG]
    Joseph Dalla Betta. Photo credit: Lucy-Bleu Knight

In August 2018, Dalla Betta traveled to Las Vegas with Barajas and Flaunt’s publisher for a fashion industry trade show, according to the lawsuit. It was only after that trip that some of this behavior began to feel like abuse, Dalla Betta said.

The three people were all booked for a shared hotel suite, where Dalla Betta was expected to take the couch and Barajas the master bedroom, according to the lawsuit. After gambling and drinking together, however, Barajas allegedly insisted that Dalla Betta sleep in his bed, despite Dalla Betta’s repeated protests.

Once they were in bed, Barajas started kissing Dalla Betta, even though Dalla Betta repeatedly pulled away and said no, according to the lawsuit. When Barajas allegedly wouldn’t stop, Dalla Betta pretended to fall asleep. The complaint says Barajas then started masturbating Dalla Betta, before masturbating himself until ejaculation.

Days after getting back from Las Vegas, Dalla Betta said, they told Andie Eisen — an associate editor at Flaunt and a friend who helped Dalla Betta get the job — about what happened, according to the lawsuit. Eisen confirmed to VICE News that Dalla Betta told her about the alleged assault, and is not named in the lawsuit.

“At that point, I definitely realized it was wrong,” Dalla Betta said. “But at the same time, I still felt it was kind of part of the job — something, like, I had to accept in order to continue there.”

“DEEP, DEEP UNSETTLING RAGE”
    That wasn’t the last time Barajas touched Dalla Betta, according to the lawsuit. At one point, he mistook Dalla Betta’s teddy bear keychain, which was in Dalla Betta’s pocket, for their penis and fondled it, the lawsuit alleges. Barajas also kissed Dalla Betta four times, Dalla Betta alleges. One of those times, the lawsuit alleges, “Dalla Betta allowed Barajas to kiss them because, by that point, Dalla Betta felt resigned to the idea that providing sexual favors to Barajas was part of the job.”

At a work party in October 2018, Bedard, Flaunt’s top editor, kissed Dalla Betta on the lips and then slapped Dalla Betta three times across the face, according to the complaint.

“Bedard appeared to be very intoxicated and possibly under the influence of cocaine or another drug,” the lawsuit alleges.

Both Eisen and Jake Harrison, who then worked as Flaunt’s fashion assistant, told VICE News they witnessed the incident.

“I said, ‘What the **** are you doing?’ because I was standing right there,” Eisen told VICE News. She said she tried to pull on Bedard’s arm but he drew back and hit Dalla Betta again. “I could see Joey was trying to just hold it together.”

Still, Dalla Betta didn’t want to quit. Then, in early December, a Flaunt editor told Dalla Betta that Barajas had groped him and given him an unwanted kiss, the lawsuit alleges.

“At that point, I just — I cracked,” Dalla Betta said, describing “this deep, deep, unsettling rage” that someone else had evidently been abused. “We felt scared for just everybody in the space.”

Dalla Betta said that they met with Barajas and Bedard to confront them over what the lawsuit calls the “major boundaries issues within the workplace at Flaunt.”

“I know that we mix professional and personal relationships in this office, and if we need to separate those relationships from here on out, we can do that,” Barajas allegedly told the staffers. He added, “We will stop doing cocaine with the interns,” according to the complaint.

Two days later, at another work party, Dalla Betta heard that Barajas had groped a Flaunt intern’s boyfriend, according to the lawsuit. Less than a week later, the complaint says, Dalla Betta decided to go on medical leave, to treat anxiety and depression.

Days after that leave ended, Dalla Betta resigned.

“It was really disappointing, especially because I gave them, we gave them this opportunity to change their behavior,” Dalla Betta said. “I really had high hopes for both my place in the magazine and the magazine as an entity.”

Eisen and Harrison also said they quit their jobs. While Eisen now works for Playboy magazine, both Harrison and Dalla Betta said they are still looking for steady work in media.

For weeks, Dalla Betta said, they couldn’t even sit in front of a computer and write.

“It was so linked to Flaunt. The whole experience made me question why I was there in the first place and why they liked my writing, and it totally destroyed that for me for a moment,” they said. Dalla Betta wondered if they’d only been hired at Flaunt as a sex object, or if any compliments they’d received for writing were genuine.

Still, Dalla Betta is now sending out pitches to publications.

“It’s still challenging,” Della Batta said. “But I think everything is a little more challenging in the wake of trauma. I feel like I am rebuilding myself as a person.”

Vice

20. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

François-Henri Pinault and Bernard Arnault have pledged to donate a combined sum of 300 million euros for rebuilding the Notre Dame.