Difficult Designer / Brand Pronunciation #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Designer Pronunciation

If there is already a thread like this, mods please delete and redirect me.

I am one of those people who have certain designers I know and love, and love to follow. However, sometimes I don't know exactly how to pronunciate their names correctly. I have heard designers' names or brand names on tv and thought "So that's how you say it!?" So I wanted to make this thread so we could all help eachother out. Right now, I can only think of one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard "Balmain" being said on tv and beforehand, I always said it like "Ball-mane," however the woman on tv said it like "Bal-mon." Which is correct and do you have any you would like to share that some may find a bit challenging to pronounce?

Great idea!

I don't know...I've always said balMAIN and I've heard it being said that way too...

The only one I can think of is Ermenegildo Zegna :D it's so long! Is it just ER-menee-gildo?

When I was younger (we're talking very, very young...around 8 or 9) I thought Louis Vuitton was pronounced "loo-is vutt-un" :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not a king of phonetics ...

but ...

I pronounce Alber like Albert - anglophones pronounce the 't', i think ... Just don't pronounce the 't' ...
Al-Bear

Lanvin ... would be ...
the "an" is pronounced like the "en" or "an" in "dent" (tooth), "gant" (glove) etc.
the "in" is pronoucened like the "ain" in "pain" (bread), or the "in" in "vin" (wine) etc.
L/an/v/in

BUt then again ... I think some people pronounce bad ... even in France ...
I heard Carine Roitfeld said Ghesquière the wrong way ... But she knows Nicolas Ghesquière much better than I do, so maybe Ghesquière pronounces his last name another way than the correct way ...

GH normally sound like "gh" in "ghetto" ... But Roitfeld says "GH" like in "jeu" ... which isn't correct !

Ghesquière should normally sound :
Guess/Ki/air ...

and Balmain would be :
Bal (like a Bal) / M/ in (once you know how to pronounce "vin" (wine) you can pronounce ain-aim-in etc.)

I found this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrPFrkrUmt4 ...
It's in quebecois ... But the "in" is right pronounciation at the end !!!

Ermenegildo Zegna is Air-men-a-jill-doh Dz-enya

I learnt that a while back. In this thread :wink:

^Thanks! I see the threads have merged.

Ahh so it's Bal-mon! I think North Americans tend to ignore the original ways of pronounciation, I swear I've heard Bal-MAIN hundreds of times...:ninja:

BUt then again ... I think some people pronounce bad ... even in France ...
I heard Carine Roitfeld said Ghesquière the wrong way ... But she knows Nicolas Ghesquière much better than I do, so maybe Ghesquière pronounces his last name another way than the correct way ...

GH normally sound like "gh" in "ghetto" ... But Roitfeld says "GH" like in "jeu" ... which isn't correct !

Really? :shock: Maybe he spells his name in a different dialect... But I think it was a slip of tongue... :unsure:

^ With Zh at the beggining. (Like Dasha Zhukova.)
I rather pronounce it like Zhi-vahn-shi.

This thread makes my tongue very twisted! :lol: I'm glad I know how to pronounce most of the names without this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->