Designer Quote Of The Week

i so agree clay, people dont understand that taking care of the waay they look is basic into building up their own -and other's- mood.

it is a self respect issue, its not a matter of money really.
i've seen too many poor people looking like they take care of
the way they look, its a cultural thing, really.

even the poorest immigrants here wouldnt be caught dead in bermudas and flip flops when out for dinner.

“I see enormously fat people walking around in restaurants — and not cheap restaurants — in Bermuda shorts and flip-flops with big stomachs sticking out. We’re in a time where people don’t have much self-esteem, because how could they go out looking like that?

Sloppiness comes in all forms, body shapes, colors, etc.

I dunno, the fact that he's emphasizing these "enormously fat people"...seems awkward...Yes -- if anyone can talk about obesity -- he can. But I would find the statement more productive had he left the fat part out.

I think overall we are seeing a loss of pride. People dont care about the impression they make with their manners, their speech, their scandals.

The bermudas dont bother me at all...its the lack of respect for moments and places and people.

*But I would find the statement more productive had he left the fat part out. *

i agree, completly

hi there...just to let you know...i'm abut to be politically incorrect here...so skip this if you're super sensitive...

however...

i think the FAT part is part of his point...the fact that one is fat is a sign that they do not care enough about themselves to excercise and eat right...they are engaging in self -destructive behaviour by eating too much of the wrong thing and not caring if their health suffers as a result...

so imho...the fat part is a vital part of his statement...it shows a lack of self-control, self-respect and self-esteem...

and i'm not referring to an extra 20-30 pounds...but to the 'enormously fat' people out there...

just keeping it real... :ninja: :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 26 2004, 11:56 PM
hi there...just to let you know...i'm abut to be politically incorrect here...so skip this if you're super sensitive...

however...

i think the FAT part is part of his point...the fact that one is fat is a sign that they do not care enough about themselves to excercise and eat right...they are engaging in self -destructive behaviour by eating too much of the wrong thing and not caring if their health suffers as a result...

so imho...the fat part is a vital part of his statement...it shows a lack of self-control, self-respect and self-esteem...

and i'm not referring to an extra 20-30 pounds...but to the 'enormously fat' people out there...

just keeping it real... :ninja: :innocent:
[snapback]346445[/snapback]​

I couldn’t agree more. :unsure:

I agree, softgrey.

(Of course, if you want to get specific, you must take into the account the people with disorders and such who cannot help it.)

Originally posted by AlexN@Aug 26 2004, 05:19 PM
I agree, softgrey. 

(Of course, if you want to get specific, you must take into the account the people with disorders and such who cannot help it.)
[snapback]346480[/snapback]​

there is treatment available for people with physical ailments such as thyroid problems should they choose to seek it out...

but seriously...a tremendous ammount of this is will power...plain and simple...discipline...

There's research that indicates that if you're chubby as a child your fat cells can be 'expanded' and you're more likely to put on weight in later life. So if a child is fed crap by their parents they might find it a lot more difficult to eat properly when they grow up...

Also there must be some kind of genetic component to it because I had slight issues with chocolate consumption last year, I ate about 200 grams a day for a month or two, and remained absolutely rake-thin bone-and-muscle.

But you're right, lack of self-control (especially on a subconcious level caused by stress, self-loathing etc.) does have a part to play :flower:

Quote of the Week

“The gift bag alone will be the talk of the convention.” :lol:

— The declaration by Barneys New York on its invitation to GOP delegates to attend a cocktail party at the store on Monday

from wwd of today

What are bermudas??? Here in Aust we call flip-flops thongs.. yes thats right.. theres 2 types of textiles/accessories that can be called thongs.

Originally posted by versace@Aug 27 2004, 06:03 AM
What are bermudas??? Here in Aust we call flip-flops thongs.. yes thats right.. theres 2 types of textiles/accessories that can be called thongs.
[snapback]346871[/snapback]​
Bermuda's are shorts

Originally posted by versace@Aug 27 2004, 06:03 AM
[snapback]346871[/snapback]​

um...hello...we call them thongs too... :lol: :innocent:
flip flops are the rubber things you wear to the beach... :flower:

check out inspiration soup... :lol:
or melon mousse B)
or caucasian shashlik :rolleyes:

too too funny...~!!!! :clap:

...and many more...

OMG :rofl: :lol:

That Caucasian Shashlik is ******** :lol:

THat also shows us how body contious people are these days, I wish that WW would have that diet plan now, I would be signing up first in line :lol:

fluffy mackeral pudding

My fat Finley wouldn't even touch that. :meow:

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 26 2004, 06:26 PM
there is treatment available for people with physical ailments such as thyroid problems should they choose to seek it out...

but seriously...a tremendous ammount of this is will power...plain and simple...discipline...
[snapback]346486[/snapback]​
and money.

Also, thyroid is not the only disease that causes overweight, there are many ones such as Cushing' Syndrome and genetics, which are far more determinant in your body health rather than the amount of discipline, self-esteem or self-control you may have.

Originally posted by MulletProof@Aug 27 2004, 12:42 PM
and money.

Also, thyroid is not the only disease that causes overweight, there are many ones such as Cushing' Syndrome and genetics, which are far more determinant in your body health rather than the amount of discipline, self-esteem or self-control you may have.
[snapback]347123[/snapback]​
that is obviously true...but listing every ailment which causes weight gain is fruitless...and those are the minority...

we don't suddenly have hundreds of thousands of more people with these diseases than we used to...we just now have a lot of fat people...

and it's true that if you eat crap and feed your kid crap...your kid will have a hard time maintaining a healthy weight in the future...so it's really a form of child abuse and i don't think it should be overlooked...it's abusive ...and it's lazy parenting...cause it's easier to give the kid the candy to stop crying than it is to discipline them... and then you wind up with an adult with no self-discipline...

this is a cultural phenomenon...not a physical ailment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->