Designers That Should Stop What They Are Doing...

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by fasionlover22, Jun 9, 2003.

1. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Ten quid, far as I'm concerned. I'm the dark creature that lives in the sales room.

2. PrinceOfCats

Is it this hype crap? People want to own something Dior so they pick the cheapest. It's like going to a swish restaurant and ordering the bottom of the wine list - you're almost certainly drinking £5 cat's wee from Tescos.

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah New Member

It's good to know, thank you :D

4. faust

faust New Member

Not the Helmut Lang I know :p . The Helmut I know earned his fame for a well cut suit and for bringing his minimalist style, same as Jil Sander. The jeans and sweatshirts came much later and never became Helmut's signature like they are becoming Hedi's for example -- at least not in my book.

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah New Member

Well, for me Helmut Lang Jeans was the best diffusion line ever... I do believe he managed to update clean-cut basics and make people actually pay for expensive cotton jumpers with no visible logos...

ok, it's true: these were the cheapest items.... :innocent:

PS: shall we name margiela's menswear here? how much can you pay for four little stitches in the back?

6. faust

faust New Member

You bet :flower: Although I'm a sucker for those stitches, I've never bought (and never will) Margiela at retail.

7. PrinceOfCats

Hah, I'm an ebay baby for Margiela. No-one seems to like his stuff on UK ebay.

8. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Oh MMM really had quite alot of "unique" basics before the end of it all. It was such a departure to what he's doing now.

But as far as basics are concerned,it's all part of this epidemic of not dressing with thought. People want to dress as easily as possible.

9. faust

faust New Member

I've been thinking about this lately, Scott. I decided that "dressing easy" has become a defense for those who have no sense of aesthetics. Substitute "ugly" with "easy" and you have a neat readily available excuse.

10. sea of stitches

sea of stitches New Member

^ :lol: so true, faust, so true.

and scott, i know what you mean about bw. i have been really disappointed with the quality of his recent embroidery and i think he should sort himself out.

11. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

^Me too. I dunno what's going on with him but somehow ever since he moved to Paris,I've noticed this drastic change in his aesthetic. Just a theory,I know,but maybe since he started hanging out with the fashion elitists and hipsters he's got caught up in it all and somehow has deluded him. Antwerp I think kept him grounded and focused...and I noticed it in the quality of his work.

OMG,I cannot agree more with your sentiment,Faust!

12. faust

faust New Member

Thanks,

And while you are at it, move Dirk Bikkembergs back to Antwerp too, PLEASE! Milan messed his head up completely.

13. sea of stitches

I think you are on to something Scott. I didn't know what year he moved to Paris so I just looked through my book to see if I could tell. I totally guessed correctly! His s/s 2002 collection was quite low compared to previous collections. Although I have enjoyed collections post-move to Paris, they have not been of the same attention to detail. As a business move, it is unfortunate to have to lower the quality of one's work. I think he definitely compromised that right away. But, his questionable aesthetics have only showed up recently for me.

14. travolta

travolta New Member

ah, faust it seems to be a never ending debate between us! :lol:

i can see what you are saying. but saying one doesn't have a sense of aesthetics is rather broad don't you think? sometimes i feel like dressing up and sometimes i feel like dressing easy and playing around, and possibly *gasp* dressing kinda ugly. it's much more fun to play around w/ different combinations and just experiment. it can be a chore to be fashionable don't you think?

15. Diorling

Diorling New Member

Ya, cK Jeans. In America (the mens at least) is soo nice, super minimalist, not that whole Kenneth Cole look they started doing. Simple fabrics and nice cuts. Little to no labeling, except on maybe the screened t-shirts. I really like it, it's bit expensive. We probably get different collections, though it doesnt make sense. Maybe cK in Spain is a license.

16. Diorling

Diorling New Member

Like this: :sick:

17. sea of stitches

hmm, i know what you are saying travolta. i have some pretty garish clothing that i am really into. there is a lot of irony going on in my house. i am sometimes really into it, and sometimes pretty over it. but, in any case, i think there's good ugly (which doesn't always have to be ironic, but a lot of stems from irony, i believe) and bad ugly. i took faust's "easy dressing" as bad ugly as in leisure wear. but that may just be my personal definition.

18. orlem

orlem New Member

I was going to say the same thing. Wearing your hot pink matching sweatsuit to the store is a little different than having a lazy fashion day.

19. Jeremiah

Jeremiah New Member

i think one of the most annoying phenomenons regarding all this is all the "ironic preppy" thing. Like, it's so funny to wear pink argyle...

But i guess that's the typical banalisation of a trend... i do believe basics and preppy were in a way provocative some few seasons ago. Same as non-color in menswear now

20. faust

faust New Member

you hit the essense of it, more or less. saves my typing time :D