Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Phillip Plein is ruthless. I kinda like his way of doing.
He is tacky and so is his brand but with his money, he is doing whatever he wants.
He hired Carine to have some High Fashion credibility, he pays celebs to wear his clothes and attend his shows and he has no shame copying Wang, hiring people from Dolce & Gabbana...etc.

Wang should not forget that here on TFS, we have a huge record of him copying Tom Ford and Nicolas Ghesquiere. He needs to chill...

Le chat chapoté...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cringe. Even if he was copied, he should have acted a bit professional for the sake of being a designer. Posting Tumblr memes? Really?

Phillip Plein is ruthless. I kinda like his way of doing.
He is tacky and so is his brand but with his money, he is doing whatever he wants.
He hired Carine to have some High Fashion credibility, he pays celebs to wear his clothes and attend his shows and he has no shame copying Wang, hiring people from Dolce & Gabbana...etc.

:lol: I also like his OTT type of personality (in a schadenfreude kind of way), and he's got as much scruples as a Wall Street banker. But throwing shade at Plein is really senseless because everybody knows what he's about. I'd have preferred Wang to jab at Nicolas or any of the others who slammed him during his short and uneventful Balenciaga tenure.

I'm completely Team Karl on this one!!

Lagerfeld: Meryl Streep Passed On Oscar Dress When Chanel Refused to Pay

"A genius actress, but cheapness also, no?”

By Bridget Foley on February 23, 2017

What might Meryl Streep wear to the Oscars? Cross Chanel off the list.

It seems that Streep was quite taken with an embroidered gray silk gown from Karl Lagerfeld’s most recent couture collection for the house. The dress was ordered, with Streep requesting an adjustment to the design — a higher neckline. Done. Such personalization is what couture is all about, along with exquisite execution, and, in the case of Chanel, Lagerfeld’s design brilliance. What more could the world’s greatest living actress want for Hollywood’s biggest night?

Turns out, she wants a paycheck. With work on the dress well underway in Chanel’s atelier, word came from Streep’s camp to cease and desist. “I made a sketch, and we started to make the dress,” Lagerfeld told WWD. Days later, a phone call came in from a member of Streep’s camp. “’Don’t continue the dress. We found somebody who will pay us,’” Lagerfeld quoted the messenger.
Meryl Streep

Chanel, he noted, has a policy of not paying celebrities to wear its clothes, apparently even those of the “greatest living” ilk. That’s not to say there’s no expense involved, both in terms of valuable hours clocked by the artisans of the atelier and the bottom line. “After we gift her a dress that’s 100,000 euros [$105,000], we found later we had to pay [for her to wear it]. We give them dresses, we make the dresses, but we don’t pay,” Lagerfeld said.

As for the dress that won’t make it into the Dolby Theatre on Sunday night, as far as Lagerfeld and Chanel are concerned, it still has Streep’s name on it. “She could keep the dress because of the size,” Lagerfeld said. “It’s couture. It’s perfect for her.”

Very disappointing, Lagerfeld lamented, “A genius actress, but cheapness also, no?”

Streep’s reps did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Thursday.

Source: http://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/karl-lagerfeld-chanel-meryl-streep-passed-on-oscar-dress-when-chanel-oscar-dress-10817502/

Actors and actresses really live in their own little bubble world, don't they ? She seems so humble but I guess she's just a regular snobbish actress ?
Funny how this actress is fighting for equality but she doesn't value the work of "les petites mains".

YIKES... also on team Karl.
Ugh hopefully it wasn't actually Meryl that said that she wanted to be paid...

Woah :shock:

I am not sure whether I side with Karl on calling her out or not. You can argue that it's unprofessional to air a celebrity client's dirty underwear in the press but then again it's Karl Lagerfeld, who we all know has no filter and gets away with more than anyone else. It sure casts a new light on the persona of Meryl Streep though. I am appalled that she or her team would cancel an already made Chanel couture dress to wear a lesser name who will pay her.

Lagerfeld must have been really pissed to air that! Truth is that in every couture house they spend a lot of time, and even stop the collections, to create dresses for 'celebrities'.

I remember I had to work more than two weeks in a dress for a very A-list celebrity and she never wore it. -_- So much money and time invested for nothing. And then I was super late with my work for the couture. I can't stand her since then. :angry:

YIKES... also on team Karl.
Ugh hopefully it wasn't actually Meryl that said that she wanted to be paid...

Meryl will probably spin this into some 'I didn't know about anything about it, it's all on my stylist', but she had to know. Of course the stylist gets a cut for brokering the deal, but she's fully aware of every step, I'm sure. They probably thought the fee will be set off against the cost of the dress, so shrewd! :lol:

Other than Meryl, some of Micaela Erlanger's clients are Lupita (probably her biggest cash cow), Michelle Dockery, Winona, Gal Gadot etc. She must be making a tidy sum with these women.

Thing is, Karl feels spurned. And quite right too. You get a COUTURE dress and still hold out your hand for money before you actually put it on? Preposterous. Meryl was also a fan of Balenciaga under Nicolas and Lanvin under Alber. Both had to customise the looks due to her shape. I can only imagine all the machinations which went on bts.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's kind of tacky and cheap of Karl within itself to make those comments, that's ALL her camp said... "Don’t continue the dress. We found somebody who will pay us."

I doubt that and I'm sure he's just nitpicking a quote. He could have made a little comment on the side when having a conversation or an interview but to bother to make a press release about it to WWD a couple of days before the Oscars? His words and actions sound quite bitter. She was probably going to be their golden goose at the award show and since she pulled out, they won't make much of an appearance.

Anyways, she can wear whatever she wants, maybe she could have worn it to an after party. The tacky part is him revealing "We found somebody who will pay us." Basically slandering whoever she does choose to wear.

I'm not surprised in a way, it's cringeworthy. A lot of famous people have already loads of money and only want more. :wacko:

Thanks Benn98 for the article. Always entertaining/interesting what Karl is going to say next.

No problem, Nymphaea!! :wub:

........ and she never wore it.

In most cases the stylist will line up at least three different dresses, and the celebrity will take her pick. This is not uncommon, especially for an Oscar nominee or presenter. All the time and money wasted is of no consequence to them.

Thanks for mentioning Micaela, Benn98. That brings me to a very important question - what exactly was she thinking? Since she already commissioned a custom made Chanel couture gown she should have advised Meryl and her team that it wouldn't be smart to back out a few days before the Oscars; especially not with that excuse. Unless she specifically gave the excuse in the hope that Chanel would agree to shell out the same sum. But then she has already worked with Chanel before, most notably for Lupita, and should have been aware of Chanel's policy. I doubt Chanel would dress any of her present or future clients after this.

In most cases the stylist will line up at least three different dresses, and the celebrity will take her pick. This is not uncommon, especially for an Oscar nominee or presenter. All the time and money wasted is of no consequence to them.

I know it's not uncommon, my colleagues have to deal with that all the time. But it was my first time working for a celebrity (I just don't do that cause I don't like it at all, it's too cheap for me :cool:).

The fact is that in this case she saw the sketches of the CD, she was okey with them and it wasn't even a reinterpretation of something of a past collection, which is easier, it was a totally new design. I had to do toiles, search for the fabrics, embroideries... And since I lost two weeks for nothing, staying till 12 on weekends and after that I had to rush with my normal tasks, I was obviously really pissed and I totally get why KL was too. I think Chanel doesn't get this kind of treatment as often as other HC brands do.

But the problem comes from above. If I was in charge of that I would make celebrities pay. And who on Earth stops a fashion collection for a celebrity... And yeah, considering they spend millions for the set or the afterparty, it's not much about the money, but if it was my own brand I just would never do that. If someone wants something, just buy it, like normal classy clients do.

MERYL STREEP SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT ON KARL LAGERFELD'S PAY TO WEAR COMMENTS
A representative tells THR the claim is absolutely false.

On Thursday, WWD reported that Meryl Streep turned down a custom couture Chanel creation after the fashion house refused to pay her to wear it.

Bridget Foley reports that Streep, who is up for a best actress Oscar on Sunday, her 20th nomination, had her eye on an embroidered gray silk number from Lagerfeld's most recent couture collection, and asked for the neckline to be customized. She writes that the fashion house had begun production on the dress when a call came through in which Streep's camp reportedly said, according to Lagerfeld, "'Don’t continue the dress. We found somebody who will pay us.'"

Streep's team, however, absolutely refutes that claim.

A representative for the actress tells The Hollywood Reporter that the statement is absolutely false, and that it is against her personal ethics to be paid to wear a gown on the red carpet. Chanel did not immediately return THR's request for comment.
hollywoodreporter.com

So who's lying? :shock:

Damage control! So Meryl's team are calling Karl a liar to his face, which is brazen. Because Bridget's source isn't some Chanel PR exec, it's actually Karl. And WWD isn't PageSix either. I'm interested to see how this pans out.

Wow, what a mess already.

If the story is true, I'm absolutely on team Karl. And frankly I don't see why he would make a press release stating something absolutely false. However, speaking of class, I don't think the bitterness the statement conveys (not necessarily calling her out per se) is very classy.

I still can't believe Meryl and her team would behave like this. Putting the relationship to one of the most important fashion houses at risk, just for a little money that won't even make much of a difference on Meryl's yearly paycheck? It's beyond me why she would do this, let alone her stylist who has worked with Chanel before and surely doesn't want to be at war with the house.
Maybe a misunderstanding of some sort?

Eh... I find WAY more believable that Karl is being drama queen than Meryl freaking Streep of all people wanting money to wear a dress. Sorry but I just don't buy it. For me, they were indeed in talks to work on the dress, but Meryl and her stylist decided to go for another option (which sure it sucks for Chanel but i'm sure that happens a lot in the red carpet game), and Karl got bitter and decided to retaliate by bad mouthing her to the press and "embellishing" the situation.

Wouldn't pass the fact that they had adapt the dress for a, uhm, real woman body contributed to his anger too.

I don't think Karl would lie like that. Propably Meryl's team is doing damage control. And money are always money, no matter how many you have you always want more and if they pay them well and they offer a good dress why not? Also don't forget that ok Meryl may not be in desperate need of money but the stylist propably also getting paid and she may want them more!

It's going to be juicy. Karl will say something sooner or later.
This can be a misunderstanding between Meryl's team and the Chanel team. I highly doubt that someone talked to Karl personally.
And, i also doubt that Karl had a special interview with Foley just to talk about that...This must have been mentionned in a random conversation about the oscars and everything. The whole thing feels like a random discussion...

This type of things happens sometimes but i can understand why Karl was upset about it. Nathalie Portman many years ago choose to wear Rodarte instead of Chanel at the last minute but Karl did not talk about it. It's not a question of being bitter about someone not wearing his creation...I don't think he cares. He can dress who ever he wants. Janelle Monae will probably wear Chanel...

Wouldn't pass the fact that they had adapt the dress for a, uhm, real woman body contributed to his anger too.

Most of the couture clients are not model size at all. So changing a design is nothing new for Karl.
Princess Caroline is a "real woman" (i don't know what that means) and she always wears Haute Couture. The same for SHeikha Mozah or Mouna Ayoub...

On a side note: If i was Meryl, i would have kept the dress. A free Chanel Couture dress?^_^:wub:
I hope she will keep the dress even if she doesn't wear it for the Oscars

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->