Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

The neck might be, but the lips aren't.
Here's a mess from earlier this year i think.

**Please don't quote images**
dailymail

I really hope he's kind of biting his lower lip while doing a slight pout or something like that because if that's his regular relaxed upper lip then...well...I have no words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dolce & Gabbana Accuses Philipp Plein of Stealing Employees

'I want to take this moment to apologize to absolutely "NOBODY" !!!!' :lol: :lol:

I'm with Phillip on this one, purely because D&G forever have a bee in their bonnet. Athough I'd never, ever be caught dead in Plein's clothes.
He's also saying he never had support from the fashion industry. I can believe that as well.

Not sure if this is the place to post this but VI is under fire for reposting one of the pictures from their Sept 2006 story on IG.

0bc03bce175d4aadb8f488afceb96928.png

70e42baf8948472aa625e8320da3bc36.png

ig

Omg.

This outrage culture is beyond outrageous.

I'd really like to see this suffocating PC culture die out this new year. It's not only exhausting at this point, but it's also so embarrassing now to those who cry foul.

In their desperate attempt to point out all that is offensive, what they're really doing is trying to silence and control as many people as possible with strict guides (that they've made up arbitrarily) of what one can and cannot say and also what one can and cannot create as an individual and as an artist.

It's sick and I'm so over it.

Dolce & Gabbana says they would dress Melania Trump

After dozens of the world's top fashion designers spoke out against dressing Melania Trump for the inauguration, it was unclear who, if anyone, would take on the task and face the harsh criticism that comes along with it. Well, with only three short weeks left until the ceremony, the answer has become clear; Over the weekend, Melania wore a Dolce & Gabbana dress to her New Year's Eve appearance in Florida, and the house's co-founder Stefano Gabbana was thrilled. In an Instagram post, he shared an image of the incoming First Lady with the caption, "Melania Trump #DGwoman thank you #madeinitaly."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO2OWuDhRo7/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO2OQ-ABHLe/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO2OMSABbPJ/

As expected, the comments section on his post instantly went into the thousands with several users criticizing his decision. Stefano immediately jumped into the conversation saying that he "doesn't care" about the backlash, and calling many who were against the Trump presidency "ignorante."

Dolce & Gabbana is no stranger to controversy. Just last year, the brand faced a #BoycottDolceGabbana trend after they made comments against gay parents having children. It remains to be seen whether or not this latest incident will incite the same reaction.

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/dolce-gabbana-melania-trump

Lol, I guess TeenVogue won't be getting any samples from now on! If they could ban Franca's VI, then nobody's safe.
Truth be told, I'm not shocked at all. Those two are such opportunists, they'd dress dictators and criminals just to get some free press. If they're hoping Melania will wear one of their dresses for the inauguration, then they've got another thing coming. It'll be an American designer, no doubt.

I'm sat here wondering at which stage D&G became so 'ignorantes'......were they always like this, even in the 90's?

Lol, I guess TeenVogue won't be getting any samples from now on! If they could ban Franca's VI, then nobody's safe.
Truth be told, I'm not shocked at all. Those two are such opportunists, they'd dress dictators and criminals just to get some free press. If they're hoping Melania will wear one of their dresses for the inauguration, then they've got another thing coming. It'll be an American designer, no doubt.

I'm sat here wondering at which stage D&G became so 'ignorantes'......were they always like this, even in the 90's?

Eh, they were probably always ignorant a**holes, it's the public social media presence that has pulled back the curtain to reveal how many awful people work in this industry.

Another commenter on instagram said something along the lines of "you're a gay man how can you suppport Trump?" :smile:lol: it's all about $$$ honey, wake up) and Stefano responded with "don't call me gay please, I'm a man, who I love it's my private life". :rolleyes:

This era is so weird...
It's impossible to express yourself without facing a backlash.

Dolce & Gabbana should dress Melania if they wants. It's their own brand, they are free to do whatever they want.
As much as i like the fact that Tom Ford refused to dress her, D&G are also free to dress her. Everybody is receiving a backlash for whatever...

I don't even want to comment on the VI thing.
People are very ineducated today...only judging the picture without thinking about the meaning of it. And it's the case for everything...

Donald Trump’s Condé Nast Meeting Draws Quiet Protest From Staff
A small group at Condé Nast staged a "fashion protest." Meanwhile, Hearst said it would welcome a visit by Trump.

President-elect Donald Trump‘s visit to One World Trade Center wasn’t welcomed by all of Condé Nast, despite the fact that he was invited to speak to top editors on Friday morning.

The off-the-record meeting on the 42nd floor drew what insiders described as a “small grassroots” protest by some women at Condé, who chose to wear white instead of the fashion uniform of black. Wearing white is a nod to the Suffragette movement, and was also a veiled reference to the campaign of Trump’s presidential rival Hillary Clinton, who donned a white pantsuit when she clinched the Democratic nomination this summer.

The subtle “fashion protest,” as it was called by sources, was also a protest against the “olive branch” that was extended to Trump by Condé Nast higher-ups following a candidacy that was denounced by many of the company’s editors in their own magazines — especially artistic director Anna Wintour. A source offered that wearing white means that they “won’t accept his way of thinking as the new normal.”

The meeting, which began at 10 a.m. and lasted about an hour, was teased by Trump 30 minutes before it was set to start.

“Anna Wintour came to my office at Trump Tower to ask me to meet with the editors of Condé Nast & Steven Newhouse, a friend. Will go this AM,” Trump tweeted.

Employees at the company also complained about having to endure security checks from the Secret Service, with some posting photos of the ordeal via social media with the hashtag #notmypresident — including Daryl Edelstein, who is executive assistant to the chairman of Advance.net who happens to be…Steven Newhouse.

Vocal Clinton supporter Wintour, who also serves as editor in chief of Vogue, was spotted going into Trump Tower last month, an occurrence that shocked many at Condé Nast. The occasion sparked rumors that Wintour was there to ease tensions or secure a shoot with Trump’s daughter Ivanka Trump for her magazine. A Vogue representative declined to comment on editorial matters, but sources said Trump has not been shot for the March issue.

On Thursday, as news broke that Trump was heading to Condé, a spokesman from the company said the invitation was extended a while ago to both candidates during the race. The company declined to comment on whether Wintour’s trip to Trump Tower included a request to come to Condé.

But back to the meeting Friday. While trying to get Conde insiders talking about the meeting was like trying to hack the Russians, insiders described the meeting as “bizarre.” It included some political questions from attendees, who included Trump’s most vocal critics – Vanity Fair editor in chief Graydon Carter (who probably didn’t ask Trump about his “short fingers”) and New Yorker editor in chief David Remnick. Neither Carter nor Remnick would comment on the meeting.

In November, broadcast journalists were criticized for agreeing to an off the record meeting at Trump Tower. Ironically, Remnick reported on the meeting. Later, the president-elect went to The New York Times, where, despite panning the paper in the past, he praised it as a “great, great American jewel” in a decidedly on-the-record interview.

The meeting Friday came shortly after Trump called the media’s focus on Russian election hacking “a political witch-hunt” in an interview he gave to The New York Times in advance of an intelligence briefing scheduled for later in the day.

Asked whether there has been any talk of Trump making an appearance at Hearst, the company said it would welcome the opportunity.

“Most every modern-day president has visited Hearst and we welcome the president-elect now or after Jan. 20. Mr. Trump has been to Hearst Tower before while taping past episodes of ‘The Apprentice,’” said Hearst vice president of marketing communications Paul Luthringer, who worked in the White House press office under George H.W. Bush.

Should Trump decide to take them up on the offer, Trump Tower is much closer to Hearst’s Columbus Circle headquarters than it is to One World Trade — not to mention very near to the Trump Hotel at Columbus Circle.

By Alexandra Steigrad
with contributions from Kara Bloomgarden-Smoke
on January 6, 2017

Source: http://wwd.com/business-news/media/...st-meeting-draws-protest-from-staff-10739414/

I have strong opinions on that subject, but IDK if I should share here...
Yes, the Trump family will get some covers and articles on the group's mags, c'mon he is the president now and CN owns a lot of huge importants publications, we all better get used to it. It doesn't mean that all the magazines will become "republicans" or something, it means that, at least, they are trying to find a way to coexist in the next four years or eight. All this fuss is so...

Good lord....all this fuss. It's really embarrassing for all those putting up the stink. It comes across as absurdly entitled and frankly a bit clueless.

What do they expect this protest to accomplish?? If you don't like that Trump met with CN, then quit.

Furthermore, I really am finding it tiresome that fashion believes it's supposed to act as some political moral standard (this, I suppose, could equally be applied to the current state of film and music as well). I really would prefer this industry of ours to get back to making better, more interesting, more beautiful clothes rather than concerning itself with being this ridiculous, self righteous faux-political, bleeding heart mess. That's not what fashion is for.

***Edited***

Just because Anna is selling out under guise of 'coexistence' should not mean they have to endorse that. And yes, it is possible to have some form of moral reckoning AND work in the fashion industry. Fashion is not some, some sphere where absolutely nothing from the real world trickle in (although you wouldn't say that by going on some designer comments).

I find this psychology of muffling discordant voices very odd and preposterous. 'If you don't like it, quit'. Smh. You'd think people would at some stage have opened a history book (and really, Americans themselves needn't even look all that far) to see how 'innocent bystanders' contributed (contributes) to some of the most appalling state of affairs!

^ right? yes to all of it...

I was giggling a bit about the zoolander vibe of the article "fashion protest! all in white, after all, hillary was spotted wearing a white pantsuit during her nomination" (lol) but, nothing personal dior_couture, your post just upgraded it to some depressing heights.

This archaic and revolting notion that fashion is just there to make "interesting, beautiful clothes" is actually what fuels its stupidity and irrelevance these days, what makes it so uninteresting and trivial for most people, even former hardcore enthusiasts like myself, because yes, not long ago you could have a nice little private world talking all day about your new rich fabrics, opulent textures, obscene prices and exclusive designs and justify in some way your isolation from sources of information and the ordinary in general. You can't do that now, and yet fashion, its whole system, hangs on to this order and is often nostalgic about "the way it used to be" and even resents its democratization. If there was some grain of humility and it acknowledged that fashion for starters is unnecessary, that nobody really needs design, let alone fashion, to survive in this world and in some 70-120 years we may have very little of it left, yeah you wish it would concern itself with something, that it had some purpose, or at least some awareness in order to express something, anything at all, as a creative outlet..

Everyone is a social being, therefore a political being.. accusing people of being faux political just because they express approval or disapproval in a work environment, though it does exemplify our current challenges with rational thinking and phenomenons like Trump, it makes no sense whatsoever. This is common in every field no matter how superior, inferior or detached you think it is from the mundane world where people concern themselves with what's around them, even ballet is outspoken about it for god's sakes.

I'm not even the kind of PC type of person, but this passive complicity, this insistence to keep a field with so much potential to be expressive and challenging in society.. mediocre and stupid in its isolation, the longing for the glamour and dreams when reality these days is juicier and easier to grasp.. if that's what fashion is for, no wonder all the dinosaurs that currently run it and endorse this mentality have it looking the way it does. I would like to know though, out of curiosity, and innate self-righteousness :stuart:, if this is past fashion's concern and not what fashion is for, same for film and music, what are the fields that can be concerned? is civil engineering okay? finances? science? do you have to work for the government?.. what is fashion for?

The truth of the matter is is that these industries are killing themselves because - yes - they are irrelevant. But they are irrelavant in the sense that they have completely lost touch with reality. They have existed in an echo chamber for far too long. What did this Condé Nast protest hope to accomplish? Very little, I believe, since the only people who will be reading (and discussing, for that matter) about this are people that already agree with them. It's such a vacuum. The world is a bigger place and there's two sides to this political story.

I do not believe fashion should be champagne and caviar while the ship is sinking. What I mean by wanting to see fashion get back to making clothes is that I'd like to see the anger and frustration we all feel for one reason or another be channeled into the work again. All the wailing and the tears and obligatory Instagram posts with the even more obligatory #notmypresident tag is not where the energy should be directed.

Put that angst and anger and frustration or whatever you are feeling into your work. Pour all of it into the work. All of it. Let it do the talking. Only then can our industry reclaim some kind of dignity and some kind of relevance. But that's not the culture of today. Today all you have to do is cry about it on social media, blame everyone else, take zero accountability for yourself, stage a protest or a march - which ends up being an Instagram photo-op more than anything else and then pat yourself of the back. I'm sick of it.

***Edited***

I apologize if my previous post was not clear enough. Ultimately the self serving posturing needs to stop. We all need to get back to work and really push ourselves to make something worthwhile, challenging, confrontational, beautiful, wondrous and inspiring again. We've done it before. We can do it again.

Moderators Note:

It's OK to talk about whether or not the fashion industry should involve itself in politics ....

However, please refrain from discussing your political views in this or any other thread in tFS. And do not discuss other people's views and comments regarding politics or politicians. We will be editing some to remove personal political views.

Thanks, everyone!

Couture season means Karl's season:cool2:

Excerpts from the latest episode of the CNBC Conversation with Tania Bryer and Karl Lagerfeld.

TB: Do you think there are not enough of the younger designers Karl - none of them seem to sketch, they are all on computers..?

KL: Yes but you know today it's very different, first of all some of the younger designers are not that young. And also you know they are art directors, I'm not an art director, so they have people and then they make a choice and then they go out after the show and make believe they did it all. It's the way every studio is organized today. But not mine.

TB: And Karl are their particular designers that you think are very good?

KL: Yeah many.

TB: Who are some of your favourites?

KL: I like Miuccia Prada because I think she is… [inaudible] And in France there are several people I like, you know it's also difficult to say because I'm friendly with so I don't really know their clothes. I like Riccardo Tisci from Givenchy a lot, I like the girl who does Chloe, what I did for over 20 years. I like Phoebe from Celine - no. no, there are many people I like uh…I like Comme des Garcon even if it's not wearable in the classic sense but I think there is a spirit and things like this.

What I don't like are designers who are fake intellectuals and who call themselves 'we are very intellectual'. No, no, no dressmaking is dressmaking. Philosophy is philosophy but you don't have to mix it.

TB: You think sometimes they take themselves too seriously?

KL: Beyond! Beyond! And I don't give you names because it wouldn't be nice, I couldn't care less.

TB: There are none that you can actually name Karl?

KL: No, no because… I don't want to - but the list is not that short!
CNBC.com

Hahahahaha, oh Karl! Never change!

Although I do think he's oddly reserved in this interview. 'The girl who does Chloe' lol, meaning she herself didnt make enough of an impression on him to recall her name.

I wonder what he thinks of Michele....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waffleninja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->