Desperate Housewives stars to boycott Emmys?

A

anastars

STAYING AT HOME

Desperate Housewives actresses Teri Hatcher, Eva Longoria and Marcia Cross may snub this year's Emmy Awards after failing to pick up any nominations. With the only star from the show to land an individual nomination being Alfre Woodard in the Best Supporting Actress In A Comedy category, the other Housewives are reportedly feeling less than enthusiastic about attending. "None of them are going," a source claims. "Felicity Huffman may go as a presenter because she won the lead actress Emmy last year and they usually have last year's winner present this year's award. But the rest of them are definitely not going. If you're not nominated, you really don't have a reason to go. It's a lot of prep work to get in shape, all made-up, pick gowns and dressed-up to these things. It's exhausting. And if you're not up for an award, and it's just going to be embarrassing, why go?" (19 July, 2006, 8AM) SOURCE: LOS ANGELES TIMES

That sophomore slump feeling certainly showed up amongst this year’s Emmy award nominations with last year’s big winners “Lost” and “Desperate Housewives” failing to garner nominations in most of the key categories, including the ones they won in last year like best actress and drama series respectively. This is the year the Emmys were supposed to break new ground. Breathless stories ran in Variety and the Hollywood Reporter recently about how the new voting system would lead to some wonderful surprises that would revitalize interest in the long distrusted award show and reward some new talent.
‘24′ and ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ have dominated the nominations for the 58th Annual Emmy Awards in the US. ‘24′ with their action thriller series, has been nominated in 12 categories while ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ has received 11 nominations; both are nominated for Outstanding Drama Series.
They go up against long running HBO gangster show ‘The Sopranos’ and the recently cancelled political drama ‘The West Wing’. Both shows have previously scooped the accolade.
‘Curb YoView the profile for Kate Winslet on Celebrity Spotlightur Enthusiasm’, ‘Two and a Half Men’, ‘Scrubs’, ‘The Office’ and ‘Arrested Development’ are all in the running to be named Outstanding Comedy Series.

Interesting there were a lack of new series from this past season garnering serious attention. Whilst new hit cable shows like “The Closer”, “Huff” and “Weeds” took in nods, of the new network shows it was only female acting turns in shows like “My Name is Earl”, “The New Adventures of Old Christine”, “Commander-in-Chief” and “Out of Practice” that got any attention in the major categories. British mini-series imports “Bleak House” & “”Elizabeth I” also fared superbly.
Last year’s Emmy winner for best comedy series, Desperate Housewives, was shut out in series and acting categories with one awkward exception: Alfre Woodard, who has since left the show, was nominated for best supporting actress.
Among the other stars who have been nominated across the various TV categories are: Gillian Anderson (’Bleak House’); Lisa Kudrow (’The Comeback’); Debra Messing (’Will & Grace’); Kyra Sedgwick (’The Closer’); Martin Sheen (’The West Wing’) and the ‘Extras’ trio of Patrick Stewart, Ben Stiller and Kate Winslet.

Here’s the 2006 Emmy nominees of major category:
COMEDY SERIES
“Arrested Development”, FOX
“Curb Your Enthusiasm”, HBO
“The Office”, NBC
“Scrubs”, NBC
“Two And A Half Men”, CBS

DRAMA SERIES
“Grey’s Anatomy”, ABC
“House”, FOX
“The Sopranos”, HBO
“24″, FOX
“The West Wing”, NBC

MINISERIES
“Bleak House”, PBS
“Elizabeth I”, HBO
“Into The West”, TNT
“Sleeper Cell”, Showtime

MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE
“Flight 93″, A&E
“The Flight That Fought Back”, Discovery Channel
“The Girl In The Café”, HBO
“Mrs. Harris”, HBO
“Yesterday”, HBO

REALITY
“Antiques Roadshow”, PBS
“The Dog Whisperer”, National Geographic Channel
“Extreme Makeover: Home Edition”, ABC
“Kathy Griffin: My Life On The D-List”, Bravo
“Penn & Teller: bullsh*t”, Showtime

REALITY COMPETITION PROGRAM
“The Amazing Race”, CBS
“American Idol”, FOX
“Dancing With The Stars”, ABC
“Project Runway”, Bravo
“Survivor”, CBS

ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Larry David, “Curb Your Enthusiasm”
Kevin James, “The King Of Queens”
Tony Shalhoub, “Monk”
Steve Carell, “The Office”
Charlie Sheen, “Two And A Half Men”

ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Christopher Meloni, “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit”
Denis Leary, “Rescue Me”
Peter Krause, “Six Feet Under”
Kiefer Sutherland, “24″
Martin Sheen, “The West Wing”

ACTOR IN A MINISERIES OR MOVIE
Charles Dance, “Bleak House”
Donald Sutherland, “Human Trafficking”
Ben Kingsley, “Mrs. Harris”
Jon Voight, “Pope John Paul II”
Andre Braugher, “Thief”

ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Lisa Kudrow, “The Comeback”
Jane Kaczmarek, “Malcolm In The Middle”
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, “The New Adventures Of Old Christine”
Stockard Channing, “Out Of Practice”
Debra Messing, “Will & Grace”

ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Kyra Sedgwick, “The Closer”
Geena Davis, “Commander In Chief”
Mariska Hargitay, “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit”
Francis Conroy, “Six Feet Under”
Allison Janney, “The West Wing”

ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES OR MOVIE
Kathy Bates, “Ambulance Girl”
Gillian Anderson, “Bleak House”
Helen Mirren, “Elizabeth I”
Judy Davis, “A Little Thing Called Murder”
Annette Bening, “Mrs. Harris”

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Will Arnett, “Arrested Development”
Jeremy Piven, “Entourage”
Bryan Cranston, “Malcolm In The Middle”
Jon Cryer, “Two And A Half Men”
Sean Hayes, “Will & Grace”

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
William Shatner, “Boston Legal”
Oliver Platt, “Huff”
Michael Imperioli, “The Sopranos”
Gregory Itzin, “24″
Alan Alda, “The West Wing”

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MINISERIES OR MOVIE
Denis Lawson, “Bleak House”
Hugh Dancy, “Elizabeth I”
Jeremy Irons, “Elizabeth I”
Robert Carlyle, “Human Trafficking”
Clifton Collins Jr., “Thief”

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Cheryl Hines, “Curb Your Enthusiasm”
Alfre Woodard, “Desperate Housewives”
Jaime Pressly, “My Name Is Earl”
Elizabeth Perkins, “Weeds”
Megan Mullally, “Will & Grace”

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Candice Bergen, “Boston Legal”
Sandra Oh, “Grey’s Anatomy”
Chandra Wilson, “Grey’s Anatomy”
Blythe Danner, “Huff”
Jean Smart, “24″

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MINISERIES OR MOVIE
Kelly Macdonald, “The Girl In The Café”
Shirley Jones, “Hidden Places”
Ellen Burstyn, “Mrs. Harris”
Cloris Leachman, “Mrs. Harris”
Alfre Woodard, “The Water Is Wide”

GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Patrick Stewart, “Extras”
Ben Stiller, “Extras”
Martin Sheen, “Two And A Half Men”
Alec Baldwin, “Will & Grace”
Leslie Jordan, “Will & Grace”

GUEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Michael J. Fox, “Boston Legal”
Christian Clemenson, “Boston Legal”
James Woods, “ER”
Kyle Chandler, “Grey’s Anatomy”
Henry Ian Cusick, “Lost”

GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Shirley Knight, “Desperate Housewives”
Kate Winslet, “Extras”
Cloris Leachman, “Malcolm In The Middle”
Laurie Metcalf, “Monk”
Blythe Danner, “Will & Grace”

GUEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Kate Burton, “Grey’s Anatomy, ABC”
Christina Ricci, “Grey’s Anatomy”
Swoosie Kurtz, “Huff”
Patricia Clarkson, “Six Feet Under”
Joanna Cassidy, “Six Feet Under”

INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE IN A VARIETY OR MUSIC PROGRAM
Barry Manilow, “Barry Manilow: Music And Passion”
Stephen Colbert, “The Colbert Report”
Craig Ferguson, “The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson”
David Letterman, “Late Show With David Letterman”
Hugh Jackman, “The 59th Annual Tony Awards (2005)”

ANIMATED PROGRAM (less than one hour)
“Camp Lazlo”
“Family Guy”
“Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends”
“The Simpsons”
“South Park”

VARIETY, MUSIC OR COMEDY SERIES
“The Colbert Report”
“The Daily Show With Jon Stewart”
“Late Night With Conan O’Brien”
“Late Show With David Letterman”
“Real Time With Bill Maher”

VARIETY, MUSIC OR COMEDY SPECIAL
“78th Annual Academy Awards”
“Bill Maher: I’m Swiss”
“George Carlin: Life Is Worth Losing”
“McCartney In St. Petersburg”
“The XX Olympic Winter Games - Opening Ceremony”

womendiary.net

Not that I usually like Teri, Marcia and Eva's fashion choices, but I do hope they go to the Emmy's just because they bring a lot of glamour to the red carpet. Wasn't it at last years Emmy's that Marcia wore that fabulous green Elie Saab gown? Could be kind of boring without them there.

What a bunch of crap! They get paid up the ying-yang and they
complain that it takes too much time to dress up?! Whatever....:rolleyes:

BodhiTree said:
What a bunch of crap! They get paid up the ying-yang and they
complain that it takes too much time to dress up?! Whatever....:rolleyes:

That aside (which sounds like a joke to me anyway, not totally serious), DH had its best season ever, and for it not to get nominated is like a slap in the face. The lost finale for season 2 is also considered to be one of the finest finales ever made for television, and it was also snubbed. I mean, nobody cares about Emmy awards because they aren't taken that seriously but it still seems like an insult.

well, they are awfully self obsessed 'actresses' so i am glad they are not nominated.

Personally, I thought DH went downhill after the first season....seems, from what I've heard anyway (I stopped watching after 1st season) that they're just pulling the usual drama/suspense tricks to keep the show alive.

I dunno, I think it's a little overrated so I'm glad they didn't get any nominations....maybe time for them to get a taste of humble pie.

Again, like I've said before, I can't stand awards shows so I think they should just skip the hoopla and Fed-Ex everyone their awards.

copper said:
well, they are awfully self obsessed 'actresses' so i am glad they are not nominated.

Agreed.

What makes them the final authority on who should and shouldn't be nominated? :rolleyes:

Oh please. Who cares if they don't attend. I doubt I'll be watching the Emmys and thinking "Now where on earth are the Desperate Housewives?"

It's just some media ploy, imo.

i'm just happy the west wing got the nominations it deserved.

i think desperate housewives is good, but not that good. it's not classic tv.

VainJane said:
Personally, I thought DH went downhill after the first season....seems, from what I've heard anyway (I stopped watching after 1st season)

I've never heard that from anybody, and you should definitely judge it for yourself instead of listening to others...

the Dog Whisperer is up for an Emmy? ooh i hope that show wins. i adore Cesar :smile:

I just watched E News tonight and Ryan Seacrest asked Eva Longoria if this is true, and she said that it isn't true. She even has a dress picked out for Emmy's already.

misssakura said:
I've never heard that from anybody, and you should definitely judge it for yourself instead of listening to others...

eh...once they did the whole 'weird guy in the basement', Bree's dead husband, the plumber guy solving some murder and having that idiot kid go around killing people...it kinda lost me. IMO there's a point at which the writers cross the line from plausible to total nonsense.

I think they did the same thing with Alias...they ran out of things to do stories on and just came up with this crazy magical lost artifact crap involving Sydney's sister and 'dead' mom.

Being nominated for an Emmy is a privilege, not a right. I can't believe this is even a story.

I watched every ep of season 1 with my mom. We figured out the Dana/Zach thing waaaaaaaaaay early - when the blanket was a gender neutral yellew, and Dana is a gender neutral name - but stuck around to see how it would unfold. We were so freaking bored and disappointed by the finale that we skipped season 2, but have been catching pieces of repeats, really only enjoying it for Bree and Carlos. I've watched a great deal of the show, and come to my own opinion that it's crap that only gets watched in my house because we're tired and lazy on Sunday nights and Vincent D'onofrio manages to induce near homocidal feelings of annoyance, so Law and Order spinoff #23 is out.

Anyway, I was thrilled they weren't nominated. I think my response to hearing the tragic announcement on the radio was 'YES!' and a clapping of hands. And I hope they don't show up if they're going to be big babies about it. Now if we could only ensure that no one from The View or Friends would be there, I'd be so excited. As it is, I'll probably watch only to see if Gillian Anderson wins for Bleak House, and throw a fit if she doesn't. I'd also like to see as many awards as possible go to House, AD, and Office. I'd also like to see William Shatner win, because I :heart: him, and am feeling some of the 'this is unfair!' sentiment over Patricia Arquette and Hugh Laurie being passed over. Stupid overacting Chris Meloni.

oolie coco said:
Being nominated for an Emmy is a privilege, not a right. I can't believe this is even a story.

Totally! Sound like spoiled actresses to me... :innocent:

Good, I do hope they don't show, because I'm tired of them.....especially
Eva....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->