Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

^It's both funny and sad that a 55-year-old man has the mental maturity of a toddler.

Finally. This agency should have been closed years ago. Glad the employees are able to get new jobs and that Santos created Anti. Wish him all the best.

Stefano Gabbana accuses Chanel of copying.

He must really think highly of himself to believe that you need that much inspiration to do that.
Do anyone except for Zuhair Murad pays attention to D&G?
To do a that heel doesn't really required that much research. Get a life Stefano!

Lmao at Janelle Okwodu being shadier than a palm tree on a sunny day.

jSAeflj2.png

screenshot by me from vogue.com

It'd say Gucci since the title, intentionally or not, implies that Gucci looks otherwise bad.

And everyone else who's been wearing the brand before Jada! :lol: Especially Beyonce, who always looks so God-awful in it.

That said, it's still a bit random because Jada isn't exactly a fashion force.

And everyone else who's been wearing the brand before Jada! :lol: Especially Beyonce, who always looks so God-awful in it.

That said, it's still a bit random because Jada isn't exactly a fashion force.

Well we all know what happens to a designer piece when Beyonce wears it. :blink:

:lol:

:shock: I know this is one of the very few industries where this narcissistic type of behaviour is actually encouraged, but yikes!

Meet Chen Man, the ‘Chinese Annie Leibovitz’

By VALERIYA SAFRONOVA
MAY 10, 2017

The next breakout star from China is not an actress or a pop idol, but rather a photographer. Signed in 2016 by Creative Artists Agency, home of Meryl Streep, Will Smith and Jennifer Lopez, Chen Man has already drawn comparisons to Mario Testino and Annie Leibovitz. Ms. Chen, known for her high-wattage clients and a dramatic, vivid style that melds contemporary Chinese imagery with historical symbols and spaces, was honored last Sunday in New York at the China Fashion Gala, an annual event co-hosted by the China Institute and the China Beauty Charity Fund. The gala benefits a design competition and a scholarship at the Fashion Institute of Technology, with an advisory board this year that included Valentino Garavani, Vivienne Tam, Christian Louboutin and Zang Toi.

Ms. Chen, 36, began her career in 2003 while working on her bachelor’s degree at the Central Academy of Fine Arts in Beijing with a series of rich, striking covers for Vision, a Chinese fashion magazine. She has photographed Rihanna, Victoria Beckham and Nicole Kidman for the Chinese versions of Vogue, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar and Grazia, and works regularly with such Chinese stars as Fan Bingbing, Li Bingbing and Zhang Ziyi. For a glimpse into her background as a painter, how she compares to Ms. Leibovitz, and the place of Chinese art on a global stage, read on.

Q. How did you end up working as a photographer?

A. My parents sent to me to professional children’s painting classes since I was 3 years old. While other children went on holiday, I was always painting. I always stared at people. People were actually uncomfortable about that. I used to want to draw court portraits, like for the wanted posters. I’m still painting a lot.

The reason I majored in photography is that I trained too much as a painter, so when I went to college, I wanted to start something new. And I like to be in contact with real people, not just be indoors and not go out.

Because I drew people a lot in my childhood, I’m very attuned to details. When I shoot celebrities, I make them look better. So for most of the top-of-the-line celebrities, I became the top choice. If you Google “Who is the Chinese Annie Leibovitz?” you will find me.

Speaking of Annie Leibovitz, how would you compare her work to yours?

I have more of a fusion style. Annie Leibovitz shoots more reality, documentary. I like more drama. I went to a school for theater and worked as a graphic designer to earn extra money before going to Central Academy of Fine Arts. I’m a painter and a graphic designer as well as a photographer. I use a lot of postproduction.

I want to show what contemporary China is and what contemporary Chinese beauty is. I did several shoots for i-D magazine. I was a special editor on one issue, so I used models of different Chinese races for the covers. People think Chinese look the same, but we are kind of like the Americans. We have 56 different races.

A few years ago, I shot models with the type of face that was not popular in China at the time. We call it the Asian face. Not the girl with big eyes, white skin, not so sweet, but the real Asian woman. And I shot them in contemporary Chinese scenes, like the Great Wall, Shanghai Bund and Tiananmen Square.

Who are the celebrities you work with the most?

I shoot them all, all the time. I kind of came up with Fan Bingbing, Li Bingbing, Zhang Ziyi. And right now I’m shooting what we call the ‘fresh meat’ actors. I have shot Nicole Kidman, Victoria Beckham, Benedict Cumberbatch. The age range is wide. Sometimes I’m shooting four covers a day.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/fashion/meet-chen-man-the-chinese-annie-leibovitz.html?_r=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Favorite part of the interview is definitely the announcement of her currently in development "short-video-based app"

Is she not aware of Snapchat (Or other similar apps)?? :lol:

It's possible that Snapchat access in China is limited, it's hard to get on to Facebook there as well. She might want to be making something that can tap in to her home market more capably? :smile:

Oh gosh! Well she's got obviously more than enough love for herself. :wacko:

It's possible that Snapchat access in China is limited, it's hard to get on to Facebook there as well. She might want to be making something that can tap in to her home market more capably? :smile:

Oh good point! Forgot about China's restrictions on certain social media. Well, that'll be extremely clever on Chen Man's part if she succeeds then.

Let's just hope she doesn't anoint herself as the woman who brought Snapchat to China.

I remember seeing that headline on my Facebook feed and thinking, "why is everyone gotta be the new everyone else? she should just be herself", thinking it was the magazine who came up with the headline. Clearly, I shouldn't have bothered with the sympathy. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->