Difficult Designer / Brand Pronunciation #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you want Balmain? it's not balmine.
at the end we simply pronounce like 'man'. :flower:

On Basic Instinct one of the detective guys says the scarf Sharon Stone uses is a "Her-meez". Anne Hathaway also pronounced it "Her-meez" only to be quickly corrected "Air-mez" by Julie Andrews.
The former makes me shudder :lol:

Does anyone have any final word or video/audio proof for Rodarte? Seems to still have been some disagreement here.

I'm not kidding that twice in one shop I got corrected this week -- one salesguy sniffing at me and saying "it's not ro-dar-tay, it's ro-dahrt," and then not ten minutes later in another room and girl gave me a double take when, still embarassed since i was TOTALLY SURE it was ro-dar-tay, said "ro-dahrt" and rolled her eyes at me and said "oh, you mean ro-dar-tay."

Last edited by a moderator:
it's ro-dar-tay.

it's kind of stupid, i feel like it should be ro-dahrt. maybe there was supposed to be an accent on the e that got dropped.

Watever, hes just a salesguy. would u rather trust a salesguy or everybody else who pronounce them as "Rodarte?" Just like how i heard this lady at NM service desk pronounce Balmain as "Bal-main" lmao.

BTW, can u please help me with Guerlain? I am seriously embarrassed cuz i do not know how to ask for that perfume. :P lmao thanx.

Does anyone have any final word or video/audio proof for Rodarte? Seems to still have been some disagreement here.

I'm not kidding that twice in one shop I got corrected this week -- one salesguy sniffing at me and saying "it's not ro-dar-tay, it's ro-dahrt," and then not ten minutes later in another room and girl gave me a double take when, still embarassed since i was TOTALLY SURE it was ro-dar-tay, said "ro-dahrt" and rolled her eyes at me and said "oh, you mean ro-dar-tay."

it's ro-dar-tay.

it's kind of stupid, i feel like it should be ro-dahrt. maybe there was supposed to be an accent on the e that got dropped.

I was surprised when I heard it was pronounced ro-dar-tay.. when names like Chloe and Celine which both have accents on the e are just pronounced as if they didn't..

Because both Chloe and Celine are from France. Rodarte is like Hispanic cuz my coworker's last name is Rodarte and shes Latina. Too bad she doesnt know that she has such a koo last name. lol

I was surprised when I heard it was pronounced ro-dar-tay.. when names like Chloe and Celine which both have accents on the e are just pronounced as if they didn't..

Yeah Rodarte is pronounced Ro-dar-tay,I was surprised too but I watched The September Issue and Grace Coddington pronounced it like that and I think I'll trust somebody like her :wink:

I am really confused. :huh: Forvo.com tells me that Raf Simons is pronounced as it is spelled in Dutch except you rrroll the r like you never rrrolled before, but Hypebeast.com tells me that it is "rauph SEE-mon". Is the Hypebeast pronounciation the fancy French/Fashion version? :smartass: :lol:

^ I don't speak Flemish, but i think it's nearer to Dutch than French. :flower: So for me, the forvo version seems to be good.

I am really confused. :huh: Forvo.com tells me that Raf Simons is pronounced as it is spelled in Dutch except you rrroll the r like you never rrrolled before, but Hypebeast.com tells me that it is "rauph SEE-mon". Is the Hypebeast pronounciation the fancy French/Fashion version? :smartass: :lol:

Assuming Simons is from the Dutch speaking part of Belgium, I can't see why anything would be wrong with the Forvo pronunciation. Dutch has a trilled -r, like in the Forvo audio sample, as opposed to the English retroflex -r, so one would expect the rolled -r like you heard.

Even under French phonotactics, the Hypebeast pronunciation is incorrect. "Raf" would not be pronounced "Rauph," and the nasal alveolar consonant -n is not pronounced word-finally, so Simons would not be pronounced "SEE-mon" but closer to "See-mo" with the final vowel nasalized, like the pronunciation for "bon".

EDIT: I see MetricSam has cleared things up.

EDIT 2: I wish more people would use Forvo, especially those who pronounce Giorgio "Gior-geeyo".

Last edited by a moderator:
I say Simmuns but one of my friends says Seyemons oh well it seems so simple but pronunciation never is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->