Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior [Read post #1 before posting]

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by tFS Thread Manager, Jun 22, 2018.

1. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

and Barcelona-Spain? I’m disappointed.

mikel and Benn98 like this.
  2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

See, I don't think she gets to do that. You don't profit from a knowingly totalitarian system then turn around to criticize them. Besides, I really doubt whether she herself designed the shirt and whether it was with the above sentiments in mind.

China accounts for such a huge sales percentage of almost all the top luxury brands. And faux pas like these proves that Versace and their ilk went into that country very blindly. It seems they are only concerned with how much money they can make, not the terms and conditions attached to dealing with Chinese. It's like China is Isabella Rosellini's character in Death Becomes Her, and Donatella is Meryl's. Well, actually, in more ways than one! :lol:

#322 Benn98, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    tapenerd and modela like this.
  3. Mody

Mody Member

For the Versace situation, I just feel sorry for them. I personally don't think they are to be blamed specially Donatella herself. Rather the long run, now outdated Internet segregation.
    It basically created another species on a social culture perspective.
    People live inside of China has little to no knowledge and awareness to the current state of social culture political discussion and how they are being perceived internationally even though they are always being put to the spot light regardless their views and also they have no way to defend themselves.
    After a long time being portrait as this big bad on western media and the modern enemy against democracy for a prolong period of time, it is also somewhat understandable brands nowadays has limited ways of knowing what Chinese consumers are really like.
    What interests me more is how re-occurring conflicts between east and west is going to impact culturally. I mean I never understand how brands can put only black and whilte models in their campaign and championed it as diversity.

4. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Round two: Liu Wen turns on Coach :rofl::rofl:

[​IMG]

After Versace, Now Coach Faces China Backlash Over T-Shirts
    [​IMG]

Bloomberg News
    August 12, 2019, 5:55 AM GMT+2

• Brand ambassador Liu Wen quits, calls for boycott grow

• T-shirt, like Versace one, identifies Hong Kong as a country
    Another day, another luxury brand runs afoul of political sensitivities in China.

Less than 24 hours after Versace apologized for T-shirts that defied China’s “One China policy,” American fashion label Coach is now facing backlash from Chinese consumers for a strikingly similar faux pas.

After pictures circulated online of a T-shirt allegedly sold by Coach that suggests Hong Kong and Taiwan are countries, rather than cities, calls grew over social media for a boycott of the Tapestry Inc.-owned label. Coach’s brand ambassador, Chinese supermodel Liu Wen, said Monday on Weibo that she would terminate her relationship with the brand for “seriously hurting the Chinese people’s feelings”.

Coach did not immediately respond to a request for comment. On Sunday, Versace apologized in an official Weibo post for a “wrong design”. Its T-shirts listed Hong Kong and Macau as countries, although both are special administrative regions of China. The T-shirts were taken off shelves on July 24 and have been destroyed, Versace said.

Dolce & Gabbana that showed a Chinese model struggling to eat spaghetti and pizza with chopsticks sparked outrage and a boycott of its products. Earlier this year, Leica Camera AG quickly distanced itself from a promotional video that prompted a backlash against the company in China for partially focusing on the 1989 Tiananmen Square pro-democracy protests.

The T-shirt controversy comes as sensitivities around China and Hong Kong have intensified in the past two months with anti-Beijing protests in the city in their 10th week. This weekend, demonstrations spilled over from city streets to a sit-in at the airport, the world’s third-busiest in terms of international passengers.

Versace’s Chinese brand ambassador Yang Mi, an actress known for films like Eternal Love and the Tiny Times series, said Sunday that she has ended her relationship with the Italian fashion house because it has harmed China’s sovereign and territorial integrity. Versace designer Donatella Versace apologized in a post on Instagram on Sunday for an “unfortunate error.“

Bloomberg/Popsugar/Huanqui.com

modela likes this.
  5. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I don’t get why the press try to mix this situation with D&G....
    I mean, D&G made racist remarks. It’s totally removed from the conversation.

Companies acknowledging HK and Taiwan is just a common mishap in western culture. This is a cultural and diplomatic subject.

I feel sad for Versace because they didn’t need that, particularly at this very special time for the company. The same for Coach.

And we all know that neither Stuart or Donatella had anything to do with the design of a T-Shirt.

I would like to know what happens to the stores when something like that create such a backlash.

modela, tapenerd and billiejbob like this.
  6. Pricciao

Pricciao Well-Known Member

They won't get any of that from what I've learned. The sales on the other hand probably surfer a little. It's only a small distract really.

7. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

In a perfect world I wish these brands would take a stand in support of Hong Kong, but of course the Chinese money is too vital for them to be that brave...

TommysBaby, Will Ross, modela and 2 others like this.
  8. MON

MON Well-Known Member

I dont get the brouhaha over a shirt that lists where one could find a Versace branch. Goodness.

Its a different matter if Versace released a One With HK shirt. But this?? Its too trivial to even be talked about.

Also, this should not be equated with D&G’s blunder. False equivalence tbh. D&G was downright offensive. These cases show honest to goodness errors.... come on

So is Conde Nast/Hearst offensive now since they list HONG KONG websites independently on their global websites? Check vogue.com and you can see Hong Kong listed independently from China and Taiwan

tapenerd likes this.
  9. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

10. Lax89

Lax89 Well-Known Member

So all these brands suddenly had geography t-shirts ? Since when ?
    Also, Liu Wen saying that she should be more careful with brands endorsement is a bit of a hypocrite. Coach design was from 2018 and she didn't see the problem until protests happened ? Come on ...

Will Ross, modela and tapenerd like this.
  11. Lola701

This got me thinking...
    How do Chinese people feel about Vogue Taiwan or Vogue HK.
    It seems like all of that wasn’t an issue before the current events but now, i’m confused.

Brands have always made special products for those particular places because they have a very exclusive clientele. Taiwan, HK or Macau are very special places in the luxury market.

modela, anlabe32 and Lax89 like this.
  12. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

13. billiejbob

billiejbob Active Member

Givenchy now??? Gees, this is getting out of hand!

14. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Same thoughts. However, it seems like these all blew up due to the current political climate. I have no issue with the political views of either country. Stand for what you believe in. I get and respect that. What I don't get is, how the use of these names as indication of where to find these brands suddenly became so offensive. It was never done intentionally, nor in bad faith.

Seriously, I cannot with today's prevalent "CANCEL CULTURE". Trust me, there will come a time that each and every person in this earth, both living, dead, and yet to be born, are all cancelled.

EDIT: Ha! Givenchy followed suit! What's next Google Maps? Apple? Nokia?????

#334 MON, Aug 12, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 9:07 AM
    Lax89 likes this.
  15. MON

MON Well-Known Member

PS: I currently have Bazaar China and Vogue China's (with their respective EICs) official websites and Instagram on my tabs. Curious if they'll release a statement.

16. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

Yikes. All this groveling going on is so cringey. I couldn’t read past the first several words in either apology.

MON, Frida, tapenerd and 3 others like this.
  17. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

Not even sure why a brand would have a tshirt on where you can find their shops, but that's just me. I find this ridiculous.

MON, modela, Lax89 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

No, I actually want this to continue because it's high time that these brands get a proper look at who exactly they're dealing with. I don't even blame the Mainlanders because they've always held these views, always. It may just be slightly magnified due to the political climate because they know if they let one brand get away with inadvertently insulting their 'sovereignty', what stops another from doing the same, and soon it may be a head of state and before you know it you have a full-scale revolution on hand. After all, this is the country which invented the concept of Mianzi...which means saving face. Versace, Coach and Givenchy just never bothered to take a good look at their system, and question the source of their sales.

It's not the same as cancel culture, I think. Cancel culture imo is a small pocket of SJWs or trolls banging on about either a something, a few celebs may chime in as well, and the brand turns around with a committee or charitable initiative. Case closed. In this instance, the trolls lord their proven spending potential and authorities over everyone.

The editors won't make a peep, Mon. You forget their magazines are censored, so they must kowtow to orders? If possible, any trace of these brands will be removed in the upcoming issues. I don't know about September. Maybe this time it will be more awkward because the magnitude is greater than just banning D&G. There's strength in numbers.

I just want to clarify that I am not inherently anti-Chinese at all. I actually think most people are slightly hypocritical because France also owns territories as far as Africa where they do the utmost best to squash any talk of independence. Crikey, we still own Gibaltrar, Scotland, and half of Ireland!

MON, modela and dsamg like this.
  19. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

^ and don’t get me started on the Falkland Islands or should I say, MALVINAS.

Also :lol: at the random appearance of Orange County...

Why did they all happen to have identical tshirts again..? luxury brand conspiracy?

I don’t know, they just don’t seem like such innocent mistakes.. I completely understand these mistakes happen and sometimes you just say stupid s*it as an individual (like when I told my Armenian driver about Turkey “aren’t you guys like buddies?” -cause I vaguely remember people always mentioning them together.. also it was 8 am on a Sunday, ugh).. but it just doesn’t happen that easily as a business because of whole departments with a budget solely dedicated to study, understand and target regions. Anyway, they’ll get over it, nothing gets in the way of people and their.. passion for fashion.

tapenerd likes this.
  20. Lola701

This is just another episode of power dynamics. I think it would have been better if it was handle on a more discreet way. I feel like today we have this bandwagon, the outrage and then it all goes back to normal.
    I mean, Liu Wen is distancing herself from a brand but she already got her check, her free goodies and signed a contract. In a few weeks, it’s fashion week and it will be interesting to see if she can pass on Givenchy, Versace or Coach... particularly Givenchy as it is attached to LVMH.

It could have been more simple to ask to the brands to remove the products from the stores. Simple as that!

I’m sure next year or a bit later, all those brands will do special events or held their Shows in HK to court the clientele that might have felt disrespected.

Brands should stick to logo t-shirts!

Lax89 likes this.