Designers That Should Stop What They Are Doing...

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by fasionlover22, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Rhizm

Rhizm New Member

I do not completely agree with the Margiela criticism. Usually with Margiela there's (a bit) more going on than just the 4 stiches. Usually he has some bizar way of sewing things together, uses a weird way of attaching a collar onto an otherwise basic shirt, knits a sweater so that it looks all fluffy but when you take a closer look you see it's just a patern woven into it. I like his stuff and often don't mind paying the money for it.

2. faust

faust New Member

in the artisanal lines, maybe. but it's a rare case for his regular clothes.

3. Rhizm

Rhizm New Member

I am talking about his 10 line, not even his 0-10 (wich is the artisanal mens line and is indeed much more experimental). But usually, even the Margiela 10 clothes have some subtle eyecatching detail that give them that unusual twist.
    I appreciate that in designwear; it does not have to be all flashy and special, I prefer basic clothes that stand out because of their concept and their precise cutting and detail, their use of quality fabrics and the fact that they fall exactly as they should. And Margiela's clothes definitely answer to those standards for me.

4. faust

faust New Member

Then I guess we are looking at different Margiela's stock, because I see it in very few cases, and the items I own are mostly just as simple as mass market stuff (granted that i pay very little for them). I forgot when was the last time I saw a Margiela item that deserved a premium price it asked for. In Margiela I don't even see the outstanding quality of fabrics that Veronique Branqhuino supplies in her also fairly basic men's collections. Margiela's quality is all right, but pales in comparison with most Belgian designers.

5. travolta

travolta New Member

i meant by dressing ugly as in not trying to be ugly, but trying to experiment w/ different combinations. for me, it isn't about irony at all, but just having a limited amount of clothing and trying to pull out some new inspiring outfits! i feel it is much more fun and creative to approach clothing playfully.
    that said, i don't think dressing ironically is anymore a sin than trying to dress fashionable, because irony seems to be fashionable these days? in the end they are both contrived. i can see how leisure wear is seen as ugly and even lazy dressing, but not everyone has the lifestyle, time or the breeding to understand 'aesthetics' in the strict sense. and maybe they just don't care about looking good all the time.

#125 travolta, Aug 3, 2005
    Last edited by moderator starfish07: Aug 3, 2005
  6. Rhizm

Rhizm New Member

Maybe because I live in Belgium I see more of his collection?? I don't know? But I have to give it to you: it is true that not all Margiela items use the same quality fabrics like for example Veronique Branquinho, Ann Demeulemeester or Dries van noten do (I have a Margiela T -shirt that after 2 weeks had a little hole in the fabric, that shouldn't be possible!).
    When it comes to high quality, Dries van Noten even rules! Considering detailing and precision, I go for Branquinho.

7. faust

faust New Member

Well, I've been to Antwerp twice (can't wait to go back), and the stock I've seen at Louis is a fraction of what I've seen here in New York at IF Boutique (which has carried and supported Margiela from day one). Not that I'm griping about Margiela too much - I usually get his stuff at half the wholesale price :D

VBs prices are simply outrageous here, and I prefer her womens collections much more. She also had fit issues in the past, I hope that's fixed (I haven't been seduced by her menswear in the last few collections). Ann Demeulemeester is another matter - I'm her biggest fan :heart: ^_^ .

#127 faust, Aug 3, 2005
    Last edited by moderator Forever GQ: Aug 3, 2005
  8. Rhizm

Rhizm New Member

VB's last summer collection was great! I loved the whole "Lost Soul" theme. But the press pictures definitely did not do the clothes justice (they are more special than the pictures made them seem, specially regarding the fabrics that she uses). The fit issue with VB however stays. I usually wear a size 48 but for some of her clothes (only the polo shirts actually) I had to take a size 46 wich is bizar (it was the first time in 10 years I had to take a size other than 4:cool:
    Prices for her clothes are quite high though, even here in Antwerp :( .

9. sea of stitches

sea of stitches New Member

heehee, that wouldn't be ugly to me. even if one did consider it ugly, i think it would still fall into the "good" ugly category, which as i said before, isn't all ironic references. i agree that irony is quite fashionable these days though. and yes, both take a bit of thought/effort (so they are not easy/ugly that was originally mentioned).

with leisure wear, there are many groups that have leisure wear as an intergral part of their style that come to my mind. it is possible to be stylish and dress comfortably. i know many people who don't care at all about fashion, but end up looking pretty good. and it's even okay if they don't look good, but I don't have to like it. luckily, there are other things that make a person admirable. anyway, i'm going to stop now before i go into a long ramble about my personal philosophies...

sorry it took me so long to reply, i've been a busy sewing bee.

10. travolta

travolta New Member

sea of stitches you should post your creations!

anyways, i think i should have interpreted faust's comment as tongue in cheek for my own benefit!!

11. Edwards4Gucci

Edwards4Gucci New Member

Can i just point out that Donatella has f***ed up the house of Versace and plays with the same concept every season. But DsqUARED is genius no matter what anybody says.

#131 Edwards4Gucci, Aug 6, 2005
    Last edited by moderator PovertyDLux: Aug 14, 2005
  12. Yanka

Yanka New Member

Valentino, Karl Lagerfeld, Tommy Hilfiger all lost touch with reality about 20 year ago

13. Pooja

Pooja New Member

i would have to say marc jacobs.

most of the stuff he makes looks like something missoni would vomit. its like real bad 70's garage sale stuff but like WAY more expensive.

14. lilbabe80

lilbabe80 New Member

I agree. I never understood the hype with Marc Jacobs. I don't think his designs are flattering. I can appreciate "fashion" but I think the whole point of clothes is to enhance ones features and attributes (but maybe that's just me). Also, for the pricetag, I expect quality in fabric and construction.

I also liked Chloe before it went all loose, baggy, and shapeless.

15. isolde inveins

isolde inveins New Member

i have a serious issue with Versace in that it is still clawing in the *** of the 1990's, it cannot get into the new millenium and into what is considered "neo". the only reason it is still recognized as a label is because of its past, it having been successful. i feel that Donatella has brought nothing but tackyness and a sense of old-lady-manure to the label. It needs to REINVENT itself with a new successor.

The reason for Mark Jacobs' triumph is because he did what VERSACE did not. he was simple, laid-back and young. he did old-school with a new "fresh" twist, combining old roots with 20th century-new ones. Obviously, he was a breathmint to a decade of frizz-fried fabric.

16. - belle -

- belle - New Member

Versace (although it has some good clothes) and Cavalli :yuk:

17. justinelm

justinelm New Member

Versace, Cavalli, D^2, D&G : makes no sense anymore and most of it is just ugly.

18. kathyjeanc

kathyjeanc New Member

19. AlexN

AlexN New Member

Hedi Slimane

20. new_dawn_fades

hey guys .. i agree with most on versace and dolce-- what about dsquared.. its such trash.. i saw this dude with this chopped up ugly baseball cap in a dirty *** orange that says chip chip mutherfucker...