Designer Quote Of The Week

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
082004_19.jpg

:heart: Quote of the Week :heart:

“I see enormously fat people walking around in restaurants — and not cheap restaurants — in Bermuda shorts and flip-flops with big stomachs sticking out. We’re in a time where people don’t have much self-esteem, because how could they go out looking like that?” :lol:

Arnold Scaasi, discussing his new book

“Women I Have Dressed (And Undressed).”

from wwd :flower:

Well, I'm guessing comments like that don't help their self esteem much.

Originally posted by Spike413@Aug 23 2004, 08:41 AM
Well, I'm guessing comments like that don't help their self esteem much.
[snapback]342470[/snapback]​

Would you prefer, "You look great honey!"

Maybe he's trying to be witty but making fun of fat people just makes him look like an *** in a tux:

scaasi.jpg

However I'll agree the masses don't care about their appearance. Going to Costco, sure, you expect people to look like they rolled out of bed. But I spend a lot of time in court and the people look the same--there's just no sense of attempting to look presentable anymore. I'm not talking about a construction worker that came straight from the job site. I'm talking about people that are a telephone call away from Jerry Springer. I don't know if this has anything to do with self-esteem or probably just apathy. I always make sure my shoes are shined, I mean that speaks volumes.

i really dont think he makes fun out of fat people,

i believe he just stresses that some women really go out looking horrible, and i can't agree more

(even though in Europe we dont really see much of the "in Bermuda shorts and flip-flops with big stomachs sticking out" look... it so reminds me of my astonishment of past trips to Florida)

Originally posted by faust@Aug 23 2004, 09:17 AM
Would you prefer, "You look great honey!"
[snapback]342502[/snapback]​
No, of course not, he shouldn't say anything, especially when he has quite the double chin.

This is funny because what he says is true, but not so easy to take coming from mr-michelin-tire-neck...I suppose he feels entitled since he's covered himself up in nice suits.

Truth be told...I've never seen so much slovenly dressed people as here in the united states such a wealthy nation lacking in pride.

My relatives from Europe and the Caribbean always comment about the disappointing sloppiness here when they visit us in the States.

Originally posted by marrimoda@Aug 23 2004, 09:43 AM
This is funny because what he says is true, but not so easy to take coming from mr-michelin-tire-neck...I suppose he feels entitled since he's covered himself up in nice suits.

Truth be told...I've never seen so much slovenly dressed people as here in the united states such a wealthy nation lacking in pride.

My relatives from Europe and the Caribbean always comment about the disappointing sloppiness here when they visit us in the States.
[snapback]342530[/snapback]​

it's a painful subject with me <sigh>.

Originally posted by Lena@Aug 23 2004, 09:29 AM
i really dont think he makes fun out of fat people,

i believe he just stresses that some women really go out looking horrible, and i can't agree more

(even though in Europe we dont really see much of the "in Bermuda shorts and flip-flops with big stomachs sticking out" look... it so reminds me of my astonishment of past trips to Florida)
[snapback]342518[/snapback]​

lena...women don't really dress like that...i believe he's referring to men with that statement...typical male american tourist...i picture a fat bald white guy with a big belly...
and my least fave thing...a baseball cap...
:sick:

I think they have enough self-esteem to go out dressed like that :unsure:

I just think that they dont know any better...their social circle dresses the same and hey see nothing wrong, whether they are in the US or visiting other shores. Im not referring to someone just out running errands btw.

Originally posted by Spike413@Aug 23 2004, 09:36 AM
No, of course not, he shouldn't say anything, especially when he has quite the double chin.
[snapback]342526[/snapback]​

but mr. scaasi, double chin and all, dresses impeccably. he's making a comment about men of size AS a man of size...i don't know who better can offer this advice because if someone like tom ford said this, the immediate reaction would be "well that's easy for someone like you to say"

i don't think he's really making fun of fat people, if that was his attention, Mr. Scassi please count your chins. he is right though! :P

I've been to a few countries in Europe... and I've seen sloppy people there too... I don't think sloppiness is exclusive to the US... But maybe that's just my opinion. :P

I want to offer a different perspective. What he has said has offended me slightly... because women of that size can also be found on nude beaches as well. I think us as a society need to find beauty in everyone. To me the clothes don't matter and that sounds kinda funny because I dress men and women for a living. Rather than noticing someone's belly, is it so hard to notice the good characteristics of that person rather than be judgemental? I think in my lifetime I've seen a lot of really ugly men and women, but I couldn't tell you who it was. I guess I have because of others's comments. But if you go your life critiquing everybody, you will find that everybody does not ever dress as well as you think they should, there nose is never as straight as you think it should be, their thighs are never thin enough, their skin is never perfect enough and you will find ugliness everywhere. I say that because that's how I use to be, the constant search of a woman of perfection. And I know MANY women who spend their life making comments about others, when they should be like the guy above and look in the mirror first before ever attempting to say hurtful things.

One day I got tired of seeing faults in people and was more allured by interesting characteristics. The last thing I notice is someone's weight... instead I notice characteristics that they have that I don't that I find interesting. Always checking out women, no matter what size or amount of beauty they do not possess, and see what I wish I had that they do.

I was working a fashion show and a man from the crowd came up to me and asked me to tell him girlfriend that she was sexy. She was a little upset watching all these beautiful models come strutting down the runway and seeing everybody captivated by their beauty. She told her boyfriend, after he kissed her and told her how beautiful he thinks she is, how she is not. He grabbed me as I was running backstage and asked me to tell her that she's not ugly and that if I think she is a sexy woman. I looked at her... and told her she shouldn't be so concerned with the models. I gave her a good look and you know what... she was a sexy woman and I thought she was beautiful. I told her so and I meant it and ran backstage to get back to work. Maybe she was a whole of four feet tall and about 140 pounds, but she had it going on and it makes me so sad that people don't think they are sexy unless they are 5'10" 110 pounds, blonde, and a model.

Dunno, just what popped in my head when I read this. Take care everyone.

:smile:

I think that's a good outlook. It's almost impossible not to critique others and make judgements. I guess, just try to be more accepting than critical when around other people.

i really dont think he's talking about fat but about taste ... :alien:

Not every man, or even every person, is going to take pride in their appearance and have style and be well groomed.

If everyone spent time and money on their appearance, and didn't wear Bermuda, well, looking sophisticated wouldn't be so special then. :smile:

I am both sides of the fence here. I for one try to look decent to good all the time. That means neat and half way put together. You can be the fattest person alive and look great, look at Ferre.

But in my family and yours many Americans, and others as I been around the world,
simply do not care,even with tons of money. There was a time here in america when everyone tried to look their best, poor or rich. The poor dressed up on weekends cause they wore their work clothes all week and wanted to visit family and friends or go to movie or get a soda. People used to dress to ride a train or take a flight. I say
we are getting way to lazy. Just as appearance is important so is moral fiber and ethics ( Some other things that seem to go by the wayside as we gain more and more freedom to be who and what we want to be). But we are free to make up our minds as to what to wear, who to sleep with, which reastuarant to eat in. It seems with all the gains in personal and legal rights we tend to let other great qualities about our culture slip away. Like treating others as you would want to be treated, smiling, saying hello or thank you, getting up for an elderly person to sit down on a train or bus, not cursing in front of your elders( whether you know them or not). I believe if some these things we tend to forget were not forgotten, we just may even care a little more about how we present ourselves, cause we would feel good about ourselves and others.

OK maybe this turned into a rant, but I meant what I said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->