Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior [Read post #1 before posting]

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by tFS Thread Manager, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I suppose in a way it did sound like you took issue with what he said - quoting his post, the words 'may' and 'but' in the first sentence..... when in fact it seems we are all in agreement.
    I personally found it grossly insensitive that the beauty editor was so crass with the photographer, given her race. I know in her mind she's probably being 'transparent' - something which people from that region always seems to pride themselves with, but my God, think for a second how the other person may perceive what you're saying.

As for Virgil, I find the psychology behind this very interesting. He's not a paper pusher or assistant, he wields a lot of influence. That is actually surprising to me that his staff doesn't reflect the same diversity he's using to peddle his pitiful wares for LV. It's very rare to find an advertorial of his collection in a magazine NOT being shown on black models or celebs. So it's clearly only a marketing gimmick then? Some may ask why does this matter. His collection received so much mainstream praise not because of the actual pieces, but because of who he was and what his position represented.

2. sore

sore Well-Known Member

Wow...I don't know if 'inspiration' is the right word for what's going on here?

modela and Benn98 like this.
  3. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

^ Where is the shirt from, though? Is it Nicole's own design? And if she purchased the fabric from a regular store, then the Victoria Beckham team has possibly done the same because that seems like the exact same print with some of the colors reversed and only upside down.

modela likes this.
  4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I wish Nicole would take it one step further and actually alert the brand where she bought that shirt from. How shameful! Hacks and copycats need to be exposed.

On a sidenote, Nicole looks VERY chic in that outfit!

modela likes this.
  5. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

She said it was vintage. I guess the disconnect was not realizing what that flurry of attention meant. Seems a little obvious?

6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

ITALIAN DESIGNER APOLOGISES FOR CALLING MADONNA A ‘HUMAN TOILET’

‘I would like to ask forgiveness and express my most sincere regret to Madonna’

Italian fashion designer Marcelo Burlon has issued a public apology after calling Madonna a “human toilet” in a Facebook post about the singer.

On Sunday, Madonna was pictured arriving at the airport dressed in County of Milan, the brand which Burlon is creative director for.

In response to the pop star’s outfit choice, Burlon shared the images on Facebook with an accompanying caption in which he refers to Madonna as “la cessa,” Italian slang for “human toilet”.

“And the time finally came that Madonna, la cessa, wore County of Milan,” the designer wrote in Italian. “I want to guarantee that nobody has given her anything for free, but that she paid with your money.”

According to Diet Prada, an account that regularly calls out the behaviour of celebrities, which captured screenshots of the post, la cessa is slang and roughly translates to “human toilet” or “ugly as f***”.

“Marcelo Burlon proving to be human garbage,” the Instagram account wrote alongside a photo of the Facebook post. “After deleting the Facebook post, Burlon began publicising those same photos on Instagram stories.”

Diet Prada also shared screenshots of Burlon’s apology, which he shared on Instagram stories.
    “I criticised Madonna for her outfit and talking bulls**t about her,” the designer wrote. “I would like just to apologise and nothing else.”

In a lengthier apology post on Instagram, Burlon said he was sorry for his “huge mistake”, adding that the experience taught him “social media is a tool which can often be used for a frivolous laugh, but what I really learned today is that this should never ever be at the expense of another person, or group of people”.

The designer also said his decision to refer to Madonna with the Italian slur was “haphazard and irresponsible” and that his intention was “never to provoke antagonism or hate”.

“I made a naive and stupid mistake but the root of this should not be misunderstood as misogynistic because that was in no way my motivation,” he said. “As anyone close to me can attest, I have always attempted to effectively live my life without gender, age, or racially based prejudice. I am not perfect, and I too learn daily from my surroundings which is why I would sincerely like to punctuate that there was in no way malicious intent based on gender or age in my post.”

The designer concluded the post promising his followers that he intends to learn from his mistake.

Despite apologising, Burlon has continued to face criticism, with many calling his behaviour and comments “misogynistic” and for him to be “cancelled”.

The designer’s apology has also been deemed insincere, with some people suggesting it was written by a PR professional.

“This apology is so transparent and insincere,” one person wrote, while another said: “Clearly didn’t write this himself. It’s got PR written all over it.”

Others have compared Burlon’s behaviour to Dolce and Gabbana designer Stefano Gabbana, who regularly faces backlash for his controversial comments.

The Independent

modela likes this.
  7. TommysBaby

TommysBaby Active Member

And the fact that Virgil steals ideas from young black and Asian creatives! Smh. So many black celebrities (Beyonce, Rihanna, Tracee, even Kanye) champion him probably because they want to support a black artist - which is okay. Him being a black designer was probably the only reason I was still okay with him getting the recognition he gets - heading the menswear of luxury giant Louis Vuitton, showing at Paris FW etc. But seeing that he is clearly leveraging that all the while doing actually nothing for his community seems so dishonest and wrong to me.

8. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

9. modela

modela Well-Known Member

ugh i cant stand these freaking tumblr designers .

10. readings

readings Member

from a political & social point of view, everything vêtements does is so inappropriate and unbearable that i just can't look at their shows anymore.

it is cultural reappropriation at its worst, emptying underground cultures and political protest mouvements from all their substance and making gimmicks out of them...

and then Demna says what?
    "on Vogue.com, Gvasalia explained the collection: “I love uniforms.'' (source here)
    yeah ok...

11. TommysBaby

TommysBaby Active Member

Graydon Carter was named in this Twitter thread about the Jeffery Epstein case. Apparently a writer wanted to publish an exposé in the magazine but Carter told her to remove the testimonies she had collected. His excuse was that he wanted to protect the minor girls involved. People on Twitter are calling him an "Enabler". Not a good look for him.

12. dodencebt

Are we allowed to discuss Leslie Wexner's involvement with Epstein and the potential consequences to Victoria's Secret?

13. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

^Of course.

14. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

15. billiejbob

billiejbob Active Member

Looks like Versace is in in HOT water with China too over a print that identifies Hong Kong and Macau as their own sovereign countries. They've put out an official apology but whether that's enough or not is hard to tell yet.

The timing couldn't be any worse especially with the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong at the moment - Versace will definitely lose support in HK now.

Versace’s Hong Kong gaffe angers Chinese social media users

16. tatouejeremie

tatouejeremie Active Member

i'm more offended they don't seem to know how to spell brussels

and why would they lose support in HK because of this? isn't this what the majority there want?

Lalippity and billiejbob like this.
  17. billiejbob

billiejbob Active Member

Ha I didn't see the Brussels spelling - that's bad.

What I meant was that now in their apology Versace has acknowledged China's sovereignty over HK which will anger the Hong Kong people who obviously want their own sovereignty. Versace has put itself in a really awkward position.

tatouejeremie and dodencebt like this.
  18. dodencebt

It’s a very touchy subject but I don’t think Versace should have apologized for this. Basically the apology diminishes the protests and struggles of the people in Hong Kong and will surely lose their support.

Will Ross likes this.
  19. tatouejeremie

tatouejeremie Active Member

no exactly, i wish these businesses actually had the guts to take a stand when it comes to china, but ofcourse after the stefano gabbana scandal everyone's scared they'll be next.

Will Ross, dsamg and dodencebt like this.
  20. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

My two cents? This will turn out as nasty for Versace as it did for D&G. Many of the top luxury brands have a native spokesperson in China to help legitimise the brand in the market. Yang Mi is basically Fan Bingbing's replacement in terms of reach and public profile and she knows which side her bread is buttered on. She's been the spokesperson for Kors before moving to Lancome, Stuart Weitzman and Versace. Her publically turning on Versace like this makes it impossible for Donatella to hire any other spokesperson in that region because that would naturally seem as if that person cosign to the mistake. The statement was also released by her studio which means that, at the core, the decision to end her ambassador role wasn't exactly hers, must've come from way above.

Even though I think this was an innocent oversight just like the Gucci blackface one where probably Donatella nor Alessandro wasn't even aware of it, I don't expect to see Versace ads in Chinese magazines anymore. And they will probably no longer be editorialised either. To my knowledge, the informal D&G ban in fashion media is running to this day because the Chinese don't forget a bad turn. If Maria with her SJW slogan tees isn't worried yet, she should be.

[​IMG]

Versace loses Chinese brand ambassador Yang Mi amid T-shirt controversy
    • CHINA
    • Sunday, 11 Aug 2019

3:19 PM MYT

BEIJING (Bloomberg): Versace has just lost its brand ambassador in China.

Chinese actress Yang Mi said she'll end her cooperation with the luxury fashion label after a controversy erupted online over claims that its T-shirt design defied the "One China" policy.

Yang, Versace's first Chinese brand ambassador, issued a notice to the company to end her contract and stop all work with the brand after its T-shirt listed Hong Kong as a country rather than a city. It did the same for Macau. Both are special administrative regions of China.

Yang said Versace has harmed China's sovereign and territorial integrity, according to a statement posted Sunday (Aug 11) on the official Weibo account of Jiaxing Xingguang, the actress's studio.

Versace has apologised and removed the T-shirt. Hong Kong, a former British colony, became a special administrative region of China in 1997.

Versace's T-shirt is the latest in a string of faux pas by foreign companies when it comes to dealing with China. Last year, Dolce & Gabbana's video ad that showed a Chinese model struggling to eat spaghetti and pizza with chopsticks sparked outrage and a boycott of its products.

Earlier this year, Leica Camera AG quickly distanced itself from a promotional video that prompted a backlash against the company in China for partially focusing on the 1989 Tiananmen Square pro-democracy protests.

The controversy around the T-shirt also comes as sensitivities around China and Hong Kong have intensified in the past two months with anti-Beijing protests in the city in their 10th week.

This weekend, the demonstrations spilled over from city streets to a sit-in at the airport, the world's third-busiest in terms of international passengers.

China also clamped down on Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd after employees of Hong Kong's dominant airline joined the protests, one of the strongest signs that Chinese authorities are losing patience with the months-long demonstrations sweeping the former British colony.

Versace apologised in its own official Weibo account post for the "wrong design" that incorrectly attached country names to cities. The T-shirts were taken off its shelves on July 24 and have been "destroyed," it said.

"This is our negligence and we are deeply sorry about the impact we caused," Versace said in the post, adding that it "resolutely respects China's sovereignty." - Bloomberg

The Star/Business of Fashion

#320 Benn98, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019