Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior [Read post #1 before posting]

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by tFS Thread Manager, Jun 22, 2018.

1. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

I believe it was first announced that Pinault will be donating €100 million. Shortly after that it was announced that Arnault will be donating €200 million.

I just can’t help but laugh. To me it feels like a blatant and over the top dick measuring contest.

dsamg likes this.
  2. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

As long as Notre Dame gets a 300 million euro donation, they can measure them as much as it pleases them as far as I'm concerned. :)

dsamg, tapenerd, StoneSkipper and 3 others like this.
  3. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

Yes, that’s true!

4. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

In fact I encourage all billionaires to keep trying to out-rich each other when it comes to charitable donations!

dsamg, Lalippity, tapenerd and 3 others like this.
  5. Aizanara

Aizanara Well-Known Member

If only they could compete to give to stop world hunger...

Lalippity, modela, TommysBaby and 6 others like this.
  6. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

It’s good that billionaires are putting money for Notre Dame. Tbh, billionaires are the ones supporting that entire part of culture in France. Rebuilding monuments and stuff is something that is supported by fashion houses and groups. That’s why during FW you got all those brands that can show in those amazing locations...

It’s not just a charity. Of course, the Arnault, Pinault, Bettencourt and Bouygues are catholic but it’s more than that. They are linking their names into something bigger than them.
    Nobody knew who build or designed the Cathedral but in few years time, everybody will remember that those families participated in rebuilding it.

I personally don’t think they should rebuild it exactly how it was. As tragic as it is, it’s also part of it history. They should maybe just cover it, make it safer and maybe use part of the money to help other monuments in France.

I hope you know that there are billions that poured into World hunger.
    The problem of world hunger is not giving. The problem is the reality of charity business and the weakness of the governments of the countries that needs help to make real beneficial deals in order to provide for their people.

Fighting World Hunger today is literally giving money to people and government to buy products to feed people in a very limited time when in fact it should be more political and a way to worship Agriculture. Mix it with Global warming and it’s a mess.

billiejbob likes this.
  7. Aizanara

Aizanara Well-Known Member

I know it. I also know that these families aren't giving that much money for charity nor to appear as the saviors. I mean fiscal niche?

I have a big problem when a cathedral is worth more than lives. People in France are suffering and can't make ends meet. Giving millions in a blink of an eye is kinda insulting to those who are already in debt the 10th of the month... Especially when those who are giving the money can go away with anything.

8. Lola701

The exemption works up until 20 Millions so they are not going to benefit from that on that matter as they went above and beyond...
    If you pay attention, they decided to give the money « in their name » and so as families and individual.

It would be too long to explain in English how that system work...

But, what I wanted to say is that let’s not believe that it’s free. That’s why using social issues to compare much like comparing misery at every sake is not necessarly helping.

What they are not going to gain from a fiscal point of view will be balanced with the restoration project: architects, workers...etc. It’s interesting in a way that Bouygues decided to give and Arnault said that he will put his architect on a line if needed.

I don’t expect from all those rich families to « help » people freely in France. What I expect from them is to give jobs and pay decently their employees.

Aizanara likes this.
  9. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

Donations... the instagram story of billionaires. Gotta channel the attention to yourself, your account, your "brand", get those likes/press, even though, a) it's in the news and nobody needs your TBT or reporting and b) the restoration of the entire thing was estimated at, what, 150?, granted it did not include a fire and certainly not on this scale but that obscene sum? it inevitably says a lot about how the iron pillars of inequality can be so easily bended when what is considered sacred and valued is touched but the rest of the year? don't you even dare to insinuate the burden it carries on most of the population, they work hard and.. maybe you don't and you're just jealous. And no, it's not whataboutism, it's just interesting to see the criteria of when to rush to the rescue with your blanket of millions.. especially when, as far as I know, only one person (firefighter) was injured (didn't die). While physically documented culture is important, damage to its physical symbols do not exactly mean a culture has been injured.. that would be the case if suddenly people woke up not remembering their language or knowing what to cook. Not the case. There's a moral trip involved here that is not surprising but also a bit cringey to see.

Also so much to say about that Flaunt story but maybe this line alone is everything they're worth.

style_expert and StoneSkipper like this.
  10. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

We had a bridge project here recently ... it got a lot of attention, I think it's beautiful and adds something to the skyline. It's definitely more than just a functional bridge.

I know someone who was really angry about the money spent and felt it should have been spent socially.

I am in favor of both. We are an advanced society--we should be able to survive and have beauty. In fact we need both. If billionaires pay their fair share + we stop fighting unnecessary wars (most if not all of them), we suddenly have plenty of resources for both.

11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Suddenly Orban's immense popularity in Hungary makes a lot of sense!
    Double cringe? The photographer is herself is black.

[​IMG]

Glamour Hungary Rejects Editorial Over Non-White Model

An editor at the Conde Nast International title said because of the country’s market, it only works with “caucasian” models.

By Kali Hays on April 20, 2019

Glamour Hungary’s staff might need a refresher course on the value of true diversity in its pages.
    A beauty editor for the monthly magazine, which is part of Conde Nast International and publishes through a deal with regional media company Ringier Axel Springer, this week told photographer Brenda Nasr in an exchange on Instagram that the magazine is “only allowed to have editorial with Caucasian models.” The exchange was prompted by Nasr pitching a fashion editorial she shot with a single black model to run in the title, which has since been picked up by Cosmopolitan Lithuania, a relatively nearby Eastern European country, and is set to run next month.

“In an industry like this, you typically can’t call people out, because you never know for sure,” Nasr said. “You might have a hunch that they don’t want something [for a specific reason], but you can’t call them out directly — but she just told me.”

Nasr reached out to representatives of Conde Nast in the U.S. and was put in touch with a representative of the International division before the editor in chief of Glamour Hungary, Krisztina Maróy, got in touch with an apology.

Maróy, who’s been leading the title since its 2004 launch, apologized to Nasr in an email for “any offense to you, we absolutely did not mean to.” She characterized herself and all of her colleagues as “committed devotee of human rights, democracy and female empowerment” and said the magazine is edited in line with those values. The editor went on to explain that the language of the beauty editor, who works on a freelance basis, was “ambiguous” and “rather awkward,” noting that English is not her first language.

“[The editor] simply meant that our beauty pages work on mirroring the reader and in a magazine like Glamour and in a country like Hungary they are practical, not inspirational,” Maróy wrote.

A CNI spokeswoman declined to comment beyond Maróy’s email. Maróy also sent along several examples of “diverse” models and editorial, both beauty and fashion spreads that have appeared in Glamour Hungary since 2017.

“I would have been happy to hear her just reject [the decision], but she didn’t,” Nasr said. She noted that, in looking through the 11 editorials “even the darkest model was pretty light.” And most of the pages with non-white models offer them more as a feature of editorial focused on white models.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Examples of diverse editorial from Glamour Hungary.

Nasr, who is based in Washington, D.C., just spent the past four years living in Baltic countries like Croatia and Serbia, which, like Hungary, are predominantly ethnically white regions of Europe. But that doesn’t mean their people are uninterested in outside looks and cultures. In getting the shoot accepted for Cosmopolitan Lithuania, Nasr said the editor wanted it explicitly because the audience there “loves to see something new.”

“What I would really like to know is where the [Glamour] beauty editor’s statement originated,” Nasr said. “It seems clear to the edit team that these are the kind of looks [Glamour Hungary] wants. The person who was most ambiguous was the eic — the beauty editor wasn’t.”

WWD

Lax89, modela, LostInNJ and 3 others like this.
  12. Mathewthew

Mathewthew Member

Dose anyone know about the news of the hearing of the non-compete case of Bruno Sialelli with LVMH ? There's an article on WWD, but it's only for subscribers.
    Apparently, The non compete clause is till May, but Bruno debuted his Lanvin collection in February and of course LVMH doesn't like the review about Lanvin is too similar to Loewe.

modela and dsamg like this.
  13. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

^ Can someone please tell them that no one's seen it?

modela, Benn98, dsamg and 1 other person like this.
  14. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

Apparently, Alexandra Shullman is under fire for body shame Helena Christensen

TommysBaby and tapenerd like this.
  15. Lax89

Lax89 Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised by the response. I live in Hungary and a lot of Hungarians are openly racist.
    Their racism goes as far as any non-Hungarian is a foreigner and is not accepted

Benn98 and modela like this.
  16. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

This may be true, but newsflash - the world is full of non-caucasian people. For a fashion magazine to cater only to their "market" in this way is shocking and embarrassing in 2019. It would be great if brands decided to not lend to this specific edition of the magazine as a form of protest/to prove a point.

Every time I think we have taken a step forward, here comes another article that shows we have taken two steps backwards.

modela likes this.
  17. Wintergreen

Wintergreen Active Member

It's Helena Christensen for f**k's sake, one of the original Victoria's Secret Angels. Shulman is probably jealous that Helena looks much better in it at 50 than she would've at 20.

18. Lax89

Lax89 Well-Known Member

Where did you see in my response that I was ok with this ?! Stop overreacting and call me ignorant, please. I just said I was not surprised by a Hungarian magazine to do that. The whole world knows how racist Hungary is.

19. Lola701

Can we talk about the irony of Mr Abloh being the poster child of diversity and inclusion and the fact that he casually post in his Insta Stories his « 100% not diverse team »

The man is literally the only POC in his own company...

20. LostInNJ

LostInNJ Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

I'm failing to see where I called you ignorant, and I didn't say you were ok with it, rather the magazine was complacent with their actions.

Please re-read what I wrote, thanks.